Onstarr

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Does the name of the school have a heavy influence on the residency selections?

I understand that I'll be competing with the whole nation depending on my gpa, board scores, personal statement etc etc.. but does where you went to med school make a big difference?

Asking because there are many new schools on the rise...

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
Timbers of Fennario
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
School name always makes a difference - whether it's undergrad, med school, law school, etc.

About the Ads

smgilles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Rochester, MN
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Does the name of the school have a heavy influence on the residency selections?

I understand that I'll be competing with the whole nation depending on my gpa, board scores, personal statement etc etc.. but does where you went to med school make a big difference?

Asking because there are many new schools on the rise...

Put is this way..I was given 1 pt. out of a possible of 8 pts for quality of medical school by a chairman of a program I interviewed at. This is a university allopathic institution that has many DO's within their hospital system.

I attend LECOM, which was started in 1993...so even though it is "older" in the DO realm of schools it is still considered very new. So yes, I think the place where you go to medical school and it being an established program makes a big difference. Programs obviously take it in to consideration when interviewing/ranking you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.