Schools favoring their undergrads

Started by apteryx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apteryx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is probably just a matter of opinion at this point, unless someone has actual fact to back it up. Now then, there are certain schools who say upfront that they favor their own students and will give up their seats before allowing transfers in. Others say they favor in-state applicants. Then there are those who say they do not favor either or, and that all students are given equal chance.

Now, my problem lies with the last statement. Do you really think that presented with 2 fairly equally qualified prospective students(one who attends the same school undergrad already, and one who is applying from another school), that the student who already attends the school would receive more favor? Even beyond that, if the "foreign" student was maybe a little more qualified, that they may give the spot to the student already attending their school?

I've asked a couple of pharmacists I know for their opinions, and one of them actually laughed and said they "know" they would show favor to the student already "one of their own." Now, he obviously isn't an adcom, but maybe he knows a little more than me on the issue. I'm graduating from UB with a BA in Chem this spring and hopefully will be accepted to the Pharm.D. program, and this thought has crossed my mind. UB claims they do not favor current UB students over others. OR DO THEY?!?!111!1 Not that I really care too much for myself, just seemed interesting enough to ask you people in similar predicaments.

Your thoughts?
 
I think it really depends on how much school "spirit" (or whatever term is most appropriate...) the school actually has. For example, I know my school UCSD would give me absolutely no advantage over another student with similar stats.. but our school is also known as UC socially dead. My personal opinion, anyway.
 
I think that possibly UNC might favor their own undergrads. But I am not entirely sure whether it is simply because more students from UNC apply to UNC pharmacy or whether there is a higher acceptance ratio for UNC undergrad students applying to the pharmacy school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it really depends on how much school "spirit" (or whatever term is most appropriate...) the school actually has. For example, I know my school UCSD would give me absolutely no advantage over another student with similar stats.. but our school is also known as UC socially dead. My personal opinion, anyway.

lol, who would wnat to stay at UCSD for another four years. 😱
 
I think that possibly UNC might favor their own undergrads. But I am not entirely sure whether it is simply because more students from UNC apply to UNC pharmacy or whether there is a higher acceptance ratio for UNC undergrad students applying to the pharmacy school.

I'm a UNC undergrad and I've heard of UNC pharmacy school "taking care of their own," so to speak. Of course, there's nothing that I know of to back this up.
 
Similarly, UIC has said that for otherwise completely equal applications, they will favor those already in the University of Illinois system (attended UIUC, UIC or UIS). This is probably fairly common for public, state schools.
 
Similarly, UIC has said that for otherwise completely equal applications, they will favor those already in the University of Illinois system (attended UIUC, UIC or UIS). This is probably fairly common for public, state schools.

It is probably safe to say that several schools give preference to their undergrads or to their state residents. Three of the schools I am applying for state that they give preference.

Perhaps it is because the schools have already "invested" in you for so long in undergrad. If you are a good applicant, then you will probably succeed in the program and subsequently succeed in the field of pharmacy which makes the school's stats look pretty good. I don't know - it is just an idea. UofA's statistics state that about 80-90% of their students are Arizona residents. Some schools have a limited number of spots for out-of-state applicants.