Schools of Pharmacy

Started by VCU07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VCU07

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't mean to cause an uproar, but I was wondering how many schools of pharmacy have become accredited. Here in VA, there are 2 other pharmacy schools (soon to be 3)...the experience we have had with students of these other schools has not been good. I have worked with interns from the other schools and have noticed a few things. First, very few of these students actually know how to compound or make IVs. Second, they have much less in depth knowledge. After looking at the cirriculum for these schools I learned they have no actual labs that require compounding or IV prep. How is this so? I am not trying to say VCU is better than these schools, but sometimes I think its better to be on a hosptial campus. I am seriously calling for a pharmacy school cirriculum standardization so our profession can move forward.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they're interns maybe they haven't had those labs yet. I know that in Florida we become licensed interns the first year but I won't be doing those labs until 3rd year so maybe that's why you've had those experiences.
 
Trancelucent1 said:
If they're interns maybe they haven't had those labs yet. I know that in Florida we become licensed interns the first year but I won't be doing those labs until 3rd year so maybe that's why you've had those experiences.

You'll learn to make IV's during your second year. You do one semester at a hospital during your practicum rotation. I believe Compounding lab is 3rd year. At least my schedule for fall has something called Pharmaceutical Skills Lab I. I assume it is compounding.
 
lol this topic is rather funny because i think that VCU's curriculum seems outdated and is need for an update

i guess its all on perception
 
All I have to say is compare the board pass rates. Our last graduating class had a pass rate of 100%, while one school in VA (no mention of name) was much, much, much lower. Shanendoah may be on a hospital campus, but it is not associated with a medical school, which makes a huge difference. We get taught by experts who teach us in detail. In fact, we had a girl who transferred from another school and couldn't handle it. She transferred back at the end of the semester. Additionally, we have labs starting 1st year in compounding and continue through our third year (chemo). Again, I am not saying VCU is better, but we were ranked within the top 20 schools in the nation. If anyone's cirriculum is outdated it is not VCUs. Also, I am more worried about what these new schools that are popping up will do to our profession. Look at the new Appalachian school of pharmacy. They will accept students not really prepared for pharmacy so they can get their programs started. And the troll who responded about the pharmacy organizations has no idea what he is talking about. There are organizations who look over pharmacy cirriculum, but no standard has been set (except for requiring the PharmD degree). I say this in comparison to medical or dental schools that have a national cirriculum, which states what needs to be taught...not what each school thinks is important which is what schools of pharmacy do.



bbmuffin said:
lol this topic is rather funny because i think that VCU's curriculum seems outdated and is need for an update

i guess its all on perception
 
VCU07 said:
All I have to say is compare the board pass rates. Our last graduating class had a pass rate of 100%, while one school in VA (no mention of name) was much, much, much lower. Shanendoah may be on a hospital campus, but it is not associated with a medical school, which makes a huge difference. We get taught by experts who teach us in detail. In fact, we had a girl who transferred from another school and couldn't handle it. She transferred back at the end of the semester. Additionally, we have labs starting 1st year in compounding and continue through our third year (chemo). Again, I am not saying VCU is better, but we were ranked within the top 20 schools in the nation. If anyone's cirriculum is outdated it is not VCUs. Also, I am more worried about what these new schools that are popping up will do to our profession. Look at the new Appalachian school of pharmacy. They will accept students not really prepared for pharmacy so they can get their programs started. And the troll who responded about the pharmacy organizations has no idea what he is talking about. There are organizations who look over pharmacy cirriculum, but no standard has been set (except for requiring the PharmD degree). I say this in comparison to medical or dental schools that have a national cirriculum, which states what needs to be taught...not what each school thinks is important which is what schools of pharmacy do.
look i don't go to a school in VA but do know people at VCU and have discussed indepth their curriculum

if you look at the curriculum of other schools 20 years ago and VCUs they are very similar

if you look at schools who have updated they are different

that is my point

i don't like your curriculum sorry.
 
VCU07 said:
And the troll who responded about the pharmacy organizations has no idea what he is talking about. There are organizations who look over pharmacy cirriculum, but no standard has been set (except for requiring the PharmD degree).

Hmmm...
http://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/Standards2000.pdf

Since when was C-ject a troll? Did I miss a memo, or something? All these months, exchanging PM's with a troll! I feel so violated, I need to go clean out my inbox with plenty of soap and water... 🙄 (sarcasm implied)
 
Look, I didn't start crap. I just wanted to know how schools got accredited. It was other people who took it the wrong way, not me. I didn't even name any specific school names...that was other people. So, if anyone is unprofessional it is not me. Looks like people need to learn how to read into threads before responding in a condesending manner to me. I am just defending myself...I will not allow people to talk crap to me. So, too bad


jemc2000 said:
That was unnecessary and very unprofessional. 👎
 
VCU07 said:
Look, I didn't start crap. I just wanted to know how schools got accredited.

That's not quite what your OP says...but go to http://acpe-accredit.org if you want to find out for yourself.

It was other people who took it the wrong way, not me. I didn't even name any specific school names...that was other people.

from your OP:
Here in VA, there are 2 other pharmacy schools (soon to be 3)...the experience we have had with students of these other schools has not been good.

...doesn't take a genious to figure out what schools you are talking about.

So, if anyone is unprofessional it is not me. Looks like people need to learn how to read into threads before responding in a condesending manner to me. I am just defending myself...I will not allow people to talk crap to me. So, too bad

So, bringing up two pharmacy programs (as well as new programs, like my own) and, painting with the broadest brush possible, besmirching these programs and every student in it is not unprofessional. OK then...

Oh, and in regards to your response to FutureRxGal:
VCU07 said:
I dont like your story either (expletive deleted)

What the heck is that supposed to mean?! You know, she's a moderator on this forum...last time I checked, ad hominem attacks and name-calling are TOS violations. Nice going...
 
VCU07 said:
Look, I didn't start crap. I just wanted to know how schools got accredited. It was other people who took it the wrong way, not me. I didn't even name any specific school names...that was other people. So, if anyone is unprofessional it is not me. Looks like people need to learn how to read into threads before responding in a condesending manner to me. I am just defending myself...I will not allow people to talk crap to me. So, too bad
i honestly find it hard to believe that if you have read the treads on this forum you don't know how schools are accredited...

i mean it is hard for me to believe that a student in a pharmacy school doesn't know what the accrediting body for pharmacy schools are or even the CAPE stuff.. i mean that is in EVERY syllabus we have not to mention that there is google....

had you just wanted to know how schools were accredited i belive you would have said...

"how are schools accredited?"

and then to top it all off... you dis other schools of pharmacy but when it comes to someone saying that your school's curriculum looks outdated you flip out!

honestly i can't believe you have resorted to name calling... much less have ths stupidity to do it to a MOD!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VCU07 said:
Look, I didn't start crap. I just wanted to know how schools got accredited. It was other people who took it the wrong way, not me.

If by "not me" you actually mean that you didn't ask that anywhere, then yeah, everyone else got it wrong but you.
 
When it comes down to it this is an internet forum. You all def. take this too seriously...the point of these forums is to interact and have your questions answered, not to start fighting and being sarcastic like many of you are. I didn't know the website of the accredition board and thought you all would know, which is what my first quesiton was all about. If standards for accredation are printed on every syllabus then I must be missing out. I didn't flip out over the cirriculum. Honestly, I could care less. I was trying to explain how our cirriculum works and yes, I do take offense to people being sarcastic (wether it is a mod or just a member). Additionally, I did not "dis" any pharmacy schools. I stated the facts...if you do not believe them go look them up. As far as reading threads in this forum go...well, I don't frequent studentdoctor like many of you as seen by how many postings I've had over the past year, which are very few. Finally, what is so special about a mod? There just a member with regular rights as anyone else. If she doesn't like any thread she can close it down...So, what?



bbmuffin said:
i honestly find it hard to believe that if you have read the treads on this forum you don't know how schools are accredited...

i mean it is hard for me to believe that a student in a pharmacy school doesn't know what the accrediting body for pharmacy schools are or even the CAPE stuff.. i mean that is in EVERY syllabus we have not to mention that there is google....

had you just wanted to know how schools were accredited i belive you would have said...

"how are schools accredited?"

and then to top it all off... you dis other schools of pharmacy but when it comes to someone saying that your school's curriculum looks outdated you flip out!

honestly i can't believe you have resorted to name calling... much less have ths stupidity to do it to a MOD!
 
I kind of see where VCU07 is coming from. I've talked to a few of my classmates who had worked and/or interviewed at Shenandoah. They have nothing but bad things to say about the school, with the faculty basically saying that my classmates were overqualified for the school, and they were just looking for people to fill the need of pharmacists in rural Virginia. They would accept people with PCATs of 40s who were from the area. It's just hearsay, but sounds similar to what the OP was saying.
 
VCU07 said:
When it comes down to it this is an internet forum. You all def. take this too seriously...the point of these forums is to interact and have your questions answered, not to start fighting and being sarcastic like many of you are. I didn't know the website of the accredition board and thought you all would know, which is what my first quesiton was all about. If standards for accredation are printed on every syllabus then I must be missing out. I didn't flip out over the cirriculum. Honestly, I could care less. I was trying to explain how our cirriculum works and yes, I do take offense to people being sarcastic (wether it is a mod or just a member). Additionally, I did not "dis" any pharmacy schools. I stated the facts...if you do not believe them go look them up. As far as reading threads in this forum go...well, I don't frequent studentdoctor like many of you as seen by how many postings I've had over the past year, which are very few. Finally, what is so special about a mod? There just a member with regular rights as anyone else. If she doesn't like any thread she can close it down...So, what?
I find it funny that someone who is complaining about another school's curriculum cannot even spell curriculum correctly. I also get bothered when I see people in professional school with poor grammar. To me it's very unprofessional (even if it is just a lowly messageboard). I know I'm not important and I've misspelled things plenty of time online. But I know the different between "there" and "they're." Just my opinion!
 
Hmm...Did you mean "difference" and not different? LOL


Trancelucent1 said:
I find it funny that someone who is complaining about another school's curriculum cannot even spell curriculum correctly. I also get bothered when I see people in professional school with poor grammar. To me it's very unprofessional (even if it is just a lowly messageboard). I know I'm not important and I've misspelled things plenty of time online. But I know the different between "there" and "they're." Just my opinion!
 
Yup...but that's still quite different than "they're" and "there." Or "curriculum" when you're criticizing another school's curriculum. I just found that ironic and entertaining.
 
Trancelucent1 said:
Yup...but that's still quite different than "they're" and "there." Or "curriculum" when you're criticizing another school's curriculum. I just found that ironic and entertaining.

Is this the spelling bee contest? 😀
 
People need to chill out.

East coast is way to up tight about some things.

That's why I'm brining some West Coast love out to ya'll in August. 😀

No one needs to know how to speel anymore, that's what spellcheck is for. Unless of course you're Gaylord Focker in the removed scene from Meet the Parents (2nd release - check it out =) )

Sarcasm in general is not a very encouraging manner of speech, but we all indulge in it anyway. Oh our wicked tongues...
 
Sosumi said:
I kind of see where VCU07 is coming from. I've talked to a few of my classmates who had worked and/or interviewed at Shenandoah. They have nothing but bad things to say about the school, with the faculty basically saying that my classmates were overqualified for the school, and they were just looking for people to fill the need of pharmacists in rural Virginia. They would accept people with PCATs of 40s who were from the area. It's just hearsay, but sounds similar to what the OP was saying.

I'm not in the pharmacy profession...so, maybe I don't have room to talk. But if this is true, then it can't be good for the profession as a whole. It seems that this would hold the profession back, rather than moving it forward. It's disturbing, especially, because I know many people who are very qualified (have good GPA, and decent PCAT scores) that can't get accepted because the competition is so high. Yet, there "may" be less qualified people getting in to other schools because they may serve the rural population? So, are people living in rural areas not as deserving to get better qualified health professionals?
 
For the last time, spelling is different than grammar! Spelling incorrectly on a messageboard is one thing, it happens. And yes spell check does work (to a degree). As one of my professors always says we're in a business where a simple mistake could kill someone. I wasn't trying to be all serious about it, I was just noting the irony...but apparently many people missed that. I'm no spelling bee champion but I do think that if someone's going to come out and criticize another school then they should at least be able to distinguish between certain words.

Oh yeah and most people who know me would never consider me uptight. It's all about perception and how someone comes across over the internet.