Schools accepting MCAT scores in low 20's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zizebrazi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any allopathic medical schools that accept an MCAT score in the low 20's by any chance? perhaps like 22-23 range? Any success stories?

Members don't see this ad.

sexyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With a 22-23 it is still very hard to get into a DO school

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The historically black med schools are the only US MD schools I have heard anyone with that kind of score get in. I know someone that got into one of my state schools with a 25 (she had connections).

That is low for DO schools even.

My suggestion is to retake and at least get a 25 or go to the Caribbean.

However, that score may even keep you out of the best schools down there like SGU, Ross, AUC. But, there are several schools that do not require the MCAT at all down there.

Much harder road but if you want it bad enough, do what you have to do.

I rather take the MCAT again. Chances are, you would at least come up!

Members don't see this ad :)

BrokenGlass

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The historically black med schools are the only US MD schools I have heard anyone with that kind of score get in. I know someone that got into one of my state schools with a 25 (she had connections).

However, that score may even keep you out of the best schools down there like SGU, Ross, AUC. But, there are several schools that do not require the MCAT at all down there.

Are you kidding me? Caribbean schools have ranikings? Being the best Caribbean med schools is like being the valedictorian of summer school.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Caribbean schools have ranikings? Being the best Caribbean med schools is like being the valedictorian of summer school.

True. But, everyone can not get into a US MD school.

I do not think there are official rankings as in much if you do graduate from these schools and pass the boards you can at least practice medicine in all states. Therefore, I would categorize these as the best.

Personally, I rather get a MD from the Caribbean instead of explaining what the hell a DO is to patients all the time. I know many in healthcare here do not know. The patients always ask to see a real doctor. Rarely, do patients ask where did you get your MD degree from but they surely want to know what the hell is a DO and when is the doctor getting here. Just my experience down here in the South!!!

I do not want to start a bashing. It is just what I have seen where I am from. A degree is only worth the person that holds it.

ballzout2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

honestly, you dont' know what you're talking about. a 24 is probably the lowest but HBC and instate institutions have been known to make heafty excpetions... Especially for URM / disadvantaged.

Furthermore, there are backdoor programs and various other alternatives that I would encourage anyone finding more about. However, I kinda agree with the take it again thing. Why chance a score like that. I am in the same boat and am going to do this sucka right this time.

Oh and furthermore... look at the MSAR book you can see ranges that are VERY low for many schools... 3, 4, 5, in VR PS and all.

majik1213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
True. But, everyone can not get into a US MD school.

I do not think there are official rankings as in much if you do graduate from these schools and pass the boards you can at least practice medicine in all states. Therefore, I would categorize these as the best.

Personally, I rather get a MD from the Caribbean instead of explaining what the hell a DO is to patients all the time. I know many in healthcare here do not know. The patients always ask to see a real doctor. Rarely, do patients ask where did you get your MD degree from but they surely want to know what the hell is a DO and when is the doctor getting here. Just my experience down here in the South!!!

I do not want to start a bashing. It is just what I have seen where I am from. A degree is only worth the person that holds it.

Agreed. Just what is a DO anyways? As a passerby, I'd say DO is the crackerjack box version of an MD (i.e. the little prize you get from a larger investment). DO? Why even make this program? Is it because we have too many MDs? Why not convert all DO schools into MD schools? What is the advantage of choosing a DO path over an MD path (is it easier? More importantly, does it empower you in ways that the MD program cannot?)

ballzout2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Just what is a DO anyways? As a passerby, I'd say DO is the crackerjack box version of an MD (i.e. the little prize you get from a larger investment). DO? Why even make this program? Is it because we have too many MDs? Why not convert all DO schools into MD schools? What is the advantage of choosing a DO path over an MD path (is it easier? More importantly, does it empower you in ways that the MD program cannot?)

Actually you seem to be very ignorant on the whole issue. A D.O. is exactly the same thing as a doctor. I am going cut through the non-sense blah blah the DO will like to employ as la cosa nostra but truly it is the same as being an M.D.

I agree with the above poster saying that one might have to always explain the difference but if you are a D.O. that gets a specialty then most likely one would say, they are a "cardiologist, or a Neurologist, etc." <<<See, at this point it REALLY doesn't matter.

Fact is D.O.'s take more nonspecialty's and heml the primary care spots. The, U.S. is in shortage of doctors make no mistake about it. I don't want to get off on some foreigner thread but the fact is if you find a lot of non U.S. citizen doctors in your hospital you tell me if we need a program that prepares more doctors in the U.S.? The answer to that question is obviously yes.

Do D.O.'s get specialties? Yes! Is it probably harder I don't really know but from what I have been told Yes!. But one's personality and board scores are going to determine more of that than anything so once we all get in... let the games being again. LOL

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
honestly, you dont' know what you're talking about. a 24 is probably the lowest but HBC and instate institutions have been known to make heafty excpetions... Especially for URM / disadvantaged.

Furthermore, there are backdoor programs and various other alternatives that I would encourage anyone finding more about. However, I kinda agree with the take it again thing. Why chance a score like that. I am in the same boat and am going to do this sucka right this time.

Oh and furthermore... look at the MSAR book you can see ranges that are VERY low for many schools... 3, 4, 5, in VR PS and all.

If I do not know what I am talking about, then why did you agree that a 24 is probably the lowest you can make on the MCAT and get into a HBC or in-state school. I simply described what I know and have heard. A 22-23 is not going to cut it in most cases.

Furthermore, my statements are in general. Of course, there has been someone that has gotten accepted with a 22 somewhere, but it is not the norm. Also, when your scores are that low, there is no section to make up for another so it does not matter about how low the ranges are.

The best advice for the OP is to take the MCAT again and shoot for a 25-27 or higher. If they can not get there, then they need to try alternate routes (DO, FMG MD, or a new career path).

It is true I do not know much about the backdoor way to becoming a MD except for the Caribbean because I plan on using the frontdoor. Nor have I researched the MSAR looking for schools.

Lastly, these heafty exceptions you talk about, do you have any stats to support your claim since you are so knowing? I doubt there are any except for isolated cases over the years.

The best advice you can give to the OP is to retake.

I might not know it all. I will give you that because I do not plan on applying everywhere. But, I do know what I said. Try to apply with a 22-23 MCAT without something really great along with it and get accepted. Possible but highly unlikely.

So why are taking the MCAT again if you got a score near the OP. You can get in according to yourself.

Oh, right! I do not know what I am talking about.:confused:

Gluck with the retake!:luck:

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know a few people with 24-25 that did an SMP and got into a US allo school.

you really need connections or have to make connections...with an mcat score in that range, it's who you know that will probably get you in.