School urging me to hide the problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HopelessGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had anxiety my entire life, but it started to affect me seriously in college. In high school, I would have anxiety all day and manage to do little work at home. Most of it got pushed to the last minute (homeroom, class before, etc). That is clearly not a recipe for success in college. I have been struggling with keeping up with work and am currently at a C- in one class and D in another. This is the worst I've ever been at. It makes me feel like **** and I recently started to get help for my anxiety. The worst part is, everyone is suggesting I transfer to an easier school (yes, no guarantee it will be easier). This would be fine, if I planned to never go to graduate school or have a demanding career. But I do, so wouldn't taking the easy way out be a bad move? Also, counseling has not been helping so I'm lost.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the feeling. I have a severe anxiety disorder, too. Why don't you get a psychiatrist and take only 2 classes next semester? That's what I did and I finally got the right med combination and am doing great. Also, what if you transferred close to home and became a commuter student so you have your family close to support you and make you feel safe?

Reactions: 1 user
Besides counseling, there are medical approaches to this problem as well. Explore all options with your healthcare provider to get your situation under control before returning to school next fall. If this is indeed the cause of your academic issues, you won't need to transfer to an "easier" school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't moving to a new school add new anxiety? Also, talk to a doctor (in real life).

Find a different counselor, and talk to your doctor. Axiety disorders are poorly managed on anonymous internet message boards.

I have had anxiety my entire life, but it started to affect me seriously in college. In high school, I would have anxiety all day and manage to do little work at home. Most of it got pushed to the last minute (homeroom, class before, etc). That is clearly not a recipe for success in college. I have been struggling with keeping up with work and am currently at a C- in one class and D in another. This is the worst I've ever been at. It makes me feel like **** and I recently started to get help for my anxiety. The worst part is, everyone is suggesting I transfer to an easier school (yes, no guarantee it will be easier). This would be fine, if I planned to never go to graduate school or have a demanding career. But I do, so wouldn't taking the easy way out be a bad move? Also, counseling has not been helping so I'm lost.

Reactions: 5 users
Goro said it right, you should get some professional help; however, just wanted to give my two cents for what's its worth. I also had very bad anxiety that was in high school and continued through my sophomore year of college. It especially was really bad in organic chem, and I could tell that the anxiety was screwing up and affected my outside relationships with my friends and family. I finally reached a breaking point where my anxiety was really bad, and as hard as it was to go through it, I'm glad I did today. When I started receiving help, I was gently guided into meditation as a way to cope with stress. I was wary at first since I thought it wouldn't do much and just merely "numb my anxiety" in stead of getting rid of it. I still went through with an 8 week meditation program (Danny Penman wrote the program, you can get it on amazon), and it surprisingly worked out tremendously well. I know it is cliche to say, but I really believe it has changed my life and how I deal with stress. Not saying it is a cure all, but anxiety is something that can be dealt with, coped with, and transformed into a positive, healthy energy. That being said maintaining any sort of meditative practice or health practice in general takes a lot of effort and patience, but it is worth it. If you have any more questions you can PM and I can give you more information about the program.
Best of luck,
Doc4lax

Deal with it now. Or they'll make you deal with it in medical school.

I speak from experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, I know I need to get help. I'm just worried I won't find a solution soon. I can't drop my classes, although I could with approval from the school counselor, and I can't afford to test psychiatrist's medications (I have insurance, accepted only by few people).

Some suitable medications cost $4 for a month's worth at Walmart and Target.
Yes, my insurance makes medications very cheap (1-5$ at CVS or some change at the hospital's pharmacy), but visits are 100$, yikes. I think it's worth it though, so I'll see someone soon.

Closing thread. SDN is not for medical advice or counseling, and giving medical advice is not permitted. Please contact your personal healthcare provider or seek professional counseling services.

Status
Not open for further replies.