School Supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmmom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting as a P1 at Ferris State this year. I will have a rather lengthy commute (45 min each way). I was thinking of utilizing this time by re-listening to lectures. Anyone else do this? Have any suggestions for good recording equipment? What classes did you find this helpful for?
Thanks1

Members don't see this ad.

Caverject said:
yes, I use my iPod and play it thru my radio

What recorder attachment do you have for the iPod? And how close to the professors do you have to sit to get a clear recording?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh man.. i think i'd fall asleep at the wheel if i started listening to lectures in my car!! :laugh:

I'd stick with my "books on tape" - I need ENTERTAINMENT to relieve the stress of rush hour traffic :D

I taped most lectures and listened to them if I was unclear about something or needed to memorize something really well. It really helped listening to the lectures again in addition to reading the text because usually the first time I hear a lecture I pretty much have no idea of what's going on. I also have about a 45 min commute, but I use that time as my alone time. I could probably never pop in a lecture on the way home after I've already sat through 8 hrs of lectures the whole day. Once I was behind in microbiology so on the day of the exam I burned a cd of a lecture and listened to it on the way to school. It was really hard for me to concentrate, although it did help me a lot on the exam.

Oh, as for my recorder.. it's a Panasonic digital recorder with a USB port so I can transfer it to my computer. It has a program so that you can slow down or speed up the playback speed. Very useful for professors that speak really slowly. Sometimes I could go through a 50 min lecture in 30 min and it's like the professor is speaking normally. :laugh: It can hold up to 8 hrs of lecture on low quality, but I always set it on high quality so it's about 3 hrs.

My commute is about 1.25 hours. This is my time to relax. I crank up the stereo and enjoy the drive. I do better on exams if I'm relaxed, and then I spend about 1/2 hour on a quick review before going into class.

1.25 hours? o_O

That's crazy.

Move closer! =)

nikkai said:
1.25 hours? o_O

That's crazy.

Move closer! =)

And live in congestion? No thanks. I'd rather drive and come home to a quiet community where my neighbors include deer, raccoons and sandhill cranes.

I use an MP3 player to record lectures; it's saved in mp3. I can listen to it on my labtop while reading powerpoint presentation my profesors provide on the web after the lecture. But- this made me slack off during the real lecture time, so I don't really do that. I just read text before going to class and that seems enough.

parker0fj.jpg

Who needs school supply.. I went through 4 years of RX school with one pen.

Parker Jotter. I still have it. Sure there were substitutes here and there..and frequent #2 pencils for multiple choice exams..

Nothing beats a good Parker.. :smuggrin:

ilovepharmacy said:
What recorder attachment do you have for the iPod? And how close to the professors do you have to sit to get a clear recording?

yeah, what kind of attachment?

My high school pen supply

bic1gi.jpg

Recording lectures? Geez, you folks really get into it, eh? I've always just found staring at the notes they pass out in class good enough for me to acquire an in depth understanding of the material.

ilovepharmacy said:

I use my IPOD, too. The Griffin attachment works pretty good for me. I have to put it down by the teacher, though.

ZpackSux said:
parker0fj.jpg

Who needs school supply.. I went through 4 years of RX school with one pen.

:

If I had that pen I would probably lose it in one week.

I love that douglas adams ancedote about the planet with all the lost ball point pens in the unvierse on it.

But I believe in the pen as the only necessary note taking tool ....unless I had a motor mouth professor with whom my hand could not keep up with (never had one I couldn't keep pace with yet)

aubieRx said:

I love that douglas adams ancedote about the planet with all the lost ball point pens in the unvierse on it.

But I believe in the pen as the only necessary note taking tool ....unless I had a motor mouth professor with whom my hand could not keep up with (never had one I couldn't keep pace with yet)

If you had that pen.. you won't lose it. Get one and see. :smuggrin:

aubieRx said:

I can't belive how many pens we go through at work. I think that if I want over to this specific tech's house and opened the doors, ink pens from work would spill out of every corner.