School list with 3.76-3.79 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby_Normal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: between 3.76 and 3.79, European studies major, consistently on dean's list, year abroad at prestigious European university

MCAT: haven't taken yet

Clinical experience:
Clinical volunteering 100+ hours with patient contact in ER, plus more this summer (hasn't started yet)
Shadowing primary care doctor

School-related EC's (just listing highlights):
tutoring
president and founder of model un team, freshman and sophomore years, again for senior year
Women in the Sciences (we organize lectures, host discussions, etc)
member of campus volunteer network freshman year
music
involvement in other clubs, societies, etc

Reciently moved to ME from NJ, go to school in MA

Ideally, I would like to stay in on the East Coast, preferably in the Northeast, but it seems many northeastern schools are among the more competitive (Yale, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, etc) and I don't want to make my list too topheavy.
Any thoughts on schools I should add/remove? Should I try for a few more "reach" schools, or is my list topheavy as it is? Are there any obvious options I'm overlooking?

Med School List ("?" indicates I'm on the fence for one reason or another):
Case Western
VCU
Tufts
UVT
UConn
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
SUNY Upstate
Albany (?)
Rosalind Franklin (?)
BU (?)
UMDNJ (?)
Tulane (?)
GWU
Georgetown
Rochester (?)
UVA

Members don't see this ad.

Since you don't have your MCAT back yet, it's difficult to make a prediction about your school list. With no research, your chance at a top 20 is unlikely. But you may want to add Sinai given your humanities background, although will be a reach given no research. Otherwise, since you are a NJ resident (I think?) make sure you have NMDNJ RWJ and make sure some of your schools take OOS (like I believe UVA prefers in-state). Some other schools to consider so that you have more of a "range" of schools would be NYU and Einstein. Otherwise your list looks good.

Thanks. I am no longer a New Jersey resident, seeing as my family moved to Maine this past year. I thought I would still give the New Jersey schools a shot on the offchance having lived there until this year might mean something. If it doesn't, I'll rethink.

I will consider adding Einstein, Mount Sinai, and NYU--I have been avoiding NYC schools because (a) the cost of living is so high there and (b) having spent the majority of my life in small towns (excepting a nine-ish months in a small European city), I find NYC terrifying.

For what it's worth, ideally I'm interested in a dual MD/MPH, but I'm willing to apply to schools not offering it because (a) if push comes to shove, I'd rather get an MD than no degree at all, and (b) for financial reasons, I'm not sold on taking the extra year to get an MPH now.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension fail, I read that as Maine to New Jersey, not the other way around.

NYC won't be any more terrifying than Philadelphia or DC. Of course if you have an aversion to big cities definitely don't apply.

I wouldn't worry to much about the MPH right now because it's easy to get an MPH once you're in med school. HOWEVER, there are some schools that offer an MPH built into the four years of med school so you don't have to pay any more tuition. Look into them. (Sinai is one of those schools).