schools for nontraditional students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

please list schools that are amenable to older students with life experience in the health care field. gpa 3.97, anticipating mcat> 24

Members don't see this ad.

I think that 24 is going to make things a little tougher. Bright side is, however, your GPA is steller and some schools use a GPA MCAT formula that results in one number which is compared to a standard to determine if an interview is offered.

After that, you have a chance to perform well on your interview (as most not traditionals have alot of experience to talk about and they often can relate to the interviewer a little bit better than their younger counterparts).

Have you thought about trying to increase your MCAT a bit? Perhaps your numbers are good enough for your state school. Here in Kansas, a 27 is the average, so a 24 might get a seat.

There are a few other options. Osteopathic, MCP Hahnemann and a few others are open to accepting olderstudents.

EMEDPA:

I'm a "non-traditional" student, 31 and a former musician. If I were you, I'd re-take the MCAT, as painful as that sounds.

Based on my personal experience (getting interviews), there doesn't seem to be a great deal of discrimination against older students. As a matter of fact, places like Case Western encourage older students to apply. So I wouldn't let the fear of being "too old" get in your way. As a matter of fact, you can use it to your advantage. Unlike a lot of applicants, who have little real-world experience, you probably have a lot of insight into the world that you should include on your applications. I know, without the experiences I had out of college, I would not have come to the decision to pursue medicine.

But again, I would probably take the MCAT over. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 26, so I guess that puts me in the non-traditional range. I agree with the above posters. You may get into an allopathic program with a 24 MCAT but I think you must be selective when determining where you want to send you applications. I probably wouldn't waste the time or money applying to schools that have an average MCAT of 30 and over. Also, I would apply to a handful of osteopathic schools. I would think you would have a solid shot at acceptance to a DO program. Good luck.

thanks for all of the above. I will check out case western and the do schools

Give Boston U, Dartmouth, Pitt, St. Louis, Creighton, Med College of Wisconsin a look. They're all places I found to be very friendly to non-traditional students...namely me :)