School List Help? (Reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tensticks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Re-applicant from the 2014 cycle. Last time I applied I took the June MCAT and didn't submit primaries till beginning of August (late, yes I know). I would really appreciate it if any of you could help out with suggesting schools to apply to. I've looked at MSAR, but I feel like I get too caught up in stats and don't look at the curriculum/school lifestyle enough.

1. MCAT was a 29 before and now it's 36.
  2. GPA is 3.7 cumulative, 3.5 science. This is improved from the last time I applied.
  3. Last time I applied mainly East Coast schools - I'm from Maryland. I'm trying to spread out more, but at the same time I want to stay as close to family as possible. Most of the schools in the list below I will be an official re-applicant (the last four I'm a first time applicant).
  4. Since graduating with my undergrad I've been a full time research assistant whereas before I didn't have any research experience. I don't have any publications out yet, but I think I will in the next six months.
  5. Volunteer work/Clinical/EC's - Food bank volunteering every month, tutoring high school students, over 280 hours volunteering in surgery and cardiovascular surgery nursing unit at a hospital known for helping the underserved. I also work/volunteer at a stable and manage barn/horse care 2-3 days a week and worked all throughout undergrad to pay bills. I also did volunteer work at a stable that held riding lessons/therapy for kids with autism, muscular dystrophy, etc.
  6. I have six LOR's from the pre-health committee at my undergrad university, 2 science professors , 1 non-science professor, my employer and the hospital volunteer coordinator. All should be strong, though volunteer coordinator likes to write generic letters :/.

My school list so far

Univ. of Maryland
Johns Hopkins
VCU
UVA
V. Tech
EVMS
GW
Georgetown
Howard
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Cooper
Duke
Wake Forest
Miami Miller
University of Michigan

I'm considering Boston U, Tufts, Penn State, and Emory but I'm on the fence about them at the moment.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you URM- specifically AA? If not, I would take off Howard.
Which schools did you previously apply to? 2x applicants go in a separate pile for a more stringent look- your MCAT improved, awesome score! What were your old gpas? What ECs did you add that would impress them this cycle?

Are you URM- specifically AA? If not, I would take off Howard.
Which schools did you previously apply to? 2x applicants go in a separate pile for a more stringent look- your MCAT improved, awesome score! What were your old gpas? What ECs did you add that would impress them this cycle?

Thank you :) yeah I worked really hard to get that score.

No I'm not (I'm South Asian), but I want to apply to Howard regardless since it is a school close to home. My old GPAs were 0.1 below what I have currently. My senior year was probably the best in terms of grades so that helped a lot. All the schools on the list above I've applied to with the exception of Duke, Wake Forest, Miami Miller, and U Michigan. I want to expand my list but I'm not sure how yet. I've been looking at all sorts of schools on MSAR but needed some advice so that's where you guys come in :).

Previously I didn't have much clinical experience - might have had only 75 or so hours whereas now I have over 280. The food bank volunteering is also new since the last cycle. Beyond that, I'm always at work full-time, which happens to be a research assistant position, so those are the only things I can fit in after work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest

Univ. of Maryland
VCU
UVA
V. Tech
EVMS
GW
Georgetown
Drexel
Einstein
Jefferson
Temple
Duke
Wake Forest
Miami Miller
Boston U,
Tufts,
Emory
Hofstra
U WV
U Rochester
Albany
NYMC

I suggest

Univ. of Maryland
VCU
UVA
V. Tech
EVMS
GW
Georgetown
Drexel
Einstein
Jefferson
Temple
Duke
Wake Forest
Miami Miller
Boston U,
Tufts,
Emory
Hofstra
U WV
U Rochester
Albany
NYMC

Thanks Goro! I will definitely look into the schools you suggested :).

Updated List for this coming year:

Howard
VCU
GW
Albany
EVMS
Temple
V. Tech
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Georgetown
Hofstra
UMD
Miami
Duke
Boston U
UVA
Johns Hopkins
U Michigan

I'm still on the fence about Drexel after seeing their facilities and reading about their curriculum. It seemed like Jefferson and Temple were better choices, so if anyone can help with that I would appreciate it!