School or relationship or long distance... advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredpt4552

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there's already been a couple posts about long distance relationships but I really feel like I need some advice. My boyfriend has a really great job lined up in Denver but I just got accepted to a school 10 hours away. We had been talking about marriage within the near future so I've considered declining the offer and trying to apply to Colorado schools next cycle. However I feel so lucky to have gotten accepted this round and I'm scared I won't get accepted again. Plus my stats aren't super strong (overall 3.5 & pre-req 3.4) and Colorado schools seem very competitive. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer. Is 10 hours long distance even going to be possible during pt school? Is it reasonable to try applying to Colorado schools or should I just suck it up and take the offer I got?
 
Take the offer you got! If the relationship is meant to be, it'll be MUCH easier for him to move to you than for you to move to him. If he's not willing to do that, that'll also tell you something you need to (though may not want to) hear...
 
There are couples in my class with significant others 16+ hours away and we also have married students who don't live with their partner. There is even one girl in our class whose military husband is stationed Hawaii, while we are in Texas. It's definitely possible to maintain your relationship. Neither of you should turn down the great opportunities that are in front of you, especially you. Colorado schools are extremely competitive. There is absolutely no guarantee that you would get a spot at any of them and if you were to try to reapply to the school you were accepted to, they might not take you back. You've worked extremely hard over the last 4 years to put yourself in a position where you don't have to worry about reapplying. Don't throw it all away.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, congratulations on your acceptance!

Accept the offer. Although y'all are headed towards marriage, do not throw away this chance to get your DPT just so you can stay near a boyfriend. The decision to delay your career goals is a "benefit" of marriage, not for boyfriend/girlfriend.

Facetime and take flights for a few years. Getting this DPT will allow the both of you to live comfortably, in the same place, in just a few short years.
 
Definitely go to school, you don't want to throw this chance away. As for your relationship, lucky for you we live in the 21st century where maintaining a LDR has never been easier! Skype and a plane ticket several times a year will go a long way.
 
I'm in the same boat except I'll be away from my boyfriend by about 20 hours. It'll suck. It'll be hard. But this degree is what I want and I worked hard to get into the school I did. There are going to be days that we probably won't talk. He is aware of that. But I am obviously going to put effort into the relationship still - FaceTime, phone calls when not busy or a quick flight for the weekend. If it's meant to be it is. Good luck!
 
This past fall as I was applying to schools, my ex and I broke up & when that happened, I applied to every far away school I could think of out of spite. Then I recently got into a new long-distance relationship. I've been fortunate that both of my acceptances have come from schools an hour from home & I plan to commute, however before we even began dating I made sure we had a conversation about the fact this was a priority & if he wasn't ok with it I understood, but it would ultimately be a deal breaker.

Ultimately, all you can do is support one another. You shouldn't have to give up your dreams to accommodate someone else (at least without some kind of solid commitment). My ex was adamant about me staying local because he was too anxious to start over somewhere else, which I told him if you expect that I expect an engagement otherwise I was going to just do what was best for me. Now, without the pressure, I knew it was important to me to find a school/life balance & not moving away was what would be best for me.
 
It will be difficult, but if you guys are considering marriage, then shifting to an LDR should not change your feelings about each other. My boyfriend is currently working 2100 miles away from where I am attending school, and not going to lie, it sucks sometimes. But if you guys both set aside the time to make it work - it will.

Just keep telling yourself that each of you are bettering your situation for your future as a couple. It is more worth it to go through this difficult time now than potentially give up this awesome opportunity for both your futures. Congrats and best of luck!! 🙂
 
Definitely go to school, PT schools are only going to get more competitive to get into. That being said, I think you and your SO knows the situation much better than us (a bunch of randoms on a forum) whether it is going to work or not. Speaking from experience there are so many variables in a LDR (distance, steep decline in your sex life, stress from job/school) that is going to cause more fights than usual. I'm not going to sit here and type out all the success stories I know of couples who do get married after years of LDR, because I know just as many that do not survive the distance.

TLDR: Go to school. Both of you should know better than us if it's going to work or not.