School Orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfitzpat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to commission for Navy HPSP and have a question about school orders. My wife is potentially going to have a baby next summer (when I should be at OIS) and I'd really like to be here. My school doesn't have classes the first summer, so I should go to OIS, but I was wondering how difficult it is to delay until after I graduate (all the other summers have clinic). It isn't a deal breaker for me, but I just wanted to feel out if it possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting ready to commission for Navy HPSP and have a question about school orders. My wife is potentially going to have a baby next summer (when I should be at OIS) and I'd really like to be here. My school doesn't have classes the first summer, so I should go to OIS, but I was wondering how difficult it is to delay until after I graduate (all the other summers have clinic). It isn't a deal breaker for me, but I just wanted to feel out if it possible.
As far as I know, you are not required to attend OIS after the first year, but HIGHLY encouraged to do so. I attended OIS b/w my 1st and 2nd yr of dental school. It did make for a smooth transition from dental school straight to my first duty station. My residency started in June, whereas some guys who attended OIS after graduation didn't show up until August. I think the birth of your child is more important than attending OIS, especially when you have the option to attend later. I hope things haven't changed and that the detailer would accommodate your personal life. Also, one minor thing to note...if you attend OIS during dental school, you have to buy the ensign stuff and LT stuff later. Not a big deal, but still a bit annoying, considering the fact that you'll only be ensign in uniform for 5 weeks at OIS. Also, I remember the companies of ensigns were a lot smaller than companies of LTs who just graduated from med/dent schools.

If you have the available time, and aren't in school, I believe you have to go to OIS. You can't just take in-school orders when school is out. Does anyone know of anyone who has done in-school orders before OIS when school is not year-round? I wonder if they'll pay for the birth since you'll be on active duty.