Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

New York Phd. in Hearing Sciences Applicant

Discussion in 'Audiology [ Au.D ]' started by StudentX, Sep 25, 2018.

1. StudentX

Hello,
    So I'm currently an undergraduate senior at a City University of New York preparing my graduate school portfolio for some PhD. Programs both instate and out fo state:
    - SUNY Buffalo
    - CUNY Graduate Center
    - Syracuse University
    - Northwestern
    - Vanderbilt

There are some weaknesses in my applications:
    - One F in physics of musical sound
    - A weak GPA both overall and in the major.

But some solid strengths
    - 2 years of research experience in a graduate school lab
    - 5 publications
    - Part of a NSF funded undergraduate research program

Along with some strong recommendation letters from faculty members from one of the schools I'm applying to and my lab mentor. My personal statement is strong and explains why my GPA is so weak and I'm currently preparing for the GREs and anticipate scores that match up with Vanderbilt's standards for their Phd. Program.

Can anyone who's either been admitted to any of the aforementioned graduate schools share if my weak GPA and F will strongly effect my admission into any of those programs? Basically, if I have to increase my GPA and apply during the next cycle.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lstactionxero00

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

It is unlikely that you are going to find many people on this particular forum who have applied to or have been accepted to these programs. But, as a general rule, having a poor GPA, whether it is overall, in your major, or both, is a very quick way for any program to weed you out. Most review committees have strict GPA criteria that will be used to toss out applications before they are reviewed further, so even if you have a great personal statement that explains the GPA issues, it might not ever get read. At a majority of universities, the applicant review committees are staffed by the non-tenured professors and they generally don't have time to dig deep on application that has a poor GPA to start with. You could try applying to a few schools this round and if you get in, then cool. If not, you can ask for additional feedback on your application. It would probably be a good idea to continue working on that GPA though.