Schools that are non-traditional friendly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lashaeot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, love this site, i've been logging on for months now, just decided to join. My question is............Does anyone know of Medical Schools that are Non Traditional Student friendly? I've heard that Temple University fits this mold. Are their any others?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, love this site, i've been logging on for months now, just decided to join. My question is............Does anyone know of Medical Schools that are Non Traditional Student friendly? I've heard that Temple University fits this mold. Are their any others?

You are not even close to the first one to ask this question, you should be able to find many threads on this.

But as I've said in many of them ALL med schools will have some nontrad matriculants, so I wouldn't focus your apps to a handful of schools based on some anecdotal perception that one or two schools take more. And every nontrad on SDN apparently applies to the handful of schools touted on here as nontrad friendly, making nontrad slots at such schools more, not less competitive to get as a nontrad. (schools are going to take some nontrads for diversity reasons, but won't take a whole class of them as that eliminates the diversity value). Bottom line is, if you are a competitive applicant, any med school will take a look at you.

Hi there,
There are no medical schools in this country that will not take a well-qualified, competitive non-traditional applicant. Put forth the best can most competitive application that you can and apply to schools that you would be interested in attending and schools where you would be a good fit.

njbmd:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Most medical schools could fill their entire class with students who have a 3.8+ GPA and 33+ on the MCAT.....but that would be boring. Intstead, it's incubment upon the admissions committee to select candidates spanning a cross-section of society (includes nontrads). My reach school was my first acceptance and my so-called safety school didn't interview me. I applied widely, and so I was fine. Apply widely and you'll be fine, too.

Thanks for the insight guys. It's good to know that it doesn't matter if all else fits in place.

I agree that any medical school will consider a non-trad who is well-qualified. I am NOT suggesting that the following schools are the only ones that will welcome non-trads, but I remember feeling frustrated at the lack of information regarding this issue when I applied. So, I'm going to go ahead and name some specific schools with which I had personal experience that seemed to go out of their way to make non-trads feel more comfortable--YMMV, but these are my subjective impressions:

- Pitt and Case either had events specifically for partners/spouses/SOs at their Second Look Weekends or SOs were encouraged to attend certain portions of the events. My spouse went to both with me, and really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the organizers and the chance to meet other SOs of current and prospective med students. It also seemed that there was a larger-than-usual number of other non-trads at these events (especially at Case). The most "senior" ;) non-trad I met was a 42-year-old. :)

- UIC and Rush allowed you to bring a guest to their Second Looks, even though there weren't specific events set aside for SOs. This also gives SOs a chance to gain some insight about the school and feel like they're more a part of the experience (though not as much as the above opportunity). There were a few non-trads at UIC's Second Look (I didn't attend Rush's), and from talking with a recent former non-trad at UIC, there are a fair number of non-trads there, especially in their 30's, some with kids (or had them during med school).

- At my Rush, Northwestern, Pitt, and Case interviews, I was explicitly told that being non-traditional was a plus or that they believed that my extra life experiences were positive, etc. (of course, that is NOT to say that this "makes up" for non-competitive scores/grades/ECs/LORs, etc.). Perhaps I was just lucky with my interviewers at these places, but I must admit that it did give me a much warmer feeling about these schools.

- Other random info: from their websites, Case states that ~10% of its students start med school at 30+ years of age, and Northwestern says that they have a special interest group dedicated to non-traditionals. Creighton explicitly said in the 2005-2006 MSAR that "not only is ethnic diversity encouraged, but Creighton considers the non-traditional applicant to be a positive influence on the school and its students."

- You can also search for the average age at matriculation for different schools--those with slightly higher averages probably have more non-trads. You can't really get a feel for whether most of the non-trads are 25 years old or there are just a couple at 40+ years old, but it's a crude indicator.

Hope this helps someone! I wouldn't limit my applications to schools that I heard might be "non-trad friendly," but sometimes this info can help you decide where you might be a good "fit"! Good luck to all those applying this cycle! :luck:

I want to fourth (I think?) what the others have said that all schools will look at competitive nontrads. That being said, I do agree with thebrownnote that certain schools just have a more non-trad friendly atmosphere to them, and I think that makes for a better social life and overall experience for non-trads. I will second the notion that nontrads are very visible at both Pitt and Case. Pitt even has an "old farts club" for the over 30 students. Case does brag that 10% of their students are over age 30. Other schools that seem to have a significant group of non-trads to me are U Mich, Baylor, U Miami, U Chicago, UAB, and USF. Of course, if you're not a Floridian, don't waste your time applying to USF. But if you are, I think it is THE most non-trad friendly school I visited.

I got the opposite impression at several other schools (i.e., that I'd be the only person there over age 30), including UF, Duke, Penn, Vanderbilt, and Wash U. But some of the schools in this category still accepted me anyway, so again, if you want to go to a "young" school, you should definitely go for it. You are a unique applicant, and you can't rationally base your application decisions on how other older applicants have fared solely based upon age. Best of luck to you. :)

I don't think you qualify as your "standard non-traditional student". More like the non-traditional genius. And with your credentials and personality I don't see any schools in the planet that won't offer an acceptance. Well, they will be stupid not to.

I want to fourth (I think?) what the others have said that all schools will look at competitive nontrads. That being said, I do agree with thebrownnote that certain schools just have a more non-trad friendly atmosphere to them, and I think that makes for a better social life and overall experience for non-trads. I will second the notion that nontrads are very visible at both Pitt and Case. Pitt even has an "old farts club" for the over 30 students. Case does brag that 10% of their students are over age 30. Other schools that seem to have a significant group of non-trads to me are U Mich, Baylor, U Miami, U Chicago, UAB, and USF. Of course, if you're not a Floridian, don't waste your time applying to USF. But if you are, I think it is THE most non-trad friendly school I visited.

I got the opposite impression at several other schools (i.e., that I'd be the only person there over age 30), including UF, Duke, Penn, Vanderbilt, and Wash U. But some of the schools in this category still accepted me anyway, so again, if you want to go to a "young" school, you should definitely go for it. You are a unique applicant, and you can't rationally base your application decisions on how other older applicants have fared solely based upon age. Best of luck to you. :)

I got the opposite impression at several other schools (i.e., that I'd be the only person there over age 30), including UF, Duke, Penn, Vanderbilt, and Wash U. But some of the schools in this category still accepted me anyway,

If a school is receptive to applicants over 30, they are by my definition adequately "nontrad friendly", even if you'd be the only one. So by this definition, there are probably another 120 besides the ones you listed. There's no rule that says all the old-timers in a class are going to be friends anyhow, and you might be hanging with 20 year olds either way.

I don't think you qualify as your "standard non-traditional student". More like the non-traditional genius. And with your credentials and personality I don't see any schools in the planet that won't offer an acceptance. Well, they will be stupid not to.
:laugh: :oops: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but you'd be completely mistaken. Some of my rejections were even pre-secondary. I'm not exactly sure there is such a thing as a "standard" non-trad student anyway....doesn't the fact that we are non-trads inherently mean that we are all NOT standard students? :idea:

Law2Doc said:
If a school is receptive to applicants over 30, they are by my definition adequately "nontrad friendly", even if you'd be the only one. So by this definition, there are probably another 120 besides the ones you listed. There's no rule that says all the old-timers in a class are going to be friends anyhow, and you might be hanging with 20 year olds either way.
Well, then, we have different ideas of what it means for a school to be "non-trad friendly." Getting accepted to a school doesn't mean that you will fit in; to me, what you are describing merely means that the school is not non-trad UNfriendly. But neutrality isn't the same as friendliness. Admittedly this issue is somewhat subjective, but I will argue that there is a huge difference in the "feel" of various schools. And it can't be denied that although no school outright discriminates against non-trads, some schools go out of their way to recruit non-trads and make them feel welcome as a matter of policy.

The fact that thebrownnote and I both picked up on a friendly vibe at Pitt and Case is a good example of what I'm talking about. Why did we both mention those two schools in particular? Because they are schools where when the people there hear that you are over age 30, they are EXCITED about it. Schools like those two that *I* call non-trad friendly do things like put you in touch with current non-trad students, tell you about accomodations they have in place for older students, and generally go out of their way to let you know that they value the contributions of older students. You get the feeling that they think non-trads are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even the trad students go out of their way to tell you how much they think having non-trad classmates adds to their learning experience. This is in huge contrast to other schools where I had interviewers grill me about how I would handle being ten years older than my classmates, current students comment to me that no students over age 30 were in their class or worse, current students who wanted to know why a student over 30 would even WANT to go to med school. At those schools, there was no mechanism in place to convince older students that this is a school that really wants them to come. Could I have attended a school like that? Sure. People weren't actively hostile toward me at even the youngest schools. But why would I want to? I'm definitely of the philosophy that you should love someone who loves you, not someone who just isn't unfriendly toward you. :)

As for the issue of whom you will hang out with, no, of course there is no guarantee that any particular person will become a close friend. But that's why it's nice to have a whole group of older students instead of just you and maybe one other person that you could wind up not caring for. ;)

:laugh: :oops: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but you'd be completely mistaken. Some of my rejections were even pre-secondary. I'm not exactly sure there is such a thing as a "standard" non-trad student anyway....doesn't the fact that we are non-trads inherently mean that we are all NOT standard students? :idea:

Well, then, we have different ideas of what it means for a school to be "non-trad friendly." Getting accepted to a school doesn't mean that you will fit in; to me, what you are describing merely means that the school is not non-trad UNfriendly. But neutrality isn't the same as friendliness. Admittedly this issue is somewhat subjective, but I will argue that there is a huge difference in the "feel" of various schools. And it can't be denied that although no school outright discriminates against non-trads, some schools go out of their way to recruit non-trads and make them feel welcome as a matter of policy.

The fact that thebrownnote and I both picked up on a friendly vibe at Pitt and Case is a good example of what I'm talking about. Why did we both mention those two schools in particular? Because they are schools where when the people there hear that you are over age 30, they are EXCITED about it. Schools like those two that *I* call non-trad friendly do things like put you in touch with current non-trad students, tell you about accomodations they have in place for older students, and generally go out of their way to let you know that they value the contributions of older students. You get the feeling that they think non-trads are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even the trad students go out of their way to tell you how much they think having non-trad classmates adds to their learning experience. This is in huge contrast to other schools where I had interviewers grill me about how I would handle being ten years older than my classmates, current students comment to me that no students over age 30 were in their class or worse, current students who wanted to know why a student over 30 would even WANT to go to med school. At those schools, there was no mechanism in place to convince older students that this is a school that really wants them to come. Could I have attended a school like that? Sure. People weren't actively hostile toward me at even the youngest schools. But why would I want to? I'm definitely of the philosophy that you should love someone who loves you, not someone who just isn't unfriendly toward you. :)

As for the issue of whom you will hang out with, no, of course there is no guarantee that any particular person will become a close friend. But that's why it's nice to have a whole group of older students instead of just you and maybe one other person that you could wind up not caring for. ;)

When folks ask about nontrad friendly in the context of these boards, even before having applied, I generally take it as a given that they are looking to find the best chance to get in someplace. So yes, we are defining it different. Many would agree that a school that invites them to attend is being downright friendly.

As for the lack of "mechanism in place" for embracing nontrads at the various schools, I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. Interviewers grilling you on whether you have thought this path through, and the consequences of being older is not really a negative -- they are supposed to do that -- and to some extent are doing you a disservice if they don't make sure you know what you are doing. Not everyone along this career path will be welcoming, but certainly an interviewer and classmates asking you why you are doing what you are doing does not really constitute being unfriendly.
Students will be a mixure of welcoming and cliquey anyplace, and to some extent some of the other nontrads are often going to be just as hard to mesh with.

Schools are happy to have a diverse class, but once you are in, there is certainly some degree of throwing you into the vast pond of traditional students and seeing if you sink or swim. Which is fine --with the right attitude and personality, this can be a friendly pond, and most of the younger crowd surprisingly welcoming. We are not talking "lord of the flies" socialization issues at any school.:)

And even by your theory of nontrad friendly schools, someone has to bite the bullet and be the trailblazer at each school, or the same two or three schools will be the only ones ever to meet your definition of friendly.

When folks ask about nontrad friendly in the context of these boards, even before having applied, I generally take it as a given that they are looking to find the best chance to get in someplace. So yes, we are defining it different. Many would agree that a school that invites them to attend is being downright friendly.
I can't speak to what other people mean when they say that a school is "friendly" to non-trads. Maybe you are right that most people, including the OP, want to ask where they have the greatest chance of getting accepted....using that definition, I'd change my answer to say that the most "non-trad friendly" schools are your state schools. :)

As for the lack of "mechanism in place" for embracing nontrads at the various schools, I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. Interviewers grilling you on whether you have thought this path through, and the consequences of being older is not really a negative -- they are supposed to do that -- and to some extent are doing you a disservice if they don't make sure you know what you are doing. Not everyone along this career path will be welcoming, but certainly an interviewer and classmates asking you why you are doing what you are doing does not really constitute being unfriendly.
Counselor, you no doubt know the difference between questioning someone to see where they stand and haranging the witness. So do I. ;)

Students will be a mixure of welcoming and cliquey anyplace, and to some extent some of the other nontrads are often going to be just as hard to mesh with.

Schools are happy to have a diverse class, but once you are in, there is certainly some degree of throwing you into the vast pond of traditional students and seeing if you sink or swim. Which is fine --with the right attitude and personality, this can be a friendly pond, and most of the younger crowd surprisingly welcoming. We are not talking "lord of the flies" socialization issues at any school.:)
Maybe at some schools, but that hasn't been my experience. It seems to me that at most places the non-trads tended to hone in on each other like we all had beacons. Not that older students only hang out with other older students; I don't mean to suggest that at all. My trad classmates are on the whole very friendly, and I'm sure yours are too. But it's still nice to have some classmates at the same stage in life that you are.

And even by your theory of nontrad friendly schools, someone has to bite the bullet and be the trailblazer at each school, or the same two or three schools will be the only ones ever to meet your definition of friendly.
True. But there's no rule saying that it has to be me. :)

Great post, Q!:thumbup:

Having recently been a "summer med student", I can say that from day 1, those of us with mortages, babies, life experience, ect naturally gravitated toward each other. And honestly, it was nice to not only have people with whom I could relate personally, but to study with as well. The nontrads were all about hitting the books ASAP, right after class. The trads seemed to take it in stride that they could study later, during which time we nontrads would be doing things with our families.

IMHO, med school is NOT the place to be "blazing new trails"!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
True. But there's no rule saying that it has to be me. :)

It doesn't have to be you, YET, but it has to be you sometime. You are going to be working with, and for, colleagues significantly younger than you your whole career.

And by having threads over and over again saying that XYZ and PDQ schools are the only ones that are nice to nontrads, you perhaps discourage other folks from being the pioneers. And from my own experience, you aren't even exactly fair about how nontrads are received at some of these other places.

Being a nontrad is not about "playing it safe". If we played it safe, we wouldn't be here. Playing it safe closes a lot of doors.

Great post, Q!:thumbup:

Having recently been a "summer med student", I can say that from day 1, those of us with mortages, babies, life experience, ect naturally gravitated toward each other. And honestly, it was nice to not only have people with whom I could relate personally, but to study with as well. The nontrads were all about hitting the books ASAP, right after class. The trads seemed to take it in stride that they could study later, during which time we nontrads would be doing things with our families.

IMHO, med school is NOT the place to be "blazing new trails"!!!

What about the nontrads who didn't have babies and mortgages? I feel like sort of oddball in the nontrad world because I moved to a new city to go to medical school, so it's not like I'm established here and have a house. And, the big thing -- I've got no kids. Consequently, I don't really relate to the super non-traditional students, but am way older than the traditional students. I'm starting to think that's the way of the world, though, in any environment. If you're 30 or older and childless, you're always on the outside. :( So for me, I'd doubt there would be any perfect nontrad school.

Anyway, I think my classmates are sort of charming with their worries about being old at 23 or having children before they're 30. I feel old, but not in a bad way. I've got the benefit of (some) wisdom without the wrinkles. :)

To get to the original point, I think Law2Doc is correct that a nontraditional student could be happy, productive and successful at most schools, not just those that are deemed to be nontrad friendly. As a student at a school where the average age is 23 (I think -- it might be 22?), I can say that people have been generally nice and accepting. There are also still plenty of students who don't fit the really traditional mold (I'm thinking this is true at every school), so it's not like you're the lone person who's skipping the toga party.

It doesn't have to be you, YET, but it has to be you sometime. You are going to be working with, and for, colleagues significantly younger than you your whole career.
Age differences mean less and less as you get older. I find that in general I tend to have a lot more in common with someone twenty years older than I am (early 50s) than I do with many people who are only ten years younger (early 20s). Nowadays I even find that sometimes I actually understand where my PARENTS are coming from....if you can imagine! :p

And by having threads over and over again saying that XYZ and PDQ schools are the only ones that are nice to nontrads, you perhaps discourage other folks from being the pioneers. And from my own experience, you aren't even exactly fair about how nontrads are received at some of these other places.
For the record, and to assuage Law2Doc's concern, my posts should not in any way, shape, or form be construed to mean that I am suggesting that any schools are systematically not "nice" to non-trads. I am simply posting my own personal experiences about schools that I personally felt were nice to me, an applicant/matriculant who happens to be a non-trad.

Ok, so legal disclaimer out of the way, I disagree that I have been unfair. I did NOT say at any point that XYZ schools are "the only ones that are nice to non-trads." I DID share my own experiences at various schools, however. Your specific experiences are also valid to share with the group as anecdotal evidence if you choose to do so (which I must point out you have NOT chosen to do), but so are mine (and I *have* put them out there). My purpose in posting as I have (and sparring with you) is to share my experiences with the thought that they could be of value to someone else. You should give the readers here more credit than you do. I seriously doubt that anyone thinks for one moment that I am the definitive source of information on all things about medical school, and I readily admit that I am not some kind of non-trad guru who can show anyone else the right path to take in life. Nor am I egotistical enough to think that anyone here would base a decision as important as choosing a medical school solely on what I, a random stranger on the internet, have to say about them. Other people are not idiots, and I am not so powerful that I can force them to do anything they don't want to do, Law2Doc. Neither are you. Again, my statements are my personal opinions and experiences, and each reader is free to take them for what s/he thinks they are worth. :)

Being a nontrad is not about "playing it safe". If we played it safe, we wouldn't be here. Playing it safe closes a lot of doors.
This is a difficult statement for me to respond to on several levels. I would agree with you that there is no such a thing as playing it safe as a non-trad, and I don't think that anything I've said should be construed to mean that I am advocating playing it safe. On the other hand, I want to enjoy my medical school years as much as possible. When I was making my decision about which school to attend, I had a very specific set of criteria, as I am sure all of us do. One thing that I came to realize was important to me, along with the usual considerations like curriculum features, financial aid, location, etc. was the makeup of the student body. I visited seventeen schools, and I tried to have as open of a mind as possible at each one. I took copious notes about my experience at each school and I revisited several of them. I would say that I "fell in love" with at least half the schools, and liked all of the others to various degrees. There was certainly no school where I visited and felt that no way under any circumstances would I ever agree to go here.

That being said, when it came time to make the decision about where to spend the next four years of my life, I knew that I wanted to be somewhere where I would be around other people who are older. This is in keeping with my own personal values and preferences. So it may not be very relevant to you personally that there be classmates over age 30, but it was something that I came to realize DID matter to me after visiting various schools where there were and were not a lot of older students. And I suspect that as 1path's post suggests, this is something that matters to a significant proportion of other non-trads as well. Again, this is why I offer my experiences for others to take into account if they wish.

exlawgrrl said:
What about the nontrads who didn't have babies and mortgages? I feel like sort of oddball in the nontrad world because I moved to a new city to go to medical school, so it's not like I'm established here and have a house. And, the big thing -- I've got no kids. Consequently, I don't really relate to the super non-traditional students, but am way older than the traditional students. I'm starting to think that's the way of the world, though, in any environment. If you're 30 or older and childless, you're always on the outside. So for me, I'd doubt there would be any perfect nontrad school.
Moving to a new city is always difficult because of that aspect of having to start over. Again, this was why it mattered to me to have other older students around. I have met several med students who are single, over age 30, and do not have houses or kids, as I myself do not. I also became friendly with some single faculty members, grad students, and post docs over the summer before classes started.

What about the nontrads who didn't have babies and mortgages?.
Then you'd fit into the nontrad with "life experiecne" category!:) I was the only parent in my study group, the oldest, but had no "social issues" associating with the other nontrads who were at different levels of nontradness!

Having said that, I didn't have a problem associating with the trads either and the so called "gap in experiecnes" turned out to be more a fignet of my imagination than based on any instances of feeling like the "odd man out". It seems to be that med school for EVERYONE is about learning the material, passing the class, and moving onto the next academic hurdle but having others I can relate on some level to beyond school was/is still a little important too! Just not as big a deal as I thought it would be.

Now to answer the OP's question, GW would definitely qualify as nontrad "friendly".

Having said that, I didn't have a problem associating with the trads either and the so called "gap in experiecnes" turned out to be more a fignet of my imagination than based on any instances of feeling like the "odd man out". It seems to be that med school for EVERYONE is about learning the material, passing the class, and moving onto the next academic hurdle but ...

While I respect Q and 1Path's positions, I continue to feel that nontrads can fare better in the sea of trads than is being suggested, for the reason suggested in the excerpt from 1Path above (give or take the spelling of figment:D ). Everyone is finding their way in med school, and the class is far more inclusive to nontrads than might be anticipated. For those of us okay without having many similarly situated peers in school, you can thrive at better than a hundred other schools in addition to those which have been mentioned thus far in this thread. They won't baby you or treat you special as a nontrad, or pair you up with similarly situated friends, but they will consider your application, may accept you, and then will work with you to make you a solid physician. To me that is nontrad friendly enough, and really all that I was looking for in this adventure. Good luck all.

While I respect Q and 1Path's positions, I continue to feel that nontrads can fare better in the sea of trads than is being suggested, for the reason suggested in the excerpt from 1Path above (give or take the spelling of figment:D ). Everyone is finding their way in med school, and the class is far more inclusive to nontrads than might be anticipated. For those of us okay without having many similarly situated peers in school, you can thrive at better than a hundred other schools in addition to those which have been mentioned thus far in this thread. They won't baby you or treat you special as a nontrad, or pair you up with similarly situated friends, but they will consider your application, may accept you, and then will work with you to make you a solid physician. To me that is nontrad friendly enough, and really all that I was looking for in this adventure. Good luck all.
I agree that non-trads can be successful and happy at any school. I hope you didn't take my argumentativeness to imply any lack of respect for you or your position, Law2Doc; you are one of my favorite SDNers. :) If nothing else, this exercise in defining our terms was helpful, because it allowed us to realize that we were talking about different things and we wanted different things out of our medical school experience. I think we can sum up the following as our mutual points of agreement:

1) Any school in the country will take a look at a competitive non-trad applicant who meets their admissions criteria (including state residency). No school anywhere in the country systematically discriminates against non-trads, and there is no school that non-trads should "steer clear of" or otherwise avoid because they don't take non-trads.

2) No school in the country has a majority of non-trads, but some schools have a higher proportion of non-trads in their classes than others. Some people care about this and want to be in a class with more non-trads, so they will seek out such schools. Others don't care as much. In any case, non-trads can be happy and successful at a variety of schools, including schools with few other non-trads.

3) The phrase "non-trad friendly" probably has as many different definitions as there are non-trads. Depending on how you define the term and what you are looking for in a medical school, your criteria for choosing where to apply and matriculate will be different than other people who are looking for something else.

Do not be fooled by the assumption that IF the school has "more" non-trads that it will hence be a more "friendly" environment to other non-trads. You make your own path and forge your own friendships with trads OR non-trads. My school is non-trad friendly in that every class has about 20-40% of students "older" and those that are not older but have more life experience. I have found myself actually making friends with trads so go figure. So apply to whatever schools you need to and do NOT worry about what the average age is and all that. You will find that MY perception of X school will be different than yours...and what to me may seem friendly or not, to you might be the opposite. Do not limit yourself. Good luck.

I can vouch for Case and Pitt because those are the only schools I have interviews from right now. My suggestion is to apply to as many schools as you can afford to and worry about whether you will want to go there later. You might only get in one place and you have to take what you can get in this game.

KU goes out of their way to make sure at least a few non-trads are in the mix. I'd imagine it's the same with most schools: one of their primary goals is diversity in the student body, and "diversity" means more than race.

For the same reason, having a non-biology-related undergrad major can be a good thing.

While Q and Law have an interesting discussion - let me respond to the OP (snicker).

I am a non-trad at Loyola, and there are quite a few of us here. The school is amazingly supportive and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it here! It is just awesome. Talk to any student here, and for the most part, you will find a cheerleader beaming from ear to ear about how much we love it here. We almost look cult like we are so happy. This place rocks. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

for the reason suggested in the excerpt from 1Path above (give or take the spelling of figment:D ). .
SDN doen't have spell check yet. Obviously, I'd DIE without it in other situations!:p