school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cromagnon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have input on which are the better osteo schools? a ranking would be nice..or just your personal reasons for applying to wherever you applied to....

Members don't see this ad.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum in this and the osteopathic thread... either do a search or just go back several pages in the forums and you'll see.

Q, DO

Everyone will give you different "top schools" for different reasons.

There are no official rankings for DO schools. You will find that certain schools are better looked upon due to geographical location. For example: in NYC, NYCOM is the best DO school. Philly obviously sees PCOM as the top school. In the north...MSUCOM has that title.

But if you talk to enough people in the medical world (and I don't mean medical students who promote their own school) you will find there are certain DO schools which bring an added sense of credibility, mostly because they are better known institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the west, COMP has the title. :clap:

I prefer Pikeville because the class is small (75) and they put an emphasis on OMT which is what distinguishes the DO. Pikeville is also a pretty small community which the school has integrated with, so you have many early chances to get your hands on patients, doing things that most students don't do until residency. If you are really serious about the total package; medicine and osteopathic manipulation then research this school. You don't hear much about it cause it is small, and it is hard to gain acceptance if you are not from the appalachia region, but i am giving you a heads up in advance. I am moving all the way from Connecticut to go there. By the way the osteopathic principles teacher there is Dr. Edward Stiles, run a search for his name, he is one of the best 4 DO's in the country and the only one affiliated with a DO school.

From my research, each school has something great to offer the student. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the DO schools. I personally prefer PCSOM for several reasons. I was accepted to WVSOM, my state's school, and PCSOM. I just liked the atmosphere in Pikeville, the students are great, the faculty were very helpful, and the students were very sincere and helpful.

I think area is very important in chosing a medical school. If you dont like the "big city", then you would probably not like NYCOM or PCOM. On the flip side, if you dont like rural Kentucky or WV, you will probably not like WVSOM or PCSOM. I would suggest applying to schools that you are interested in. You will have the chance to investigate the school during your interviews and be able to find the right school for you.

But I have to admit, PCSOM is a great school in a great little town. I also really like the facilities at WVSOM. Just my $0.02.

Aaron

Originally posted by dcratamt
... Pikeville is also a pretty small community which the school has integrated with, so you have many early chances to get your hands on patients, doing things that most students don't do until residency.

HUH? Don't do until residency? Write prescriptions? Put in chest tubes?

... By the way the osteopathic principles teacher there is Dr. Edward Stiles, run a search for his name, he is one of the best 4 DO's in the country and the only one affiliated with a DO school.

One of the 4 best DOs in the country? What is your basis of comparison? Who are the other 3? Where is THIS rank list? PCOM has some amazing OMM faculty. NYCOM does too.

JPHazelton,
I am sure that you are well aware that there is no "official" listing of the top 4 D.O.'s in the country; this is not the NCAA tournament. However, after training in the field of OMT long enough you begin to get a feel for the elite group of very experienced and successful DO's practicing manual medicine. This select group of physicians are set apart from the rest of the field due to the quality of the knowledge passed to them from their teachers. For instance Dr. Stiles trained with George Laughlin DO, and took over the practice of Perrin T. Wilson DO, internationally known figures in the field of OMT. Dr. Stiles went on to establish the first hospital based OMT service in Waterville Maine and has won numerous awards as well as publishing numerous articles. His ideas, theories and techniques can be found in many of the text books you are studying in school, for instance Greenman's textbook, Manual Medicine.

Another very successful DO is Stephen Davidson of Phoenix AZ. Again, he stands out in large part due to the quality of the physicians he studied with. In this case Dr. Davidson had the opportunity to study with Dr. Robert Fulford, an individual with whom any undergraduate OMT fellow should be familiar with.

I am not saying that there are not other quality OMT instructors, but honestly, I have not seen a more qualified instructor than Dr. Stiles affiliated with a medical school. Most people of his caliber reside in the world of private practice. This is what gives PCSOM an edge in the OMT realm and that is why I believe PCSOM is a unique school and worth looking into. PCSOM is clearly devoted to manual medicine and allows the student the clinical settings to practice and hone their skills. I hope that this discussion helps the individual who posted this thread to make a well informed decision and expands the knowledge of those who read this post in regards to OMT.

In case you wanted the names of the other two of the four top DO's in OMT; I would say Dr. James Jealous and Dr. Joe Fields; both in private practice, but teaching courses in the U.S. I am sure there are another 3 or 4 individuals who could be put in this elite group.

I am not disputing the credentials or im pact of Dr. Stiles. I would just like to point out that ones opinion of the "best of the best" is often skewed by who they come in contact with.

And I can add quite a few names to the list:

Crow
Kuchera
Feely
Frymann
Blood
Magoun
Sanet
Bernhardi
Capobianco (take your pick)

JPHazelton,
Thanks for the info and list of names. Can you let me know what schools these folks teach at?

Originally posted by dcratamt
JPHazelton,
Thanks for the info and list of names. Can you let me know what schools these folks teach at?

Crow and Kuchera: PCOM
Feely: CCOM
Capobianco: NYCOM
Frymann: COMP