Schools busting you for wrong LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntfries

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know there are a lot of questiosn about LOR's out there but I couldnt find an answer to my question despite searching 10 pages of threads. =( Thanks to anyone who can help!

Ok, so getting letter of recs has been a huge pain in the butt for me, since most profs i asked either 1) said no, or 2) have gone awol since the end of the quarter and havent bothered responding to any of my emails. As a result, I have only managed to round up strong letters from:

1) one science professor
2) my PI (who i also happened to take a lab course with)
3) my boss at work (head reseasrcher at a biomedical research company)
4) the children's hospital i volunteer at (the letter-writer, unfortunately, decided to go on vacation and won't write me one till late august).

Painfully absent from this list is a letter from a non-science professor, which I know many schools will require from me. My question is, it being mid-july, should I continue to harrass professors until i get a non-science rec from one of them? Will they penalize me if I send them 4 good recs that don't all comply with their requirements? something tells me i'm doomed if I don't get that last important rec...sigh.

I hate flaky professors :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

burntfries said:
Sorry, I know there are a lot of questiosn about LOR's out there but I couldnt find an answer to my question despite searching 10 pages of threads. =( Thanks to anyone who can help!

Ok, so getting letter of recs has been a huge pain in the butt for me, since most profs i asked either 1) said no, or 2) have gone awol since the end of the quarter and havent bothered responding to any of my emails. As a result, I have only managed to round up strong letters from:

1) one science professor
4) the children's hospital i volunteer at (the letter-writer, unfortunately, decided to go on vacation and won't write me one till late august).

Painfully absent from this list is a letter from a non-science professor, which I know many schools will require from me. My question is, it being mid-july, should I continue to harrass professors until i get a non-science rec from one of them? Will they penalize me if I send them 4 good recs that don't all comply with their requirements? something tells me i'm doomed if I don't get that last important rec...sigh.

You should at least try to get that last letter. You could maybe ask the schools that require a non-science LOR to take the volunteer person. However, the purpose of the non-science LOR is to get a gauge how well-rounded you are academically. If you don't have it, it will definitely work against you.

burntfries said:

1) one science professor

I think that you should call the admissions office of the school that requires a non-science LOR and tell them what LORs you do have. Ask them if those LORs would satisfy their requirements. Why go through the hassle of finding someone else to write a LOR if you really don't have to? Anyway, just call the admissions office. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
What is a PI?

^ the professor that i do research with

yes everyone is right....you should try to get the letter of rec but double check with your schools.
also, can someone please tell me if criminology, law, and society letter of rec counts as a non-science letter? I think it does, but just want to make sure...thanks

I'm no expert, but I would think the criminology rec would count as a non-science letter. Anyone know about a letter from an EMT instructor, science or non...?