beckhunter116

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
South
Status
Pre-Medical
I am about to take my MCAT and in case I have to retake will the scores be averaged, just the better of the two scores, or the best sections put together. Is there a list of this out somewhere, for each school?

Also, how did a retake in Jan work out? I mean would schools hold off on evaluating your application until Jan. or did your app get thrown out?

If people could post on the policy for the schools they know I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

nanaschool2000

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
They take the better test score. They don't take the best section and add them.

Some schools do take January mcat and some school don't. You can check which school accepts Jan mcat on AACOM website (2010 application information book PDF)

Good luck on your MCAT. Don't think about retaking it. Just rock it this time. :)

Rubisco

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Status
They take the better test score. They don't take the best section and add them.

Some schools do take January mcat and some school don't. You can check which school accepts Jan mcat on AACOM website (2010 application information book PDF)

Good luck on your MCAT. Don't think about retaking it. Just rock it this time. :)
It depends on the school. There was a thread not too long ago (within the last month or so) where we have already discussed which schools take composite MCAT scores along with the schools that have a certain bias towards subsection scores or just care about the total score.

You can do a quick search to find it. One of the top of my head is Ohio (taking composite scores).

premedmind

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I would also like to know if schools consider a Jan MCAT retake. Is there a thread somewhere?

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status
I would also like to know if schools consider a Jan MCAT retake. Is there a thread somewhere?
The CIB has all your answers.

Do you guys not read that thing?

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
OP
B

beckhunter116

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
South
Status
Pre-Medical
I was more interested in personal accounts of how the Jan retake went with regards to admissions/interviews.

I have looked over the CIB though so thanks CB.

There are a few threads from last cycle about Jan retakes, but no one gave updates if they had interviews or how it went so yeah...if anyone wants to share please do!

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
I was more interested in personal accounts of how the Jan retake went with regards to admissions/interviews.

I have looked over the CIB though so thanks CB.

There are a few threads from last cycle about Jan retakes, but no one gave updates if they had interviews or how it went so yeah...if anyone wants to share please do!
My comment was directed at everyone reading this. Not you specifically. :)

Yeah, January MCAT is accepted by most schools, but it's fairly late in the cycle by the time they get your scores.

Hopefully some people from last year can lend some insight.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
One thing you really need to look at it that there really is no "late" application, for the most part, until the deadline has come and gone. Many schools are interviewing into late April these days and acceptances that late are very common. Why? It's the rolling admissions process.

When the MCAT was only given twice a year there were two floods of applications. One at the beginning, for those who took it in April, and one when the August scores were released. If you didn't take it by August... then you applied the next year. These days, applications literally are filed all the way through the process. Schools know there are late applicants and most of them have seats available until they stop interviewing. There are, of course, notable exceptions. Yet, lots of people are now taking the January MCAT, getting interviews in March and April, and getting spots.

A lot of people are under the misconception that you are applying for 150 vacant seats in July, but only 10 or 20 in March, so it's harder to get in. That's not necessarily true. Schools typically offer a certain number, or range, of people admissions each month. You are really only competing for the number of seats they intend to fill right then. They accept the ones they want and they waitlist the people that are ok while they wait for the best applicants from the next group to interview. People they don't want are just denied. If they have a particularly bad month of applicants that come through, they might pull some from the waitlist. Usually, though, there isn't a lot of waitlist movement until interviews are over.

The simple fact is that if you are a mediocre candidate in February, you have about the same chances as a mediocre candidate who applied in July. When interviews are over you'll be fighting each other for a chance to get off the waitlist.

There is one other thing that really deserves discussion, though. You can be a mediocre candidate and still get a spot by working for it. If you really want to go to a certain school, get off of your butt and visit them a couple of times during undergrad-- before the applications process takes off. If you have inadequacies (a less-than-stellar GPA, for example), talk to them about it before you ever apply. Meet representatives from the school and ask them ehat you need to do. Become a familiar name in their minds and you will be taken more seriously when your application finally arrives. chools may say they have an absolute cutoff of 3.2 for GPA, and if all you do is send in an app with your 3.1 showing they will throw your app straight into the waste basket. BUT, if you are on a first-name basis with couple of folks there at the school, you might just get a shot. There really are no absolutes! Rules are broken more often than you might imagine. But rules don't get broken for you if you just send in your app, sit back, and wait for something to happen.

Getting into medical school is hard. It's intended to be that way. But, when you work harder than anyone else you can also get results that are better than anyone else. Chances are that you will end up with someone in your class who has a 19 on his or her MCAT. How does that happen? They worked harder than anyone else to get in. Or, they could be sleeping with the dean... but that's another story..haha! Good luck!

OP
B

beckhunter116

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
South
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks Scpod!

As a slightly older non-trad, I do recognize that rules are broken everyday for people who go above and beyond what is required to stand out and shine, even if they have lower stats.

I guess mostly this whole process is nerve-racking even though I have been reading everything I could for months. I took the MCAT on July 30, I left feeling like I could get a 20 or 30, I just have no clue. I know if I need to retake I won't rush it and I know what areas I need to work on.

Ok, I've unloaded enough, onward and upward! Thanks everyone.