Schools that accept Biochem instead of Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspeedwagon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have seen this question was asked a few years ago, but there was no final answer in the thread.

Is there a comprehensive list of schools (M.D. / D.O.) that will accept a semester of biochemistry in lieu of a second semester of organic chemistry? If someone has contacted a school and knows that they are likely to accept this, please list the school as I'd appreciate this information.

I'm a non-traditional applicant and have the following classes left to take (besides Organic Chem II): General Chem II, Physics I and II. I work full-time and travel every week for work so I have a hard time taking more than one class at a time (especially with a lab), but may be able to fit three classes in over two semesters.

I have already taken a semester of Organic Chem (with lab) and a semester of Biochemistry (this was without lab, but I can take a lab if needed).

I plan to prioritize applying to schools that will accept biochemistry in place or Organic Chem II for the Fall of 2011. If I'm unsuccessful, I then plan to take the Organic Chem II to increase the number schools I can apply to for the Fall of 2012.

As I'm already a non-traditional applicant and older, I'd like to avoid waiting another year (if at all possible).

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority of schools allow you complete your prereqs after application. Even if you apply Fall 2011 you can take Organic II in the Spring and still have it count for the schools that need it.

I think NYMC allows you to take one semester of biochem (with lab!) in place of ochem II.

Members don't see this ad :)
UVa also allows the substitution.

i think most of the schools i applied to take biochem instead of orgo 2.

honestly though i do feel like a list like this would be useful. i tried to find one as well and I couldn't find a concise list anywhere. maybe we can compile one?

off the top of my head i am sure these schools are ok with it- uic, rush, loyola, rochester, errr. ok i am drawing a total blank, i might have to come back to this thread later.

i am interviewing at MCW soon and i actually dont know whether they accept it or not. my basic plan is if i decide to go somewhere that does require it, i will take it in spring. still though it would be nice if i could avoid it since i am done with my classes besides that.

a school that i know for sure does NOT let you replace orgo 2- vanderbilt

Harvard accepts biochem in lieu of orgo II.

What would be the advantage of taking Biochem instead of Ochem 2? I mean, wouldn't this have a significant effect on your MCAT scores?

Or how important is Ochem 2 when it comes to actually doing well on the MCAT ochem based problems?

Eddie

The last third of my orgo 2 class was biochem. I don't think not taking orgo 2 before the MCAT is such a bid deal. I do suggest all the other prereqs, and Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2.

What would be the advantage of taking Biochem instead of Ochem 2? I mean, wouldn't this have a significant effect on your MCAT scores?

Or how important is Ochem 2 when it comes to actually doing well on the MCAT ochem based problems?

Eddie

It depends on how your orgo courses are organized. If your orgo II covers any carbonyl chemistry (e.g. carboxy derivatives or aldol condensations etc.) and you decide not to take it, you will have to work very hard to make up for it for the mcat. You don't need aromatics or modern C--C bond synthesis for the mcat.

Thank you for the list. I should have mentioned that I already contacted or am aware that these schools take the substitution:
Havard, Georgetown, NYMC, Touro (osteopathic), Kansas City (osteopathic). Thank you for the additions beyond this. I'm compiling a list that I will share for future students.

For those that suggested state schools, I'm a CA state resident (my parents are MA residents) and the state schools here won't accept the substituion. I don't know what my shot at other state schools will be as an out of state resident.

I definitely plan to apply to NYMC (my girlfriend is a second year medical student at SUNY Upstate) and am also considering Touro (since they have a campus in CA). I hope to be able to have a list of 10 - 15 schools.

To the person who asked about the MCAT and organic chem II; I personally think it is a waste of time as on practice tests I'm doing ok (schools would not allow you to substitute it if they thought it was needed). I, however, am aiming for a 30 or higher cumilative with about a 10 on each section. If you are aiming for a 13+ it might be very helpful however.

Last edited:

Eddie

i was nontrad so i was taking prereqs simultaneously with grad school courses. so i actually took biochem before orgo. hence, i didnt want to take orgo 2 if i didnt need to.

obviously if you have the time and interest, it would surely help your mcat the most to take both. but doing it the way i did is definitely not a disadvantage- i got a 14 in BS. i used EK to fill in my organic chem gaps on NMR and stuff. i think it worked. :) and the biochem was very useful.

I thought ochem 1 and 2 were pre reqs for bio chemm

Hey Guys!

So this is the class description for ochem 1 & 2 at my school. 128A is 1 and 128B, but it doesnt give a description of any in particular..hmmm

CHEM 128A-B. Organic Chemistry (3-3)
For chemistry majors; recommended for premedical students and other science majors. CHEM 128A not open for credit to students with credit in CHEM 8. Prerequisites: CHEM 1B with a grade of C or better or permission of instructor; for CHEM 128B: CHEM 128A with a grade of C or better. Introduction to structure and reactivity of principal classes of organic compounds with emphasis on theory and mechanism. FS

BIOCHEM 1

CHEM 155. Fundamentals of Biochemistry (3)
Primarily for chemistry majors; recommended for premedical students and graduate students in the sciences. Prerequisite: CHEM 128B. (CHEM 155 and 153 together con-stitute a year sequence.) Structure, function, and metabolism of chemical entities in living systems.

THIS WOULD BE THE SECOND SEMESTER...

CHEM 153. Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism (3)
Prerequisite: CHEM 150 or 155. Continuation of CHEM 150 or 155. Intensive discussion of the degradation and biosynthesis of major cellular constituents; energy metabolism; control of metabolic processes and pathological implications in mammalian systems. (Spring semester)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you take organic I without gen chem II...?

I have read the FAQs for admissions at a bunch of different schools and a common theme that pops up when people ask about making substitutions is (paraphrase) "if you have followed your school's premedical curriculum, we will accept your classes."

If biochemistry if part of your school's premed track rather than organic chemistry II, then I think you're okay, if not then I'd go by what the previous posts have said about specific schools that allow it.

To the persons above that asked "how did I take organic chem without gen chem II" and about "orgo I and II being pre-req for biochem" these are both very dependent on the school you are at.

At my undergrad, the sequence is set-up so you take one semester of general chem, two semester of organic chem and then your last semester of general chem. Taking biochem without organic chem is hard, but not impossible. Biochem is a ton of memorization. The school I took biochem at (different from my undergrad) strongly suggested organic chem, but did not require it.

Again, if any one has any more schools, please let me know. I'm working on contacting schools slowly and compiling a list.

Thank you.

I have read the FAQs for admissions at a bunch of different schools and a common theme that pops up when people ask about making substitutions is (paraphrase) "if you have followed your school's premedical curriculum, we will accept your classes."

If biochemistry if part of your school's premed track rather than organic chemistry II, then I think you're okay, if not then I'd go by what the previous posts have said about specific schools that allow it.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone ever did come across a list of schools that would take biochem instead of orgo II.

For some reason, I was always under the impression that the vast majority of schools allowed the substitution and so, I never took orgo II and am graduating in a week. I took orgo I w/ lab (total 5 credits) and biochemistry (3 credits), since biochem is required for my major anyways.

If anyone knows about which schools allow the substitution, etc, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Contact schools you are interested in individually. I was unable to find many that would accept it in CA (where my gf and I would like to be (if she can match her for residency)). I decided to hold-off and apply for the Fall of 2012 after taking Orgo II (I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear).

I compiled a list based on this thread, but found a few other schools would accept it or would allow you to take it after you are accepted but before matriculation (the latter was the case with most). Also, many schools have changed their requirement. DMU for example used to allow this, but now requires biochem instead of o-chem II.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone ever did come across a list of schools that would take biochem instead of orgo II.

For some reason, I was always under the impression that the vast majority of schools allowed the substitution and so, I never took orgo II and am graduating in a week. I took orgo I w/ lab (total 5 credits) and biochemistry (3 credits), since biochem is required for my major anyways.

If anyone knows about which schools allow the substitution, etc, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wait a minute. My school only offers one orgo class, a part two is non-existent.

As premeds, the track we're supposed to follow is orgo -> bio-organic -> biochem. Should I be worried?

I don't think so. It sounds to me like this is the equivalent of two semesters of organic and one of biochem. Bio-organic probably covers a lot of orgo II topics. You can compare the topics to the second language books. As long as those topics are covered somewhere in the sequence, you'll be fine.

Wait a minute. My school only offers one orgo class, a part two is non-existent.

As premeds, the track we're supposed to follow is orgo -> bio-organic -> biochem. Should I be worried?

You need to contact the schools you are wondering about individually and ask them. I think a lot of them make the determination on a case by case basis. I had asked a few and they wanted to know what schools the classes were taken at and also wanted to know the course descriptions, then they offered an answer.

I strongly suggest you just take O CHEM II in the summer.
It's actually a really neat class...not too hard...it's interesting.

Does anyone know if NYCOM accepts biochem instead of orgo II?

To the person who asked about the MCAT and organic chem II; I personally think it is a waste of time as on practice tests I'm doing ok (schools would not allow you to substitute it if they thought it was needed). I, however, am aiming for a 30 or higher cumilative with about a 10 on each section. If you are aiming for a 13+ it might be very helpful however.

Keep on doing what you're doing. :thumbup: I took the MCAT before taking Organic II and got a 14 in BS. The AAMC is really decreasing the amount of organic in that section..

Last edited: