Schools and Residency selections..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onstarr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the name of the school have a heavy influence on the residency selections?

I understand that I'll be competing with the whole nation depending on my gpa, board scores, personal statement etc etc.. but does where you went to med school make a big difference?

Asking because there are many new schools on the rise...

Members don't see this ad.

Does but does where you went to med school make a big difference?

Big difference? Sometimes.

But it definately makes a difference.

School name always makes a difference - whether it's undergrad, med school, law school, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the name of the school have a heavy influence on the residency selections?

I understand that I'll be competing with the whole nation depending on my gpa, board scores, personal statement etc etc.. but does where you went to med school make a big difference?

Asking because there are many new schools on the rise...

Put is this way..I was given 1 pt. out of a possible of 8 pts for quality of medical school by a chairman of a program I interviewed at. This is a university allopathic institution that has many DO's within their hospital system.

I attend LECOM, which was started in 1993...so even though it is "older" in the DO realm of schools it is still considered very new. So yes, I think the place where you go to medical school and it being an established program makes a big difference. Programs obviously take it in to consideration when interviewing/ranking you.

smgilles--

So, did you get the position, LECOM education aside?

You consider 1993 old? Well, I guess if you look at all the branch schools popping up you are old.