Schools ask for fall grades before decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do schools ask for applicants' fall grades during the application year before making decisions? For example, I've heard that NYU requires updated transcripts for the Fall semester. My grades are expected to be significantly lower than previous years due to preparing for and travelling to interviews, so I'd rather that they didn't see the fact that an applicant with mostly A-'s are now getting B's. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression schools request your fall grades just to ensure you aren't failing. I have heard you just need to keep a minimum of 2.0 GPA (I hope all of us can keep that if we have been accepted). I'm sure there are other schools out there with different requirements, but this is just what I have heard.

I was under the impression schools request your fall grades just to ensure you aren't failing. I have heard you just need to keep a minimum of 2.0 GPA (I hope all of us can keep that if we have been accepted). I'm sure there are other schools out there with different requirements, but this is just what I have heard.

Does anyone else have any comments to this? I'm just not sure if schools check our fall semester grades to prove that we're not failing (which shouldn't ever happen) or to use it to make their final decision (which makes a low grades while preparing and travelling to interviews inexcusable).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have any comments to this? I'm just not sure if schools check our fall semester grades to prove that we're not failing (which shouldn't ever happen) or to use it to make their final decision (which makes a low grades while preparing and travelling to interviews inexcusable).

If they haven't made a decision yet...assume anything they see can factor in because it can. If you're already accepted don't worry about it.

If they haven't made a decision yet...assume anything they see can factor in because it can. If you're already accepted don't worry about it.

So can anybody weigh in on how frequently schools ask for fall semester grades before they make a decision?

So can anybody weigh in on how frequently schools ask for fall semester grades before they make a decision?

I really need to know this to decide how far I can push my senioritis.

This update with fall grades business is pretty ridiculous. How do schools expect you to be able to balance traveling to 5+ interviews and then balance grades during senior year? That's bound to get a little rough. They more than anyone should understand how unforgiving this process can be during this time of year. I mean, first of all you're checking your e-mail every day, and then you've got these teachers who are like "yo! F U MD22412. You gonnna FAIL ma class if you don't do dis dum dumity dum five page paper when everyone else gota do it. Oh? you got a interview at a good school? I'll push you r test back by a day and expect you to succeed anyway despite that you probably been nervous and probably that you missed these last four labs. Hey! good luck by the way.:luck: MUAHAHAHHA."

This update with fall grades business is pretty ridiculous. How do schools expect you to be able to balance traveling to 5+ interviews and then balance grades during senior year? That's bound to get a little rough. They more than anyone should understand how unforgiving this process can be during this time of year. I mean, first of all you're checking your e-mail every day, and then you've got these teachers who are like "yo! F U MD22412. You gonnna FAIL ma class if you don't do dis dum dumity dum five page paper when everyone else gota do it. Oh? you got a interview at a good school? I'll push you r test back by a day and expect you to succeed anyway despite that you probably been nervous and probably that you missed these last four labs. Hey! good luck by the way.:luck: MUAHAHAHHA."

What the hell did I just read?

:confused::confused:

What the hell did I just read?

:shrug: some people get too excited for no reason and mutters something meaningless...

I'm talking about teachers who are not understanding. Who wit me???

If I did not get any acceptances yet but a few interviews, will sending a fall transcript a little below my previous cum. GPA affect my chances?