WAMC/School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bahsirydderidep

Reaction score
  1. cGPA-3.84 and sGPA-3.79
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: Sep 2023 520 (131/129/129/131)
  3. State of residence: PA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian (Indian)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Temple University
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. ~1000 hours as an ED scribe, honestly not much pt interaction but was a trainer for new scribes in the later part of my tenure
    2. Will have ~800 hours as a medical assistant at a smaller IM physician office. Daily and frequent pt interaction doing procedures and rooming pts. Medical assistant job is current full time and will continue doing it into my gap year
  7. Research experience and productivity: 800 hr; one poster presentation with first place poster award (just at a symposium for the university tho, not a conference or anything); one pub that may or may not be ready by application time. Was the first undergrad in this particular lab so was responsible for training all the undergrads that came after.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: No true shadowing experience but I've seen other people extrapolate scribing hours into shadowing since I see everything the physician does in the room, so will probably put about 50-100 hours ED shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- 100 hours tutoring disadvantaged K-12 students in science and math + 50 hours working with young inner city children on early reading skills
  10. Relevant honors or awards- First place poster award in undergraduate category at school wide symposium; multiple dean's list; presidential full tuition scholarship
  11. Potential red flag is my LORs: I will have strong LORs from my PI and a doctor I work with currently but my two professor LORs will likely be fairly generic as I didn't have a super close relationship with any profs in college
School List: UPenn, Pitt, PSU, Hofstra, Temple, NYU, Brown, WUSTL, UCLA, Drexel, Brown, Columbia, Sinai, Einstein, Geisinger, Jefferson, Hackensack, Tufts (looking to add at least 10 more schools but still working out the list)

Please give me any feeback on school list/what I can improve in the next 2-3 months.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Non-clinical volunteering- 100 hours tutoring disadvantaged K-12 students in science and math + 50 hours working with young inner city children on early reading skills
This goes in the tutoring bin, and practically all premeds tutor. You don't have any service orientation activities, and that puts your application at risk of getting screened out at most schools.

Plus, I have no sense of your campus club involvement or impact.

What is your purpose to be a doctor?

You should accumulate 150 hours of non clinical volunteering such as food bank, homeless shelter, etc. before you submit your application.
Remove UCLA (admit few non residents with no connection to the state) and you could add any of these:
Rochester
George Washington
Boston University
USF Morsani
Duke
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad :)
This goes in the tutoring bin, and practically all premeds tutor. You don't have any service orientation activities, and that puts your application at risk of getting screened out at most schools.

Plus, I have no sense of your campus club involvement or impact.

What is your purpose to be a doctor?
Got it, I had some people tell me that because both activities involved working with underserved populations they could count as non clinical volunteering. Is this not the case?

As far as campus club involvement, I don’t really have much to speak of. I was part of a social fraternity for my sophomore and junior year and was on their philanthropy committee.

Got it, I had some people tell me that because both activities involved working with underserved populations they could count as non clinical volunteering. Is this not the case?

As far as campus club involvement, I don’t really have much to speak of. I was part of a social fraternity for my sophomore and junior year and was on their philanthropy committee.
Tutoring/teaching/mentoring I think is a separate category in AMCAS and does not address alleviating others' distress to demonstrate service orientation. As I mention, tutoring and teaching of underserved populations is an overrepresented activity among premed applications so it won't help you stand out as addressing the service orientation competency. Teaching/tutoring demonstrates academic mastery (if you know it well enough to teach it...).