school list help - WAMC in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quintapov

Reaction score
I'm a white, non trad. PhD in Anthro, and I've been working the last few years as a medical researcher at a R1 school in California.

sgpa/CGPA are both 3.9.

mcat score is 521

I have seven first author pubs, with three more I'm working on right now. About 25 total publications.

Volunteer and shadowing hours are weak. I have over 100 hours of non clinical volunteer and only 40 to 50 shadowing and non clinical hours.

I'm struggling to finish a school list. Do I just stick with the top 15 research schools or should I expand my search more broadly to lower ranking schools? I don't want to get "low yielded" but I also know how competitive those schools are and my volunteer hours are not great.

I prefer to stay in California.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

If you only apply to top 15 schools, despite your dream experiences, pubs, and academics, you risk not getting in. Every year, ~8% of MCAT 100 percentile trainees do not get in. Why? Too elitist...
For MD/PhD state of residency does NOT matter. US citizen/PR is all what matters.

See my typical advice in other WAMC. To cruise and triage interviews as they are offered, you need to add 5 schools in the 31-40 list, 5 schools in the 21-30, plus your 20 top 20 schools.

Thanks for the advice. I've tweaked my list and included a number of lower ranked research schools.

I'm not interested in MD/PhD program because I already have a PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then, you are in the wrong forum.... Every year, ~120 matriculants out of the ~20,000 first-year MD matriculants had earned a prior PhD out of 360 applicants. That is a lower acceptance rate than the entire pool of applicants. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.