School Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After finishing a pathology residency...how common is it to have your new employer pay your loans back??

Want to make a decision to pay these loans back during residency or not....Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

After finishing a pathology residency...how common is it to have your new employer pay your loans back??

Want to make a decision to pay these loans back during residency or not....Thanks.

I would say rather uncommon. (outside of military)

of 20-25 groups Im familiar with, ZERO payback loans. Of all the HMOs I know, none do.

It doesnt matter though. The IRS cracked down on loan forgiveness of all sorts and its considered taxable income regardless. I love how the government screws the little guy...time and time again.

Meanwhile Ibankers found a loop where they can declare their fees as capital gains and only 15% EFT rather than the 35% EFT we all pay in the 150+ bracket.

Before a salary of 150K and 50K of loan forgiveness was >>>200K salary, now they are equivalent.

Educational loans are really a total screw job. Figuring for every 1 buck you borrow, you need to earn 2 dollars to pay down the principal and another 2 bucks to pay off the compounding interest on a 30 year fixed, thats a ratio of 4:1. 200K borrowed today will cost you 800K in income down the road.