School/work/home life rotation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riser4321

Reaction score
Hello. I’m looking to see anyone’s personal experience with having to work full time and go to school and have a family home life.
I’m wanting to go to school and am going to in the near future. But I’m 22 working full time in a factory, have kids and a wife, and I’m the only income into the house right now.
I want to know how you have personally dealt with doing all this, I know it’s going to be a long hard journey.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I’m looking to see anyone’s personal experience with having to work full time and go to school and have a family home life.
I’m wanting to go to school and am going to in the near future. But I’m 22 working full time in a factory, have kids and a wife, and I’m the only income into the house right now.
I want to know how you have personally dealt with doing all this, I know it’s going to be a long hard journey.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I did this in graduate school. I'm doing the same thing now, minus being the only worker in the home. Maxed out! What has helped me is making friends with classmates who grew to have my back if I had to miss class or if I was struggling with a topic. Also, I have had great relationships with many of my professors.

One plus of being the only worker is that your partner takes care of childcare. This is helpful when you have to pull long hours working, going to class or studying.

I highly recommend finding hybrid courses. On breaks, plan something fun with your family. Parks, movie/game night, art projects etc. No need to spend lots of money. Fun experiences with your family can make a big difference and help center you in the midst of the madness.

It may also serve you better to go to sleep early and then wake up early to study.

Eat well. Sleep well. Move well.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I haven't done medical school but I've worked 50+ hours a week, commuted, had kids and got a masters' degree at the same time. It takes organization.

Whether or not your spouse works outside the home she will have to be on board with the grind because she will have to pick up some slack. You may not have time to fix the stove if it breaks and you may not be able to attend all the kids' soccer games because you'll be working and studying so much. Simplifying life is the best idea. Don't have her (or you) cook elaborate meals, don't worry if the house is messy and just focus on finishing the next class.

Actually being in the first two years of med school might be easier because you won't be studying AND working.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good forum to read through:)

Yes, many of us on this non-traditional forum work full time, go to school full time, have kids, spouses etc. All of us will tell you that you need to be well organized and have a clear plan. And, your significant other needs to be on board. Be patient with each other, plan it together, view it as the goal that "we" have.

Not many folks work full time during medical school though...and I can't speak to that side. I'm sure it's been done, but I'm guessing it's much more rare than with the rest of schooling.

Good luck :)

You will absolutely fail if your spouse is not “in” with you.
You are going to be tired and strained, you are going to miss some of your household chores etc. you are going to have less atention for her. My wife has been my greatest supporter and at times we are both tired and grouchy but always strong at the end of the day.

I highly recommend finding hybrid courses. On breaks, plan something fun with your family. Parks, movie/game night, art projects etc. No need to spend lots of money. Fun experiences with your family can make a big difference and help center you in the midst of the madness.

It may also serve you better to go to sleep early and then wake up early to study.

Eat well. Sleep well. Move well.

I second all of this. All of the above have helped me get through undergrad