Schools That Absolutely Require A DO Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotYY4U

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools don't care MD or DO.

Some say they require a DO but there are stories where this wasn't the case and students were accepted without one.

Can someone comment on what schools they know of absolutely will not look at you without a DO letter.

I'm applying next cycle and feel a DO letter may be an issue for me to obtain

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools don't care MD or DO.

Some say they require a DO but there are stories where this wasn't the case and students were accepted without one.

Can someone comment on what schools they know of absolutely will not look at you without a DO letter.

I'm applying next cycle and feel a DO letter may be an issue for me to obtain
How're your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
How're your stats?

So-so

cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.14 - 3.34 (depending how scientific AACOMAS thinks my Neuropsych classes are)
MCAT: 498 (retaking in June)
Non-Trad in mid 20's. Pretty good ECs in my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
So-so

sGPA: 3.14 - 3.34 (depending how scientific AACOMAS thinks my Neuropsych classes are)

All 8/8 of the schools that required it that I applied to send an email about how the application is "incomplete" - meaning they won't send the app to the adcom until its in the file.

You can do it in a month.

So-so

Honestly?

I wouldn’t apply with that.

Wait until an SMP/PB or strong MCAT retake to apply.

Honestly?

I wouldn’t apply with that.

Wait until an SMP/PB or strong MCAT retake to apply.
Actually, from my experience this cycle, I think OP might have a decent chance (at least at the new DOs) even with his current stats, and if he retakes the MCAT and scrores a 505 or better, he'll have a great chance. That might also depend on his ECs, his letters, and his personal statement. OP, whatever the cost, make sure you have a DO letter. It will be beneficial for your app going forward (from secondaries to interviews). Go to doctorsthatdo.org and find your nearest DOs, and try calling or emailing them to see if you can shadow which eventually might lead them to write you a letter. Last year (around September) that's exactly what I did. I only shadowed that doctor for two days, and she agreed to write me a letter, and keep in mind my app was already submitted lol. I ended up with 12 IIs (or more I can't even keep count anymore lol), attended 5 of them, and got 2 acceptances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don’t consider “applying broadly and hoping for the best” a decent chance.

Don’t ever apply without putting your best foot forward. If you think you can do better, do better.

Actually, from my experience this cycle, I think OP might have a decent chance (at least at the new DOs) even with his current stats, and if he retakes the MCAT and scrores a 505 or better, he'll have a great chance. That might also depend on his ECs, his letters, and his personal statement. OP, whatever the cost, make sure you have a DO letter. It will be beneficial for your app going forward (from secondaries to interviews). Go to doctorsthatdo.org and find your neatest DOs, and try calling or emailing them to see if you can shadow which eventually might lead them to write you a letter. Last year (around September) that's exactly what I did. I only shadowed that doctor for two days, and she agreed to write me a letter, and keep in mind my app was already submitted lol. I ended up with 12 IIs (or more I can't even keep count anymore lol), attended 5 of them, and got 2 acceptances.

I will be applying exclusively DO this next cycle no matter what. An MD letter will be easier for me to obtain than a DO right now so my question was which schools will under no circumstance not accept an MD letter.

I will be applying exclusively DO this next cycle no matter what. An MD letter will be easier for me to obtain than a DO right now so my question was which schools will under no circumstance not accept an MD letter.
Most of them will accept an MD letter, only a handful only accepts DO's. The schools list their requirements on AACOMAS, so when going through your primary app, I'm sure you will be able to spot them easily. But also, keep in mind that most of the ones that do accept MD letters will also say that they prefer DO letters which is one of the reasons why I suggested going to the website doctorsthatdo.org to find a DO near you. Another reason is when going through the secondary applications and even in interviews you will likely find questions asking about your experiences with Osteopathic Medicine and/or shadowing a DO. Those might be difficult to answer if you don't have that experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A list I gathered from a quick search: ARCOM, LECOM, LUCOM, OSU-COM, UP-KYCOM, VCOM, WVSOM.

As you can see most of the others prefer DO over MD, but will still accept MD.
Screenshot_20180408-032336_Dropbox.jpg

Definitely put your best application forward the first time. Can you imagine an adcom constantly reviewing and rereviewing an application everytime something gets added? Don't think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
A list I gathered from a quick search: ARCOM, LECOM, LUCOM, OSU-COM, UP-KYCOM, VCOM, WVSOM.

As you can see most of the others prefer DO over MD, but will still accept MD.View attachment 231650

I applied LECOM with no DO letter and was accepted.

So-so

Okay so MD is pretty much out of the question (no offense). If you're set on applying this cycle then I would really suggest shadowing a DO and getting that letter. With your stats, you're already borderline for DO interviews and shouldn't be rolling the dice by only applying to school that don't require a DO letter. Obviously your MCAT needs to be your number 1 priority right now, but even if you could shadow for a few hours, you can probably get a letter by the time your app is complete.

Okay so MD is pretty much out of the question (no offense). If you're set on applying this cycle then I would really suggest shadowing a DO and getting that letter. With your stats, you're already borderline for DO interviews and shouldn't be rolling the dice by only applying to school that don't require a DO letter. Obviously your MCAT needs to be your number 1 priority right now, but even if you could shadow for a few hours, you can probably get a letter by the time your app is complete.

MD has not even been a thought in years. Funny enough, my sGPA is higher for AMCAS though because of math being factored into the sGPA. When AACOMAS dropped grade replacement, my sGPA did too unfortunately.

I am banking on a 502-504 for this next MCAT and applying very broadly and realistically, I completely agree that it is lethal right now even for DO.

I have visited my local DO school numerous times to the point where I have volunteered at several of their events and on a first name basis with some of the staff, I am loading my chips onto them.

My family doc is a DO, I'm going to see him in a couple weeks and tell him point blank I need help. I did that last year but his office never replied to me about shadowing him.

I think the strongest point of my app is going to be my ECs and story (kinda interesting I think). I know that alone is not enough but I also know I have what it takes to be a doctor and will never give up.

Last edited:
THIS is what I have been looking for! Thank you!
You're welcome. But try really hard to get that DO letter though even if it's like September and your app is already submitted like I did last year, and aim at a 505+ for your MCAT.

You're welcome. But try really hard to get that DO letter though even if it's like September and your app is already submitted like I did last year, and aim at a 505+ for your MCAT.

Agreed.

I have the resources around me right now but there is always something in the way. The clinical director of the hospital department I work at (which is a more top tier institution) is a DO, problem is he is ALWAYS doing more administrative work rather than clinical work where I could work alongside him.

Above I also described the issue with my family doc.

Agreed.

I have the resources around me right now but there is always something in the way. The clinical director of the hospital department I work at (which is a more top tier institution) is a DO, problem is he is ALWAYS doing more administrative work rather than clinical work where I could work alongside him.

Just in case your family doc or the clinical director don't come through, don't forget to visit doctorsthatdo.org. They have the list of all the AOA board certified DOs in there with their contact information and location. All you'll have to do is "harassing" them for a little bit, and hope one of them accept to let you shadow. You're welcome again lol.

Thanks so much everyone. I have been pre-med longer than anyone I know (7 years) I cannot tell you how man setbacks I have endured which is why at this point, I will not quit.

Thanks so much everyone. I have been pre-med longer than anyone I know (7 years) I cannot tell you how man setbacks I have endured which is why at this point, I will not quit.
Good way to go about it! I didn't give up either after that first rejection year

Agreed.

Definitely try and get a DO letter. Every interview I went to asked about experience with osteopathic medicine. Some had optional questions in their II, but my opinion is that nothing is 'optional' so having something substantive to discuss there was good as well. Good luck with your MCAT!

I'd also recommend looking through local health system websites to find a DO - I just checked out that doctorsthatdo.org website out of curiosity and it's super limited. None of the DOs I work with are on there, and I can think of at least six DOs off the top of my head that I'm aware of in a variety of specialties who definitely work in my city. I don't know what the criteria is for being on that website, but clearly hardly anyone is on it.

My local health system, when you do the provider search, clearly states who's DO vs. MD vs. NP vs. PA. I'm thinking you could find way more DOs to contact that way.

The above posters make excellent points. There were several secondaries that asked about "your experience with osteopathic medicine." At least shadow one.

I did shadow a practice that was filled with DOs back in 2013 (like I said I've been doing this for a loooong time) and saw one of them whip out some OMM on a patient who was recovering from a car accident and it was pretty bad ass! Far too long ago to ask for a letter now.

Everyone has convinced me, I am definitely going for a DO letter.