Schools pumping out pharmacists?

Started by jacst3r
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jacst3r

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
During my pharm school interview last weekend, while I was describing how I really enjoyed the school's well-rounded curriculum, one of the student interviewer commented on how some schools are just "pumping out pharmacists" (rather than preparing their students for future challenges in the field).

Just wondering what schools are known to be "pumping out pharmacists"??
 
During my pharm school interview last weekend, while I was describing how I really enjoyed the school's well-rounded curriculum, one of the student interviewer commented on how some schools are just "pumping out pharmacists" (rather than preparing their students for future challenges in the field).

Just wondering what schools are known to be "pumping out pharmacists"??

That would be pretty much every school....
 
i'm sure some schools more than others put more effort in ensuring their students are well equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to become a GOOD pharmacist... or at least i hope so....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perhaps the schools with very high enrollment that routinely have a significant number of dropouts. That's just speculation though, but I'd guess that all schools are concerned to some degree about preparing their students for the real world. My professors focus on preparing us for rotations quite often.
 
Well if anyone actually named a few schools, there would be a nasty fight that would ensue as someone would be surely offended. That being said, I do agree after looking at several schools' curriculums that many are only trying to satisfy the retail shortage. Also, not every school has the capacity to offer a wide range focus anyways, and that's okay - it just matters that students who are applying to those programs understand those limitations. It only becomes problematic when students come in with different expectations for what a school can provide.