School List help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmart

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know many will tell me not to apply, but I think I am going to apply regardless.

I took the mcat twice, original score 23M then retake was 26M. I think I could possibly improve it a few points maybe but I'm so sick of that test.

Science gpa about 3.0 Depends on what they let me count as sciences and for DOs they don't count math. Overall is a 3.34. I took one postbac course while working nights FT and got B in micro

ECs
-2 years of catholic volunteer/americore program working in an ER as a tech (3600 hours)
-1 publication
-3 years of enrolling and collecting data for research in the ER
-over 1 year as tech in another ER
-42 hours of shadowing (all ED docs)
-4.5 years of volunteering with church youth group
1 year of childrens litrugy
-4 relief trips to Haiti (total of 23 days there)
-leader with church groups
-4 years working as office assistant in hospital

my stats are not good but I feel that my experience and passion for service will help me

DO schools
Marian Univeristy
OU
maybe LECOM and NSU-COM

MD schools
Instate - OSU, NOUCOM, Wright State, Toledo and Cinci

OOS -
IU (ties to IN)
Cooper Medical School of Rowan Univrsity
Florida State University
Loma Linda
Marshall Univ
Michigan State Univ
Oakland University William Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth

Catholic Schools
-Georgetown, Creighton, Loyola and Saint Louis

total 18 MD schools

I choose these based on my mcat scores, newness, instate and catholic. I did not look at schools that contain MSAR mcat of 10th percentile being above 26. Should I look into some schools that are 27, or is my list good enough?

I haven't yet submitted, I will in a few days and the next week for my DO app.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and MCAT is below the 10th percentile for pretty much all MD schools. Your chances are slim at best. I would apply to less MD schools and just focus on DO. Even for many DO schools, your stats are slightly below average. Even though you have good ECs, I don't think they'll help as much as you think.

Applying to MDs with your stats, you'd be lucky to receive secondaries, and even then, you may just be donating to schools. I would plan for a retake or even look at ways to increase the gpa if you want to go to an allo program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying to MDs with your stats, you'd be lucky to receive secondaries, and even then, you may just be donating to schools. I would plan for a retake or even look at ways to increase the gpa if you want to go to an allo program.

Most MD schools send the secondaries regardless to collect the fee. I got GW's before I was even AMCAS certified...

OP: If you really want to go to med school you will do all that you can to make sure you present the best application in your power. As of now, I would say you have 0% chance at any MD school in the US. Statistics may say you have a low chance but in reality you don't...unless you have a pretty serious connection. As for DO schools..you have a slim chance if you apply broadly. If I were you..I would take another year and retake courses and replace the bad science grades and then apply to DO schools. Get your sGPA to around a 3.3 or higher if you can. With that GPA and a 26..you stand a much better chance for admission. You can also bulk up your EC's during that time.

Of course you can apply anyway but in my opinion you are wasting a ton of money on those MD schools.

Hey jmart,

Your ECs look amazing and they show your passion for medicine. I think you have a decent shot at a DO school. If MD is your dream I would recommend retaking the MCAT after completing a prep course. As far as your GPA goes, you should consider doing a graduate school program (make sure you do very well in it!) and retaking any science courses you did poorly in.

Good luck!