School tracking applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you all think that schools track the number of times that students contact them or email them or check their status pages? And does this play a part in getting an interview? After submission of the secondary, is there anything that can be done to increase ones chances of an interview...besides winning the nobel prize? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you all think that schools track the number of times that students contact them or email them or check their status pages? And does this play a part in getting an interview? After submission of the secondary, is there anything that can be done to increase ones chances of an interview...besides winning the nobel prize? Thanks.

I certainly know of schools that put a note in the file every time you correspond or call. No idea whether it affects you. I would doubt anyone cares how many times you check the status page, although it's technologically feasible for them to know. It's best to only update if you have something to actually update, or to send a LOI (but not until post interview) etc. Calling daily/weekly etc will make you come off as a bit of a pain and likely won't help you get n interview.

I certainly know of schools that put a note in the file every time you correspond or call. No idea whether it affects you. I would doubt anyone cares how many times you check the status page, although it's technologically feasible for them to know. It's best to only update if you have something to actually update, or to send a LOI (but not until post interview) etc. Calling daily/weekly etc will make you come off as a bit of a pain and likely won't help you get n interview.

Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but what exactly is the point of sending a Letter of Intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if it's been answered elsewhere, but what exactly is the point of sending a Letter of Intent?

Once you have been interviewed (and usually once you are on a waitlist) if you tell a school you really want to go there and will withdraw all other applications if they accept you, sometimes they consider your words and take you. Most schools only want applicants that really want to be there.

Most schools probably do not keep track of who calls and how many times calls are made and the degree of annoyingness and/or pointlessness of each call. But, pretty much every school will take notice of especially annoying applicants when they merit notice, and yes, it can hurt you. To say the least, try not to make a habit of it.

Most schools probably do not keep track of who calls and how many times calls are made

I've seen admissions secretaries make notes in peoples files regarding calls -- they keep pretty good track of that kind of stuff at some places. No idea if "most" schools do this, but wouldn't assume the negative. Assuming the positive cannot burn you.