School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglova

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
3.8 is considered low now?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on advice from the preprof office at my school due to exorbitant grade inflation at top tier undergraduate colleges its not worth applying to top tier medical schools without a 3.9 even if you have a really good MCAT score.

bruh. just apply to the t20 and your state schools and you'll be f i n e.

If you took the MCAT after your Junior year and applying next cycle, doesn't that put you at a risk of having that near perfect MCAT expired if you don't get in? Though there's a good chance you'll get at least one acceptance, but every year there are students with perfect stats that end up reapplying. If I were you, I would apply this cycle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

My preprof advisor told me that because I had to quit research abruptly after being diagnosed with cancer, I must get some research in order to even have any chance before applying and really try to see whether I can get a publication. Also we have to get committee approval before applying and the deadline for that was like early this year and I missed it. But yes I realize I only have one chance to apply before the strongest part of my application dissapears... and I don't think I'll every have the time and effort and luck again to put in and score similarly.

Also quick dumb question: If my mom is from Spain and I am part Spanish ethnically, does that make me latino/ hispanic? Adviser said who are you kidding. But I don't see why not especially since I also speak Spanish. Still looking for schools to add.

Also quick dumb question: If my mom is from Spain and I am part Spanish ethnically, does that make me latino/ hispanic? Adviser said who are you kidding. But I don't see why not especially since I also speak Spanish. Still looking for schools to add.

In the AMCAS app, when you check off Latino/Hispanic, there is specifically a part that says "of Spanish origin". Seems legit to me.

Add all the top schools. Your advisor is a dumb person.

Ya if I were you OP I would only be applying DO schools with that GPA idk if any schools will even look at your app

Reactions: 1 users
@mw18 Any specific medschools which like upper tier colleges and mcats and don't mind a lower GPA. My adviser said Georgetown has a high mcat screen and cares more about undergraduate institution, so that's the only one I have.

am i the only one smelling troll?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
am i the only one smelling troll?
It occurred to me. But I've seen so much neuroses and poor advising that I'm biting.

@mw18 Any specific medschools which like upper tier colleges and mcats and don't mind a lower GPA. My adviser said Georgetown has a high mcat screen and cares more about undergraduate institution, so that's the only one I have.
Your gpa isn't low for any school. So that advice wouldn't apply to you. You should volunteer a lot this year, and find ways to really help people. Get other clinical experience than scribing. Then apply to any top 20s you'd like, some mid-tier private and your state school. Also, fix your attitude about your grades and overall qualifications because while you may genuinely be insecure about them, it will come off as fake and pretentious as hell.

@bbdylan87 I promise I'm not a troll my secondary issue is originally, I thought I could write a personal statement about serious illness which could help make my case and convince people I want to go to medical schools and medical schools would be sympathetic to the lower gpa my junior year. But my preprof advisors think that my severe medical issues and resultant time off will hurt me a lot.

how did your advisor even get the job? jeez....

your stats look great, you'll be fine. when I read "Low GPA," I was expecting something along the lines of 3.4 <

You should go see your schools psychologist to get over your inferiority issues. I am 100% serious please go see help.

You are competitive for any school in the country.

Are there any schools which I should add which are sympathetic to a lower gpa or health issues given that I picked a hard major and a difficult school I’m trying to get to 20. Perhaps I should have named this thread health issues chances because my adviser seems to think that the biggest problem will be that my health issues will negatively impact me and make medical schools think I’m too much of a risk. I’m still frustrated by the idea that health issues that aren’t my fault will look as bad as she said.

Last edited:
Are there any schools which I should add which are sympathetic to a lower gpa or health issues given that I picked a hard major and a difficult school I’m trying to get to 20. Perhaps I should have named this thread health issues chances because my adviser seems to think that the biggest problem will be that my health issues will negatively impact me and make medical schools think I’m too much of a risk. I’m still frustrated by the idea that health issues that aren’t my fault will look as bad as she said.
How many times do they have to say that you're competitive for any school with your stats? And what lower GPA are you talking about? GPAs in the 3.7-4.0 range are no easy fit aka "as competitive as you can get". You can stop trolling now.

You've got great stats and an awesome life story! Definitely apply early and you'll be set

Hi guys,
I'm not actually applying this cycle, but someone writing a recommendation for me wants a school list. Here is what I have so far along with my stats and my schools
  1. Undergrad: Top 5 University
  2. State of residence: trying to stay anonymous
  3. GPA: 3.81 overall, 3.89 BCPM. MCAT 527: Biomedical Engineering and Math double major.
Freshman Semester 1: 18 credits, 6 classes
Semester GPA: 3.7 [rough start + issues managing my chronic disease independently + unfortunately was not aware that an A- avg is not great until I met with pre prof advisor],

Freshman Semester 2: 16 credits, 5 classes
Semester GPA: 3.83 [pre-prof adviser told me to gun for ~3.85]

Sophomore Semester 1: 20 credits [yikes], 7 classes
Semester GPA: 3.86

Sophomore Semester 2: 21 credits [I used to be a compsci double before I switched to math when I got sick lolol #teamnosleep], 7 classes
Semester GPA: 3.88

Junior Semester 1: 16 credits
Semester GPA: 3.55 [diagnosed and treated for endometrial cancer, I'll leave out details but it felt like nothing mattered anymore]

Junior Semester 2 15 credits
Semester GPA/sGPA: 3.83 [started the semester 3 weeks late due to surgery, asked to take a health leave of absence at the conclusion of the semester because of illness.]

~1 year health leave: took MCAT~

Senior Semester 1: 15 credits: 5 classes
Semester GPA: 4.00: A+ in every single class [Lots of support from various disability offices/ rights groups which helped me a lot.]

Senior Semester 2: 20 credits: 2 legit classes, 4 easy A upper level science classes
Semester GPA: 4.00: A+ in all but 1 class which gave an A [took a really weird machine learning class]

1. Explanation of low GPA/ high MCAT discrepancy: I had several health issues including endometrial cancer during college. As a result, I eventually had to take a health leave of absence from college to receive treatment for a year. Unfortunately my health issues reflected in grades, and I had to quite research after 2 years because of the side effects of my treatment. I feel cheated because I used to be on the right trajectory before my health issues ruined my life and my hopes and dreams.
  2. Ethnicity: Mixed: Asian and White lolol the worst of both worlds.
  3. Gap years will be spent doing research and being a scribe
  4. Unpaid lab research, which I had to quite after 2 years because I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. The treatment made me really weak and I physically was unable to continue doing research. Summer internships in medtech and consulting firms.
  5. Recommendations: Head of dept, adviser who taught me science course, math professor, humanities professor, doctor I worked with for research, research PI, and person from internship from top tier consulting firm [BCG/ Bain/ McKinsey]
  6. No publications, various poster presentations, business plan competition awards
  7. Shadowing: 80 totals hours
  8. Volunteering: ~300 hours
  9. President of 2 pre-medical related clubs at school, 6 service medical trips abroad, lesser leadership positions in other groups and other volunteer groups
  10. Other: Graduating equivalent of magna cum laude for top ~15% of class but not summa cum laude because I'm too stupid.
Tentative college list:
My preprof advisor last week told me to give up on applying to a top 30 college because medical schools won't like the fact that I've had so many health issues when there are so many applicants with better stats and better health than me and my high MCAT relative to GPA raises some issues related to work ethic. Also objectively my life has been pretty horrible after having cancer due to overall weakness and not being the same person anymore since I used to be smart but I'm not anymore I'm not expecting much anyways. I just want to get into any medical school.

1. LSU school of medicine
2. Umass Medical
3. Tufts University
4. Sidney Kimmel Medical College Thomas Jefferson University
5. University of Vermont
6. Eastern Virginia medical school
7. Virginia commonwealth medical school
8. Georgetown U
9. Tulane
10. Pennsylvania State University
11. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
12. Frank H Netter school of medicine at Quinnipiac university
13. University of maryland school of medicine.

Any schools I should add? More specifically. are there any schools which accept students with high mcat scores from top colleges with comparatively lower gpas. Advising office said my best bet was to apply to colleges that don't often get applications from my college. I don't know much about it but would it be worthwhile to try to add some DO schools or would I need to take more tests or do another application entirely.
Your advising office is so ignorant of the medical school application process, that they are actually sabotaging your attempts to be a doctor. From now on ignore what they have to say and listen to us.

Pay very careful attention. You have an application that will get you into WashU, Harvard, Stanford, or any other medical school you want.

Hi guys,
  1. Undergrad: Top 5 University
  2. State of residence: trying to stay anonymous
  3. GPA: 3.81 overall, 3.89 BCPM. MCAT 527: Biomedical Engineering and Math double major.
  1. Other: Graduating equivalent of magna cum laude for top ~15% of class but not summa cum laude because I'm too stupid.
Tentative college list:
My preprof advisor last week told me to give up on applying to a top 30 college because medical schools won't like the fact that I've had so many health issues when there are so many applicants with better stats and better health than me and my high MCAT relative to GPA raises some issues related to work ethic. Also objectively my life has been pretty horrible after having cancer due to overall weakness and not being the same person anymore since I used to be smart but I'm not anymore I'm not expecting much anyways. I just want to get into any medical school.
Advising office said my best bet was to apply to colleges that don't often get applications from my college. I don't know much about it but would it be worthwhile to try to add some DO schools or would I need to take more tests or do another application entirely.

Point 1 - OP is not a troll, we've been through this "I'm stupid" routine with her before.

Point 2 - OP, your advisers are actively hurting you. It's good that you're posting and asking here. Ignore the "you'll never get in medschool" advice.

Point 3 - OP, please please please get some counseling help for your "i'm stupid" routine. Yes, you've had bad luck with your illnesses and some spotty grades but that is not going to keep you out of medical school. Low self-esteem, however, may keep you out of med school - so stop with the "sky is falling" routine. Learn to live with your gpa history and your near-perfect MCAT. Play up your positives, learn to explain your negatives without self-bashing and get ready to apply.

Point 4 - You may need ongoing mental health support now and when you're in medical school. It's a sign of strength to get this help and not a sign of weakness. You've been dealt a bad hand with the cancer (and lupus too?) and it's not many med school applicants who've gone through that. You can grow from this experience but you may need help to support you while become your best self. Good luck.

Last edited:
But in any case, reach out to your individual professors. If you are willing to set out to them the circumstances you have expressed here, there should not be a problem with them providing you with good references. Create a script for writing to them, possibly something along the following lines -

"Hello. I am doglova, and I was in your [biology/maths etc] class/conducting [bio?] research in [semester and year]. I then suffered some serious health issues and took a leave of absence, and lost touch with you as a result - at the time I was undergoing treatment for cancer and found it a difficult subject to talk about. Fortunately I am now fully recovered.

I am hoping to make an application to med school, with a GPA of 3.77 and an MCAT of 527. I am hoping that you would be willing to write a good recommendation for me, based on [my performance before becoming ill]/[my performance while dealing with the effects of serious illness]. I look forward to hearing from you."

Good luck.

If you took the MCAT after your Junior year and applying next cycle, doesn't that put you at a risk of having that near perfect MCAT expired if you don't get in? Though there's a good chance you'll get at least one acceptance, but every year there are students with perfect stats that end up reapplying. If I were you, I would apply this cycle.

@doglova - I htink you should follow the advice @shopsteward gave you last summer and get letters from prior research posters and apply this year. @lenspx is pointing out that you don't want to go through the hell of MCAT studying again. Waiting to do research on the advice of your abysmally bad advisers is silly. You don't need to wait.

The problem would be that I wouldn’t actually have enough recommendations to work with if I tried this cycle. I tried reaching out to people I worked with in the past. But they either didn’t reply or said the grade they gave me for research was generous given the circumstances and they dont want to hear from me again since they didn’t appreciate being left in the dark for so long about my issues which I guess is fair. And I’m assuming most of the recs I have now are weak since they are all from after I returned and although I talked to them alot because I had to go out of the way to be super transparent about my health issues/ associated accommodations they don’t know anything other than how well I did in their class and having my resume.

OK, fair enough. The coming year will be useful to prove that you can control your work, scholarship and emotions while dealing with whatever life sends you and then get references that prove you can handle med school.

Good luck!

The problem would be that I wouldn’t actually have enough recommendations to work with if I tried this cycle. I tried reaching out to people I worked with in the past. But they either didn’t reply or said the grade they gave me for research was generous given the circumstances and they dont want to hear from me again since they didn’t appreciate being left in the dark for so long about my issues which I guess is fair. And I’m assuming most of the recs I have now are weak since they are all from after I returned and although I talked to them alot because I had to go out of the way to be super transparent about my health issues/ associated accommodations they don’t know anything other than how well I did in their class and having my resume.