School List Review: CA NON-TRAD URM WITH IA :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zourba

Reaction score
CA resident

URM

IA: Yes, alcohol freshman year RIP (shows up when I contacted student affairs)

GPA: (Non-trad)

2019 Undergrad (non STEM) 3.7

2021 CC 1: 3.5 (STEM)

2022 Post-bac program: 3.7 (STEM)

MCAT: 509 (1st time)

Volunteering - 100 hours (hospital directly speaking with patients in ED, no coffee carts, etc )

Shadowing - 20 hours (unofficially through volunteering and at work in my free time)

Patient Care: 800+ hours (Sitter and Unit sec in hospital)

Clinical research: 800+ ( direct contact administering exams and operating MRI etc) (worked on two different trials)

Non-clinical Research: 1000+ (3 undergrad research labs + NIH SROP summer program)

Non-clinical volunteering: 250

I have no medical school friends or family members to ask please help :)

1. UCSF
  2. UCR
  3. UCLA
  4. UCD
  5. UC Irvine
  6. Keck
  7. Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
  8. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  9. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  10. Icahn School of
  11. Medicine at Mount Sinai
  12. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
  13. Emory University School of Medicine
  14. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin
  15. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  16. Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  17. Tufts University School of Medicine
  18. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  19. Albany Medical College
  20. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  21. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  22. "Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  23. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  24. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  25. Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  26. Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
  27. "Wake Forest University School of Medicine
  28. Central Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

What are your cGPA and sGPA including all courses ? What is the nature of your non clinical volunteering ? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?

What are your cGPA and sGPA including all courses ? What is the nature of your non clinical volunteering ? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?

1. cGPA 3.66 & 3.50
2. 2013 - 2023 volunteered at the elementary school my parents founded (I know nepotism), started off spending summers helping paint classrooms and organizing files ... since graduating helping with fundraising, community outreach, and tabling at events. I know its not anything amazing but it's all I got
3. Mexican
4. Not fluent but I understand 90% of what I hear... in my ps, I stressed how understanding the culture has helped me relate to the patients I work with ... made it clear in my writing that I am not fluent

Members don't see this ad :)
Which mentoring organizations have you connected with? For California, every AMSA chapter and admissions office likely has designated student ambassadors representing all of their affinity organizations or can get you connected with LMSA, etc. MiMentor videos I think are available on YouTube. Our partner PreMedCC has videos on YouTube.

Need details on OIE, non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing. Are you from the Inland Empire?

Accumulate another 20 to 30 hours of physician shadowing before you submit your application.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)

Accumulate another 20 to 30 hours of physician shadowing before you submit your application.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCLA
UCSF
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
thank you for the list I will definitely add some of your recommendations!

Which mentoring organizations have you connected with? For California, every AMSA chapter and admissions office likely has designated student ambassadors representing all of their affinity organizations or can get you connected with LMSA, etc. MiMentor videos I think are available on YouTube. Our partner PreMedCC has videos on YouTube.

Need details on OIE, non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing. Are you from the Inland Empire?
OIE?

I have not reached out to mentoring organizations (should have but too late to go back in time)

Shadowing is unofficial, while volunteering in the ED the head of the ED would invite me to watch him triage patients on slow days.

Working in the hospital I see observe docs rounding, examining, and speaking with patients on a daily basis bc I am at the bedside for 8 hours each shift (did not count into the shadowing hours)

Bay Area so I already removed UCR from the list

OIE?

I have not reached out to mentoring organizations (should have but too late to go back in time)

Shadowing is unofficial, while volunteering in the ED the head of the ED would invite me to watch him triage patients on slow days.

Working in the hospital I see observe docs rounding, examining, and speaking with patients on a daily basis bc I am at the bedside for 8 hours each shift (did not count into the shadowing hours)

Bay Area so I already removed UCR from the list

You can always find the videos from past sessions from MiMentor and PreMedCC. I think SNMA also archives webinars. It's never "too late".