schools and their out of state acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted to make sure I was looking at the MSAR corectly, even if the schools ays they “accept out of state applicants” how can I tell if they actually accept out of state students. I forget the school name but I saw it mentioned on here saying that they say they accept OOS but in reality they only accept 1 or 2 OOS applicants. thanks and sorry if that question was confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the acceptance data and look at the number of OOS interviewed and matriculated. In general, the higher for both numbers the more OOS friendly the school is.

Edit: Also, be aware of schools like U of Washington that have targeted OOS matriculation programs. They accept a lot of OOS, but they are most all from states they have a contract with.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the acceptance data and look at the number of OOS interviewed and matriculated. In general, the higher for both numbers the more OOS friendly the school is.

Ok thanks for your help. I figured i just had to look at the numbers but I just wanted to ask to be sure. Thanks for your help

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Edit: Also, be aware of schools like U of Washington that have targeted OOS matriculation programs. They accept a lot of OOS, but they are most all from states they have a contract with.

how do I know if they have contracts with schools from other states? Is there a way to find that out?

If you look on a school's website, it will say whether they prefer to take students from surrounding states or not. Also on MSAR, look at the map at the bottom of the page and that will show where students are coming from for their entering classes.

how do I know if they have contracts with schools from other states? Is there a way to find that out?
The school websites will have this info. However, if once you have your MCAT score (if you don't already) you can make a school list and post in the WAMC forum. There are plenty of awesome adcom members who will point out if you're applying somewhere that doesn't make sense.

Look at the applicants/matriculants data...OOS vs IS and compare that to total.

For example, if a public SOM received 4000 apps for 200 seats, and 20% (800) of apps were IS, then 3200 apps were from OOS.

Then if you look at matriculation numbers and if you're seeing 80% IS and 20% OOS, you might feel hopeful, but really, your app would have to be especially noteworthy (tie to the state, some hook) for the school to even pick yours out of the 3200 for an interview, and end up being one of those 40 OOS who matriculate.

Obviously, the 800 instate applicants have the much better chance. Likely at least half of those instate applicants will be interviewed. Maybe only 200 OOS (6.25%) will be issued an II

Oh, and yes about UWash...if you're not from a WWAMI state then you have virtually no chance.