Schools and changing residency: the list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

arkenstone

Some state schools will offer their students in-state tuition status after one year of dental school. That's a big deal. I tried to gather as much information on this subject and present it in this thread.

I started this thread in 2015 and have been updating it a little since then, but I wouldn't expect this information to remain reliable for more than a few application cycles. Please contribute if you have any experiences about residency, and I might update this post.

Alabama
UAB does not offer residency after one year of school (source below)

California
UCSF offers residency after one year of school (source below)
UCLA offers residency after one year of school (link to post)

Colorado
University of Colorado: does not offer residency after one year of school (my own reading into the state policies). It's also more difficult here than in most states to gain residency prior to classes starting by living in the state 12 months (based on my own correspondence with the university). I've been told that this is all arises from fiscal challenges facing their university system (anecdotal). FYI, there are two levels to the non-resident tuition on the Colorado website... a rep told me that the lower "accountable" rate is the actual rate for OOS, while the higher non-resident rate is only included for convoluted accounting reasons

Connecticut
UCONN: offers out-of-state students residency after one year of school, supposedly guaranteed (source below)

Florida
UF does allow a possible change of residency after one year of school (source below) (admissions rep: "For many students, even if they do not qualify for in-state tuition the first year, our dental students are highly successful in changing residency after the first year, if they closely follow all suggestions on the UF website.")

Georgia
GRU does not offer residency after one year of school (source below)

Illinois
UIC: does not offer residency (according to this thread)

Southern Illinois: the incoming class of 2013 had 49 IS students and 1 OOS student (ADEA guide). I'm not sure whether they give OOS students IS tuition.

Indiana
Indiana University: does not offer residency (according to this thread)

Iowa
University of Iowa: does not offer residency (according to this thread)

Kentucky
University of Kentucky: does not offer residency unless you get married to a Kentucky residency (source below)

Louisville: does not offer residency after a year of school (emailed admissions)

Louisiana
LSU: they don't appear to accept OOS students unless they have some strong connection to New Orleans (my anecdotal memory).

Maryland
University of Maryland: according to this thread and this thread Maryland does offer residency, but you have to go out of your way to prove that you wanted to move to Maryland anyway aside from school. Apparently some get it, some don't. Switching all your license/registrations helps. Might be easier after two years of school. Buying a house or marrying into the state are sure fire, apparently. I emailed admissions and they were vague, but they directed me to a residency FAQ which clearly indicated that the residency determination upon matriculation could change with your changing life circumstances.

Michigan
University of Michigan: does not offer residency after one year of school (anecdotal) but offers an exception to students with a working spouse in the state (anecdotal)

Detroit-Mercy: it appears that their IS and OOS tuition is the same

Minnesota
University of Minnesota: does not offer residency after one year of school (anecdotal) and does not offer an exception to students with a working spouse in the state (source below)

Mississippi
University of Mississippi does not accept out of state applicants.

Missouri
UMKC seems to only accept very specific OOS students. They have informal agreements with the states of Arkansas, Hawaii, New Mexico, and Kansas to reserve some seats for residents of those states, with a bias for Kansas (for obvious reasons). Outside of those states, they only accepted 4 students for the class incoming for 2013 (according to the ADEA guide). According to their website and this post, they don't seem to offer residency to OOS students after a year of school--you must have established residency prior to Dec 1 acceptances. It is unclear if they offer in-state tuition to students from those favored OOS states (like how UT Memphis has a limited number of funded Arkansas seats), but the language on their website--that the state agreements are 'informal'--suggests to me that their is no funding... i.e., that only Missouri students get instate tuition.

Nebraska
University of Nebraska: does not offer residency (according to this thread)

Nevada
UNLV: offers out-of-state students residency after one year of school (Well-known. See below. It's noted in the 2014-2015 ADEA Guide, but not the 2015-2016 Guide, strangely)

New Jersey
UMDNJ: supposedly they offer in-state status after one year, perhaps even the first year (according to this thread)

New York
Buffalo: offers out-of-state students residency after one year of school (source below)
Stony Brook: probably the same as Buffalo

North Carolina
UNC: seems to offer residency after one year according to a thread I read the other day. I emailed admissions, and they said it was not automatic, but you could gain residency if "you establish that NC is going to be your home while in school and once you are out of school." They seem more generous than some (e.g. CO) in handing out residency with 12 months of living/working in-state prior to classes starting.

Ohio
OSU: offers residency after one year of school, with restrictions (source below)

Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma: does not offer a change of residency (according to this thread)

Oregon
OHSU: if you apply as OOS, you stay OOS all 4 years (post below)

Pennsylvania
Temple: is a state-related, independently controlled school. (In between public and private.) They do not offer residency benefits after a year of school (this post)

Puerto Rico
For the incoming class of 2013 they accepted 38 IS students and 2 OOS students. There's some note in ADEA guide about OOS tuition being variable... that it's determined based on your state residency, but I'm not sure what that means.

South Carolina
MUSC does not allow you to become in-state after one year of school (source below)

Tennessee
UTHSC: the director of admissions says he heard that getting in-state residency after a year might be possible but he wasn't exactly sure how--that one should probably inquire with the bursar and that the main route probably included marrying a TN resident. Anecdotally, I had not heard of any OOS students getting IS tuition.

Texas
All schools offer residency after one year of school, but it's cheap anyway and good luck getting in from out of state

Virginia
VCU: It seems to be pretty difficult to get in-state after a year of school (some threads and conversations I've had, and emails with admissions). Getting residency with 12 months prior to classes starting is possible, but not a freebie. You need something convincing that you didn't just do it for school. (email with admissions)

Washington
UW: maybe after two years, supposedly difficult to obtain (according to this thread)

West Virginia
WVU: does not offer residency (according to this thread)

Wisconsin
Marquette: according to their website, you seem to have to have established residency prior to enrolling

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 19 users
At least for Minnesota it does not work. I called And asked them that same question. My spouse would move there , and we would get a house , blah blah blah. They said "no way Jose "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Alabama does not offer residency after one year of school.
Georgia does not offer residency after one year of school.

Are you sure about Louisville offer residency after one year of dental school?? I thought they do not offer residency even after one year of school. but offer exception to student with a working spouse in the state

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OSU does offer residency after one year. We were given a contact name at the interview so that we get started on setting it up if accepted. They also spoke about restrictions, like not being able to leave the state for more than a month or something the first year. I believe having a working spouse can even speed up this process. Comment overheard from current student "...yeah, his wife got a job up here not long after he was accepted. Saved him like 30 grand..."

Reactions: 1 user
UConn is guaranteed in-state after one year. Maryland allows for students to attain in-state residency after 12 months but the process is very complicated. I heard its a 50/50 chance that you may or may not get it.

Confirming that in state residency in NY is a fairly straightforward process and in state tuition after D1 is very doable at Buffalo. I'd presume the same is true for stony brook. I was also told at a UCSF interview last year that students have no trouble establishing CA residency and getting in state tuition after year one.

Thanks for chiming in, peeps.

I decided to just go ahead and email a bunch of the schools I'm interested in. They should get back to me within a few weeks I guess.

Merry Christmas

Bumping in case people have anything to contribute. I also updated some information on VCU, UNC, Maryland, and Louisville. I've pretty much explored all the schools I'm interested in, so that's probably all from me...

Bumping in case people have anything to contribute. I also updated some information on VCU, UNC, Maryland, and Louisville. I've pretty much explored all the schools I'm interested in, so that's probably all from me...
Thank you for this thread, let's keep it alive.

Medical University of South Carolina locks you in as OOS for all 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
UF offers change of residency after one year.

Thought I'd give this another bump. To me, at least, every post is super valuable. This more than anything has helped me narrow down which schools I'm considering applying to this summer.

Why does Colorado not let you become a resident after 1 year?

Why does Colorado not let you become a resident after 1 year?
A final determination can only be done when you submit your application for in-state status, but admissions listened to my scenario and advised I would probably still be considered OOS after 12 months living in CO prior to school starting. There are probably a couple factors that go into this:

There's a lot of wiggle room for the powers-that-be to decided whether it looks like you moved there mainly for school. If you have obviously completed requirements for dental school and then move to Colorado for a gap year before school, it's kind of obvious you're moving there for school. It probably looks even worse if you apply first then move. Different states seem to be OK with this to different extents.

At the end of the day, you can present your case and your arguments----if you can somehow establish that you had a choice of places to live and get into school, that you chose CO even though you had options, and that you plan to live there permanently after school... then maybe they would be more likely to give you in-state.

Additionally, though these don't apply to my situation, you must be a 'qualified person' for one year before you can even begin the one year required to establish residency. This means you must either be at least 22, married, or "emancipated" from your parents.

In any case, the impression I got is that, whatever residency status you choose when you apply, that's what it's gonna be for the duration of your stay.

A friend of mine who interviewed at CO said that the university system is hurting for money and that they love OOS students for that reason---I can't confirm any of that; it may be bunk---but it might have to do with why they seem less likely to hand out residency compared to some states.

For some states, the requirements for residency for tuition purpose is not the same as the requirement for political/voting. Claiming residency for tuition may not be changed if attending school was the primary reason for moving to the state in question.

UConn is 100% in-state tuition after 1st year.

it's me again, Margaret... any word on more western and midwestern schools?

OK... I'm finalizing my list for this cycle, so I did some more searching and I added some more to this list from some older threads here on SDN. It's all pretty patchwork, but informative still. I figured I would bump this one last time for critiques and for the spring batch of new members wondering if that B in orgo has killed their chances for admission...

Now off to make a spreadsheet of how much each school would cost me with the residency switches...

it's me again, Margaret... any word on more western and midwestern schools?

Which schools are you wondering about?

OK... I'm finalizing my list for this cycle, so I did some more searching and I added some more to this list from some older threads here on SDN. It's all pretty patchwork, but informative still. I figured I would bump this one last time for critiques and for the spring batch of new members wondering if that B in orgo has killed their chances for admission...

Now off to make a spreadsheet of how much each school would cost me with the residency switches...

Will you post your spreadsheet when you are done, please?

Which schools are you wondering about?

Looks like I've found most of them since that post... but as a matter of fact I'm still curious about LSU.

Will you post your spreadsheet when you are done, please?

Doing very rough calculations using the 2015-16 ADEA Guide... for the main schools that offer a switch.... adding one year of OOS total cost (tuition/living/fees etc.) and three years of in-state total cost... here are the costs in thousands of $...

UMDNJ: 260 (but they really lowballed the living expenses; would be safe to add $35k total)
UConn: 263
UNC: 274 (assuming $21k per year living)
Buffalo: 283
UF: 302
OSU: 305
UCLA: 310
Stony Brook: 320
UCSF: 332
Maryland: 334 (assuming switch is made after two years)
UNLV: 367

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Looks like I've found most of them since that post... but as a matter of fact I'm still curious about LSU.

Doing very rough calculations using the 2015-16 ADEA Guide... for the main schools that offer a switch.... adding one year of OOS total cost (tuition/living/fees etc.) and three years of in-state total cost... here are the costs in thousands of $...

UMDNJ: 260 (but they really lowballed the living expenses; would be safe to add $35k total)
UConn: 263
UNC: 274 (assuming $21k per year living)
Buffalo: 283
UF: 302
OSU: 305
UCLA: 310
Stony Brook: 320
UCSF: 332
Maryland: 334 (assuming switch is made after two years)
UNLV: 367

At least those numbers aren't quite as heart attack inducing and the non-resident numbers :D.

Spoke with adcoms at UNLV a few weeks ago. They do offer IS status to OOS students after one year. I guess it's still anecdotal coming from me, but if you call the school they'll tell you the same.

How can we continue without making this a sticky? It is one of the most valuable and comprehensive pieces of information available for pre-dents.

Oregon-OHSU

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...ctive-students/dmd-faq-content/dmd-faq-19.cfm

Your purpose for establishing residency in Oregon should not be primarily for educational reasons. Generally, you should reside and be employed in the state of Oregon at least one year prior to matriculation. If you are enrolled in classes in the state of Oregon, you should not be enrolled in more than eight (8) semester or quarter hours. The comprehensive document, Residence Classification Policy and Proceduresis available on the University Registrar's Office website. Any applicant in the process of establishing Oregon residency during the application cycle will not be considered an Oregon resident for the purpose of admission and/or tuition assessment until we have been able to confirm that Oregon residency requirements, according to OHSU's Residency Policy, have been satisfied.

Great thread, keep it bumping.

In the first post I decided to list the state schools I still am not familiar with. There's really not much left, and I bet there's already info on them somewhere around SDN.

I e-submitted a couple weeks ago... glad I researched this.

a little surprised by the low number of schools that actually offer residency.
seems like most public schools either don't offer residency at all, or if they do its after 2 years and there is still no guarantee.
this means that if you're out of state, going to most public schools vs private schools would make no difference at all.

Spoke with adcoms at UNLV a few weeks ago. They do offer IS status to OOS students after one year. I guess it's still anecdotal coming from me, but if you call the school they'll tell you the same.
UNLV represent!

Anybody know about UMKC??

Sent from my LG-D801 using SDN mobile

UMKC has some agreements with states such as Kansas, New Mexico, and Hawaii, which may impact tuition, but I don't believe that they allow you to change residency once matriculated. I would contact the school to make sure however.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

UMKC has some agreements with states such as Kansas, New Mexico, and Hawaii, which may impact tuition, but I don't believe that they allow you to change residency once matriculated. I would contact the school to make sure however.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for that. I looked further into it, and I think you're right. It's still unclear whether those Kansas/Hawaii/New Mexico students get IS tuition, but from the language on the their website, I would think the 'informal agreement' is mainly about accepting kids, not giving them IS tuition.

I updated the post with a bit more research... places like UMKC, Detroit Mercy, Tennessee, Puerto Rico (which is still hazy), Marquette, etc. At this point, I don't think there's any state-related school that we haven't at least mentioned, even if the answer is incomplete.

Hopefully this information will remain relevant for at least a few application cycles. It's weird having gone from lurking on this board and watching people apply for the 2015 incoming class, to becoming part of the 2016 incoming class, and now watching the 2017 incoming class. Maybe this thread will save a handful of people some serious dough. Good luck.

Reading this thread now . Im from FL so have applied to UF. Am I understanding this that Louisville will not let me change to in state after a year? I am also applying to VCU, Tenn, Maryland, UK, and Temple. I'm going to have to take loans out so have to take serious look at costs. How accurate are the total cost of attendance figures, VCU and Md say they are around $120000 a year, is this correct?! Not sure how I can afford that much less repay that .

[QUOTE =“ 0Mik3cho,帖子:21889455,成员:981813”]
我知道罗格(Rutger)一年后允许州内学费。任何人都对获得它有多难有任何评论?
[/引用]

It is very easy.