School's gmail signed in to my computer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just created my school gmail account this week and I can't help but notice, unless I put up private mode, the gmail stays signed in.

I'm wondering if this means the school can see what I do on my laptop. I know that sounds far fetched, but I have this weird fear of privacy breaking. I sort of have this fear when using school provided iPad for my persona video chat, instagram, youtube, etc.

Anybody else have this fear?

Members don't see this ad.

You should have that fear anytime you interact with any device. The school isn't the only entity collecting your information. Although most of the time it is inconsequential because nobody cares what you do unless it is really egregious.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Can't you just set your gmail to not sign in all the time?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I just created my school gmail account this week and I can't help but notice, unless I put up private mode, the gmail stays signed in.

I'm wondering if this means the school can see what I do on my laptop. I know that sounds far fetched, but I have this weird fear of privacy breaking. I sort of have this fear when using school provided iPad for my persona video chat, instagram, youtube, etc.

Anybody else have this fear?
That's why I am quite thankful that my school will be providing us with an Ipad dedicated to school stuff, and I will not be using it for any personal uses. Also just in case you downloaded something weird and messed up your Ipad, it might be a hassle to factory-reset it since you will lose all of the school applications and whatnot.

You know, I would normally make a joke about the school using Gmail to see your browsing history, but it's probably true these days. If your school gives you extra financial aid for a laptop (assuming you already had a personal one) I would just buy a laptop dedicated to school use only.

Can't you just set your gmail to not sign in all the time?
That's harder than it sounds. Then I would have to re-login into the school email and I think.
That's why I am quite thankful that my school will be providing us with an Ipad dedicated to school stuff, and I will not be using it for any personal uses. Also just in case you downloaded something weird and messed up your Ipad, it might be a hassle to factory-reset it since you will lose all of the school applications and whatnot.
Yeah our school will do that, too. I think in the meanwhile I'll just have to wait but then when I get the iPad I can do all my school stuff on there and sign off the gmail from my personal laptop.

I mean are you doing anything THAT out of the ordinary? I’m a rising M4 and if anyone wants to see what I’ve been doing it’s mostly sitting at this same desk for 3.5 years

Reactions: 1 users
I mean are you doing anything THAT out of the ordinary? I’m a rising M4 and if anyone wants to see what I’ve been doing it’s mostly sitting at this same desk for 3.5 years
I would try to stay away from using the school email address for non-school related things. I was too dependent on my undergrad email address and when they closed it after I graduated, I had a horrible time transferring things over to my personal email address.

I would try to stay away from using the school email address for non-school related things. I was too dependent on my undergrad email address and when they closed it after I graduated, I had a horrible time transferring things over to my personal email address.
Haha I got to keep my undergrad email for life. It’s a small school

• Wow
Haha I got to keep my undergrad email for life. It’s a small school

Mine makes me pay $50 a year in order to keep it. Changing my info on all of my vital accounts would be too much of a pain. Not to mention that my Gmail accounts outside the school network keep getting hacked.

At least the Alumni people at my school send me a hand-written card every year inviting me to a formal dinner they host every year, although I have to pay them a chunk of change in order to actually attend.

Mine makes me pay $50 a year in order to keep it. Changing my info on all of my vital accounts would be too much of a pain. Not to mention that my Gmail accounts outside the school network keep getting hacked.

At least the Alumni people at my school send me a hand-written card every year inviting me to a formal dinner they host every year, although I have to pay them a chunk of change in order to actually attend.
As long the email stays active, the school email is yours to keep for life. Still get that kush 500 gb google drive online storage too. I use it because it’s literally (firstname.lastname)@(school).edu so it’s professional enough to use.
If your emails keep getting hacked try using password manager like lastpass! It’s free and it autofills passwords for every site and you can auto generate passwords. You have one master password that you only use for lastpass. So instead of using the same password for multiple sites (greater chance of one of those sites being breached) you have different passwords for every site. Makes my life so much easier. I started using it after one of my emails got breached.

My school sent me a notice 3 months prior, saying hey you graduated, we will be closing your email account, pack it up.

• Haha

Hawt. Calling Brazzers now!