School list: PT (non trad) URM AA female

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Musculo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
AA female (mid 30s!)

Undergrad
cGPA: 3.5
SGPA: 3.7

PT school (doctorate):
cGPA: 3.8
SGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 498 (122/126/127/123)

I am currently a practicing PT, hoping to go into primary care medicine so I’m looking for med schools that are more mission driven. I’m looking to apply in the NY/NJ area.

Research: nothing interesting, just a couple qualitative and quantitative projects I did in PT school. I have zero interest in research.

ECs: I’ve volunteered with my church over 150s hours and done community outreach related to PT.

Shadowing: see healthcare experience

Healthcare experience: Obviously I have a ton of experience in healthcare, but I’ve worked in every setting except a school, so I’ve worked in conjunction with PCPs, hospitalists, ER docs, intensivits, orthopedic surgeons and oncologists the most, a bit with cardiologists, pulmonologists, and ENTs. I have also been an adjunct instructor in a PT program and I am a supervisor now and handle more regulation /documentation type of stuff.

I have a few issues (other than very limited geography). I have to finish up orgo 2 and biochem, which I will do in the spring. Also my prerequisites are pretty old (think mid 2000s) other than orgo 1 which I took at a CC this past spring and got an A-. I’m not sure how much the lack of shadowing will hurt me. Also, I am applying now which I know is LATE. Wondering if I should add any schools or delete any from my list.

My list so far:
MD:
Cooper Rowan
SUNY Upstate
SUNY downstate
Albany
Rochester
Buffalo
Georgetown
Howard
Rutgers (both)
Seton hall
NYMC
George Washington
Stony brook
Drexel
Temple
Better
Penn state
Geisinger

DO:
Rowan
PCOM
NYIT
Tuoro

Thank you for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When will you receive your MCAT score results ? Your application will not be reviewed until your MCAT score is available.

It should be available late sept/early October. I took it 9/1

Members don't see this ad :)
Post your score here when available in early October. I can give you a much better idea of where you could receive interviews with an actual score. It will make a big difference depending on how far above or below 500 your score is.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm fairly certain I can count out MD, which is fine with me. My question now is should I retake the MCAT in December for DO? I'm pretty sure I can do better on the chem/physics section, part of it was needing to shake of some test anxiety. That CARS is pretty consistent with what I've done on FLs. I doubt I can improve the biochem section much. The sociology I guess I could improve, I really didn't do much to prep for it. So I'm thinking I would probably still be around 505 if I retake. Is it worth it for just a few points?

You could still receive MD interviews. Have you submitted your secondaries ? If not you should in the next week. These are DO schools where you are most likely to receive an interview with a 498 MCAT:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews at any of them.

AA female (mid 30s!)

Undergrad
cGPA: 3.5
SGPA: 3.7

PT school (doctorate):
cGPA: 3.8
SGPA: 3.9

I am currently a practicing PT, hoping to go into primary care medicine so I’m looking for med schools that are more mission driven. I live in NY and have ties to NJ (grew up there, family still there). Because I have young kids, I’m looking to stay 3-4 hours from the NY/NJ area for med school.

Research: nothing interesting, just a couple qualitative and quantitative projects I did in PT school. I have zero interest in research.

ECs: I’ve volunteered with my church over 150s hours and done community outreach related to PT.

Shadowing: none, but plan to shadow with a DO I know shortly (who’s an OB).

Healthcare experience: Obviously I have a ton of experience in healthcare, but I’ve worked in every setting except a school, so I’ve worked in conjunction with PCPs, hospitalists, ER docs, intensivits, orthopedic surgeons and oncologists the most, a bit with cardiologists, pulmonologists, and ENTs. I have also been an adjunct instructor in a PT program and I am a supervisor now and handle more regulation /documentation type of stuff.

I have a few issues (other than very limited geography). I have to finish up orgo 2 and biochem, which I will do in the spring. Also my prerequisites are pretty old (think mid 2000s) other than orgo 1 which I took at a CC this past spring and got an A-. I’m not sure how much the lack of shadowing will hurt me. Also, I am applying now which I know is LATE. Wondering if I should add any schools or delete any from my list.

My list so far:
MD:
Cooper Rowan
SUNY Upstate
SUNY downstate
Albany
Rochester
Buffalo
Georgetown
Howard
Rutgers (both)
Seton hall
NYMC
George Washington
Stony brook
Drexel
Temple
Better
Penn state
Geisinger

DO:
Rowan
PCOM
NYIT
Tuoro

Thank you for any help!
It’s super late for MD, but I know folks with your score who have been successful. Try these schools out. Some of them are golden for their conditional acceptance post-baccs. You would only consider these if: you really want to get into an MD school and were, unfortunately, unsuccessful this cycle (at any school). Abyhow, here’s the short list:
Howard

Meharry

Ohio State University (research MEDPATH)

Indiana University (interview at the regional campuses though)

Seton Hall

You could still receive MD interviews. Have you submitted your secondaries ? If not you should in the next week. These are DO schools where you are most likely to receive an interview with a 498 MCAT:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews at any of them.

Thanks for your advice! I have been working on MD secondaries and have submitted most. I will complete them all this week. Should I realistically count out PCOM philly campus and NYIT-old westbury campus?

It’s super late for MD, but I know folks with your score who have been successful. Try these schools out. Some of them are golden for their conditional acceptance post-baccs. You would only consider these if: you really want to get into an MD school and were, unfortunately, unsuccessful this cycle (at any school). Abyhow, here’s the short list:
Howard

Meharry

Ohio State University (research MEDPATH)

Indiana University (interview at the regional campuses though)

Seton Hall
Thanks! I have applied to Howard and Seton Hall. I would strongly hesitate at the others due to my strong desire to be near family due to my 2 young kids. I don't know how I would do med school without their support.

Thanks! I have applied to Howard and Seton Hall. I would strongly hesitate at the others due to my strong desire to be near family due to my 2 young kids. I don't know how I would do med school without their support.
Understandable! Best of luck hun, im sure you’ll get in somewhere. If you have the finances, apply to the schools recommended and all the local DO schools nearest to you (regardless of your stats).

Understandable! Best of luck hun, im sure you’ll get in somewhere. If you have the finances, apply to the schools recommended and all the local DO schools nearest to you (regardless of your stats).
Thanks for you positive thoughts! The cost of this has been unreal, I'm eating air for lunch most days haha, but hopefully it pays off in the end!

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM Philly and NYIT Westbury are possible though they have higher MCAT medians than the schools I listed. Touro would be more likely.

PCOM Philly and NYIT Westbury are possible though they have higher MCAT medians than the schools I listed. Touro would be more likely.
Thanks, I will finish Tuoro’s secondary today.