School questions, especially the Univ of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dentschlbound

I just wrapped up all of my undergrad work this past August. I really want a break before dental school, so I plan on applying for 2004. In the meantime, I would really like to decide on my top choice for school and establish residency in that state. I guess it really only matters if it's a state school, but I would like to become familiar with the area regardless of the cheaper tuition. I realize that there is always a chance that I wouldn't get accepted to that particular school, but that's fine. Hey, it's worth a shot, and I think that I have a good chance. My stats are descent (GPA: 3.8, 2 years of honors research, & I take the DAT in December). I have been getting between 20-22/20 on most of the practice tests, so I hope that continues ;). I plan on visiting as many more schools as I can before beginning the application process, but as of right now I am the most interested in the following (in order):

-Univ of Colorado
-UOP
-Baylor
-UT
-UCSF
-U of Washington
-IU
-UNC
-mabye Harvard - I'm not sure if I would really have much of a chance, but who knows

Money is definitely a factor, but I would trade high $$$ for a great education and a kick A** 4 years. At this point, I think that I would like to specialize. I'm the most interested in OMFS, but I figure if I keep my grades up and do well on the boards, that decision can wait. How much should wanting to specialize really affect my decision making?

If anyone has any personal opinions (major pros, cons, experiences, etc.) on any of the schools that I mentioned, I would love to hear them.

I'm strongly leaning towards colorado, but it's been difficult to find out much (probably due to the small class size). I have visited the school, but it was over a holiday weekend so I didn't really get to see much. I REALLY like the area and it's my understanding that it really is a good school with good professors and top notch facilities. If memory serves, their board scores are well above the national average (93% vs. 86% pass the first time, in 1998 I think). A lady in the office of admissions suggested that I contact the student senate and begin corresponding with one of the students, but I haven't heard back yet. I think that I will be able to make it out there soon, hopefully while airfare is cheap. Okay, I have rambled on long enough. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Dentschlbound
Class of 2008

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to and interviewed at CU last year. You have very good stats but it is very difficult to get in unless you have residency. I think the class size is around 38 and 26-7 spots are reserved for in-staters. I'd establish residency first and then apply if you really want to go there. I don't think they'd look down on you taking some time off. As an in-state applicant you have a very decent shot at getting in.

the following is opinion and hearsay:

Positives about CU
-small class size, lot of personal attention
-solid school, great reputation, and they produce very competent dentists...I've met around 5 or 6 CU grads and they are very good at what they do.
-very inexpensive school, fairly inexpensive city.
-skiing, outdoor activities, mountains...but you might have to wait until 3rd year for that.

Negatives:
-small class size and your classmates will be in your business. (the faculty warned me about this during my interview) I've heard it is also fiercly competitive so it can be a suffocating environment with 30 people trying to top each other. Trust me, you want a little bit of anonymity in dental school...you see the same people 8 hours a day for 4 years...I need to get away once in a while....but that depends on your personality.
-as in a lot of dental schools, there will be favoritism. It can be more intense when the faculty fawns over the 3 or 4 that they like and everyone else knows it. That could potentially be frustrating and discouraging. Only 1 or 2 per year go into OMFS...and rumors fly that those with connections and bad grades can get an acceptance over good grades+no connections. <--just what I heard...can't confirm it.
-school is basically in the basement of the medical school. It's small but as a positive it has very nice equipment and new facilities.
-You will not see the sun a lot during the cold Colorado winters which can get very depressing.
- I'm not sure if the patient pool is all that great. Denver really doesn't have a huge underserved population near the school like here in the Northeast. There's ways around that I'm sure...I haven't heard of any complaints from students personally.

All schools will have some amount of crap you'll have to put up with. Most of the negatives are really minor IMO.....I just found a school that suited me and am very happy here despite the small frustrations.
Baylor and UNC I've heard great things about. I don't know about the other schools. I don't know if I would have gone to Colorado (interviewed there, but wasn't accepted....but I'm not bitter about it ;) )I just got the warm fuzzy feeling at the school where I am now.....it's all about what you want, how much you can afford and what is important to you. With your grades you can afford to pick and choose.
good luck.

Thanks for the helpful reply nycdoc. If anyone else has any good info, I would really like to hear it.

Dentalschlbound
class of 2008