Schools' defining characteristic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillnotjaded

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone! Long time lurker here, getting my own school list together. Although I have done a significant amount of my own research, I realize there may be perspectives out there that I haven't come across yet on what makes each med school unique, or what the defining characteristic for each is. I figure if enough of us come together and post what we've gathered about specific schools, it could be a much more concise way to sift through info than going to each site and attempting to make sense of individual mission statements (that all sound the same anyways). Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I can put my own two cents out there to start. It seems to me that Boston University is known for being especially geared towards Social Justice aspects of medicine such as the Social determinants of health, etc. Their curriculum seems to reflect this.

That's where these forums help. I think you can also review the school specific threads to see if there is feedback you would find useful.

However for a defining characteristic, it boils down to mission, curriculum, clinics, technology, and community. Figure out what is important to you, or else every school will sound awesome. (Discussed in Becoming a Student Doctor. )

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can put my own two cents out there to start. It seems to me that Boston University is known for being especially geared towards Social Justice aspects of medicine such as the Social determinants of health, etc. Their curriculum seems to reflect this.
Only thing matters in med school, are prestige, location and how much you have to pay. Mission is bs (once you are there, you will never hear it again.) curriculum is identical, don’t care about other bs stuff such as free clinic or global health blah blah. It’s all for marketing and pseudo-differentiation. You will practically get the same education in almost all the USMD schools.So don’t waste your time. Focus on how to get yourself competitive and then apply.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
einstein, case, stanford, yale, ucsd, virginia tech = research
vcu, tulane, creighton = service
idk off the top of my head but these could be semi accurate

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there everyone! Long time lurker here, getting my own school list together. Although I have done a significant amount of my own research, I realize there may be perspectives out there that I haven't come across yet on what makes each med school unique, or what the defining characteristic for each is. I figure if enough of us come together and post what we've gathered about specific schools, it could be a much more concise way to sift through info than going to each site and attempting to make sense of individual mission statements (that all sound the same anyways). Thanks in advance!
It's really best if you do this homework yourself.

Reactions: 2 users