Questions about the letter of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnxiousMia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 12 schools this cycle and got 2 interviews pre-December 15th. I am currently waitlisted at 1 school and was told that no decision was reached on the other (the interview was in December). I want to send a letter of interest to a couple of schools on my list as I've heard it can potentially increase my chance of receiving an interview especially since 9/12 schools have said nothing so far (received 1 rejection without an interview).
Now to the questions:
1. What am I supposed to say in a letter of interest?
2. Can I send it next week (after New Year's) or should I wait till mid-January when students drop acceptances?
3. Are there any schools that refuse letters of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 12 schools this cycle and got 2 interviews pre-December 15th. I am currently waitlisted at 1 school and was told that no decision was reached on the other (the interview was in December). I want to send a letter of interest to a couple of schools on my list as I've heard it can potentially increase my chance of receiving an interview especially since 9/12 schools have said nothing so far (received 1 rejection without an interview).
Now to the questions:
1. What am I supposed to say in a letter of interest?
2. Can I send it next week (after New Year's) or should I wait till mid-January when students drop acceptances?
3. Are there any schools that refuse letters of interest?
Not knowing which other schools you haven't heard from, I agree timing works to send it next week.

What to say. In my opinion, you need to "hand write" your letters (i.e., don't group/bulk mail). Why are you interested in interviewing and going to each dental school you want to hear from? How do you fit their mission? What clinical opportunities are you most interested in? Do you have an update with semester grades?

Approach as.a TMAY. Start with a brief introduction with your AADSAS/DENTPIN. Briefly provide the highlights of your journey and mission fit with the school. Declare the intention of your communication (though not so bluntly like "can you invite me to interview?"). Thank them and be excited to hear back. Again, customize each letter, and send them to each school separately.

Check your notes about each program. Focus on connecting with the ones on your list that you have the best fit with or chance for an interview. Keep the email to about a half page or shorter. Don't send them output from a bot.

Yes, be selective. Among dental schools, few will say that they will not accept LOIs. Rarely do people get invited because they sent an LOI (correlation is not causation), but you might as well try since you don't have an offer yet.

You can let us know if you receive an R soon after you send them your LOI.

Reactions: 1 user
Not knowing which other schools you haven't heard from, I agree timing works to send it next week.

What to say. In my opinion, you need to "hand write" your letters (i.e., don't group/bulk mail). Why are you interested in interviewing and going to each dental school you want to hear from? How do you fit their mission? What clinical opportunities are you most interested in? Do you have an update with semester grades?

Approach as.a TMAY. Start with a brief introduction with your AADSAS/DENTPIN. Briefly provide the highlights of your journey and mission fit with the school. Declare the intention of your communication (though not so bluntly like "can you invite me to interview?"). Thank them and be excited to hear back. Again, customize each letter, and send them to each school separately.

Check your notes about each program. Focus on connecting with the ones on your list that you have the best fit with or chance for an interview. Keep the email to about a half page or shorter. Don't send them output from a bot.

Yes, be selective. Among dental schools, few will say that they will not accept LOIs. Rarely do people get invited because they sent an LOI (correlation is not causation), but you might as well try since you don't have an offer yet.

You can let us know if you receive an R soon after you send them your LOI.
Thank you!
I figured it can’t hurt so might as well try. I’m definitely choosing a couple schools to email not every single one on my list.
I’m taking a gap year at the moment so should I talk about my work experience? I’m a dental assistant and a tutor. It’s already mentioned in my app but should I talk about it some more?
I’ll have them ready to go next week and will update this thread about how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
I figured it can’t hurt so might as well try. I’m definitely choosing a couple schools to email not every single one on my list.
I’m taking a gap year at the moment so should I talk about my work experience? I’m a dental assistant and a tutor. It’s already mentioned in my app but should I talk about it some more?
I’ll have them ready to go next week and will update this thread about how it goes.
How much work/ hours have your added since submitting?