MD School List Help TX res, 32 MCAT, 3.82 cGPA, 3.81 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athlete421

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty standard, no particular wow factor to my app...lol

TX resident, ORM, gap year applicant, B.S. degree in a commonly done major lol

I don't know how to fix the thread title, but I incorrectly typed my GPA in the title.
32 MCAT
3.85 cgpa
3.82 sgpa

(TMDSAS calculator is so much nicer than AMCAS..TMDSAS gave me a 3.91 and 3.90 lol)

Solid LORs from docs and profs who i worked under serving longterm leadership type roles. Couldn't have asked for any better ones!

my healthcare experiences = basic hands-on. All are like scribing (vitals, obtaining histories, recording exam/physician-patient encounter, etc.)

Left out details and excluded mentioning some activities/employent for anonymity and brevity.

- chief scribe, primary care field, 1.5 years and ongoing
- assistant, free clinic - 4+ years, ongoing
- assistant, peds clinic - 2+ years, ongoing but mostly dedicated to the two above activities
- CNA
- all physican shadowing in college was done in plenty and indirectly through the above experiences. Direct shadowing was done for other healthcare professions to help me decide my career path.

Some non-clinical stuff:
- TA for 1 yr
-volunteer for local house of worship - 4+ years, ongoing
-pre health society member, 4yrs undergrad, chose non-clinical/healthcare volunteering activities to participate in

No research...

Applying to all TX schools.

Based on SDN, it seems like most TX residents are covered by just applying to TX schools, but are there any OOS schools i should consider?

And are baylor and utsw too out of reach for me? That no research thing....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be competitive for the TX schools. Apply also to UT Dell (now showing up on the LCME website as Accredited-preliminary status) and UT Rio Grande when it receives preliminary accreditation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Normal TX applicants gain little by applying OOS MD.
Extraordinary ones can apply to the country's most selective schools.
More modest candidates are well served by applying OOS DO, though.

Luckily you have a strong gpa. They put a lot of store in gpa in TX.

You'll be fine. UTSW may waitlist you based on your MCAT, but it's very possible they could throw you an invite. Baylor is a long shot.

I'm wary about the volunteering at a house of worship. In what capacity was that in? Otherwise, you should have no problem nailing down an acceptance from one of our schools!

Thank you for the responses, everyone!

Yeahhh, Baylor was kinda my dream school, followed by UTSW. Oh well.

PM'ed you about the volunteering question you asked, @Nysor_bttw

Last edited: