schools offer hearing aids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podstudentNJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a podiatry student with a hearing impairment. I have been able to deal with it for many years but find that I can't hear what my attendings are saying a lot of the time either in surgery or clinic. I think I would really benefit from a hearing aid and plan on seeing an audiologist soon but I've heard that hearing aids costs thousands of dollars. I was wondering if any of the schools offer lower priced hearing aids or have any programs? I really don't have money to spend thousands on a hearing aid right now. I am not asking for medical advice (note to the moderator) just wondering if any schools offererd any programs that i might benefit from. thank you for any information you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

There is not at my university; however, I would check the local university speech and hearing clinics (Montclair State University Speech and Hearing Clinic???). You could check with your state vocational rehabilitation services. They may pay for aids. If you cannot find any funding mechanisms locally, I would simply use approximately $1500 to $2000 of your loans from your next disbursement to get a pair of aids. Make sure the aids have a selectable directional microphone and if money is really tight, you could probably get away with only one aid. After all, it's better than none.

Definately check with your state for financial help. I know here in Texas we have the Departement of Assitive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) that can help out in certain circumstances.

My school's speech and hearing clinic dispenses hearing aids, but they are not at much of a discount. By and large you will find HAs grouped into 4 main categories (price related to features):

Budget
Standard
Midrange
High-end

In general, most of the HA's with comparable features stay around the same price everywhere. I would not recommend looking at custom hearing aids that fall around or under $500 each. Usually these are a lower quality, some may use analog technology (digital is the standard these days) and you'll most likely be dissatisfied. Just do your research and you'll be ok. Your audiologist should know where you can get financial help and what would best suit your needs and budget.

If you have any other questions, just PM me and I'll help out if I can.