School of Dentistry Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Philosophy

Reaction score
Date of submission: 10/13 (applied schools in September and last LOR sent on 10/13).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
******* Please Do Not Quote This Post ********
Date of submission:
10/13 (applied schools in September and last LOR sent on 10/13).
Overall GPA: 3.05
Science GPA: 2.83
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA20; PAT21; QR21; RC20; BIO21; GC18; OC21; TS20
State of Residence: International

Undergrad Attended: Public Research Institute
Major: Biology
Minor: If double minor, list both here
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 1760 hours
Volunteering Experience: 570 hours
Employment: 7160 hours in research
Research: 7160 hours; 2 publications and more coming.
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-dental organization president, Teaching assistant,
Relevant Honors or Awards: President's volunteer service awards, dean's list, dormitory leadership award
LOR type and strength: Dentist, 2 science professor/lecturer, laboratory PI:All strong LORs.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
Baccalaureate GPA: 2.93
Graduate GPA: 3.00
Post-Bacc: 3.77 (26 credits repeating Gen Chem, Ochem and Physics with lab courses)

During my post-bacc, I took about 6 credits per semester as I work full time in a research lab. I was suggested to take at least 12 credits of upper division science course per semester/quarter to show the adcom that I can handle science courses. And apply early for cycle 2021/2022. I am planning to take histology course this spring quarter and apply again June. Then maybe will attempt to take at least 2-3 courses per quarter term per suggestion while working full time in Fall. I would appreciate any feedback.

School list:

Touro
Roseman
NYU
USC
BU
ASDOH
Tufts
UOP
******* Please Do Not Quote This Post ********
ECs are excellent. Lots of research hours and publications to show for it. Ample shadowing hours (although 1000+ hours is overkill. Try splitting it up with dental experience.) Also highlighting any service to vulnerable/disadvantaged populations is great if applicable.

applying early is highly recommended so I’m glad you are aware of this and aiming to do so. Id also suggest applying to minimum 10-12 schools to increase your chances (if financially doable).

the issue is the gpa and to a lesser extent the DAT (due to low grades). 26 units and a 3.7 isn’t enough to show substantive proof you can handle graduate level science curriculum. This will be the primary concern for many Adcoms. Explaining any hardships you experienced or any changes you have made to your study habits will be critical. If a school has a section for this, take advantage and provide evidence that you are more than capable of excelling in dental school and have adopted healthy habits.

one way to somewhat offset the low GPA is by improving the DAT score. Without that you will face an uphill battle with a 10%ile (?) GPA and a ~65%ile DAT.

I’d recommend going through ADEA explorer and look at the low sGPA and cGPA in conjunction with average DAT for each schools entering class. Mind you the low GPAs are students in the 5th percentile so ideally you will pick schools where your GPA exceeds those. If you cannot meet the low GPA I wouldn’t bother applying to that school. Then for the schools you do find that meet this criteria, evaluate their DAT range. With a low GPA you want to at least meet the mean score. If your DAT is equal or less than the bottom 5%ile DAT, probably not worth applying either.

No guarantee you get in but this will help optimize your school list so you don’t waste money applying to reach schools.

And also make sure your PS and supplementals are all perfect. You have very little room for forgiveness

Reactions: 1 user
Quite poor imo, mostly because your sGPA/BCP GPA is below 3.0, your oGPA is barely above 3.0, and your graduate GPA is a solid 3.0. Neither of these paint you as a strong student and your post-bacc doesn't mean too much since it's so few units, it was part-time, and you simply repeated classes (so material you had learned previously). In this past cycle, besides your GPAs and average DAT, applying so late hurt you and you are an international student, which makes it even harder to get in.

Personally, I would cut back on research and do school full-time and maybe consider doing an SMP where you maintain a near 4.0, to show you can really survive dental school and do well. Your app mostly shows that you are a great researcher, and that's great for PhD programs, but dental schools do care about stats as well... I would also apply in June, as you said you would, but I'd definitely say your focus should be on raising your GPAs.

Reactions: 1 user