School List Non-trad URM/D1 Athlete/Pro Athlete/514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RobertFrost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could a receive interviews at any of these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Miami

I suggest the following:

U VM
USF Morsani
UCI
UCD
UCLA
UCSD
U MI
UCF
Duke
U Cincy
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
U HI (JAB)
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Hi all! I originally posted this in the URM forum, but was advised to post it here.

Ethnicity: Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
Degree: B.S. Exercise Science w/ concentration in Sports Performance
Country/state of residence: CA
Cumulative GPA: 3.51 (does not include PB)
Science GPA: 3.65 (does not include PB)
Post Bacc GPA: 4.0 (majority of prereqs)
MCAT Score: 514 (129 C/P, 127 CARS, 131 B/B, 127 P/S) only attempt.
Unfortunately spent the least amount of time on my two lowest sections, but know what to work on if I have to take it again.

Research: 100 hours genomics research with possible future publication.

Volunteering: Few hours here and there during undergrad helping with football camps. During my post bacc time period, I created a football training camp myself as well as worked with a lot of people getting them back in shape, or improving quality of life through exercise. One of my proudest moments was helping a young woman all but eliminate chronic back pain from spondylolysis. Approximately 300+ hours.

Employment History: Did not work during my undergraduate years. I was a professional athlete for a short time. Additionally, post professional career, I have been working as a scribe in the ED of a level II trauma center (only one in about 100 mile radius), running my own business, and working as part of the management team of a local coffee house.

Extracurricular activities: Played collegiate football at a major D1 school that is also a top public university. Although technically there is an NCAA rule that limits the amount of time student-athletes can devote to their respective sport, 20 hours/week, I can assure you we pushed the 60 hours/week level every single time. So football took a majority of my time, but none the less it was a fantastic experience.

Also helped as a student-coach for the sports performance staff for other sports teams. Approximately 1000 hours.

As stated in my employment history, I signed with a professional football team out of college. My career was unfortunately cut short due to an injury, but that is what has led me to medicine.

Interned at a Sports Performance Clinic. Approximately 1000 hours.

No physician shadowing or clinical volunteering. Although we see a lot of different specialties as scribes working in the ED, I felt like this was not necessary. Or maybe it is?

Immediate family members in medicine?: None. Zilch. Not even past generations.

Specialties of interest: Ortho, Neuro, EM, ENT (actually fractured cartilage in my throat playing football)

School List: With having run my own business and managing the coffee shop, I do have an interest in the business side of medicine as well. MD/MBA programs are of interest to me, but my list is not restricted to just those programs.

All CA schools
Oregon
Hawaii
Wisconsin
Miami
Indiana

I just need help figuring out what OOS schools are URM friendly/Non-trad friendly. I have the MSAR and have narrowed it down to where my MCAT lies relatively close to the median, but even so feel like its just a crap shoot figuring out where to apply.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

I would also add a couple of T20 schools just to see if any will bite in addition to some schools mentioned above. possibly being URM (not sure if Pacific Islander is everywhere) and playing professional football is extremely impressive/unique. Apply to 25+ schools and you should be fine