Schools that de-emphasize stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisconsin1011

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend MSTPs that are known to weigh research experience/letters of recommendation/essays/CV more heavily than GPA/MCAT? I am looking to add schools to my list that are willing to overlook mediocre stats in favor of other factors (first author publications, strong letters, compelling personal stories, etc). Of course I haven't even seen any programs with published data for matriculants with GPA < 3.7 and MCAT < 513, but at least some people have to fall below those values to make it the mean.
When I say mediocre, I don't mean <3.0/<510 lol. Let's say minimum GPA > 3.3 and MCAT > 512; although my stats are slightly higher than this, I want to get general advice and make this thread more applicable to more people who may have the same question in the future.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify, you're asking about MSTPs only right? I.e. don't want any non-NIH funded MD/PhD options.

The general consensus is that with low stats you may have luck with the latter (including partially and fully funded MD/PhDs), but others may be able to provide more insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, let's limit the discussion to NIH-funded MSTPs. I have heard n=1 anecdotes regarding UTSW, Colorado, Mount Sinai, and Pitt. Can anyone confirm, deny, or add to this list?

I would not put Sinai and Pitt on that list at all, especially Pitt. I also have my doubts about UTSW belonging there. Their averages are decently high. Colorado not too sure about.

@bunnyluvr can you elaborate on Pitt? Their website says that their average is 3.7/514, which is on the low end anyway for a top 15 school, no?

Oh interesting I didn't realize that. Just my general impression of people who I knew getting interviews at Pitt were really high stats applicants. They could be moving to raise their averages who knows

.... Let's say minimum GPA > 3.3 and MCAT > 512; although my stats are slightly higher than this, I want to get general advice...

You posted a hypothetical with self-descriptive stats. The admission committees of MSTPs have discussions on what their minimum cGPA & MCAT should be... Their main concern for MSTPs AdComm members is to have a renewal of their grant. Low stats in their matriculants will decrease the enthusiasm of reviewers for providing a good score, which impacts the program's grant renewal. MCAT is no longer reported, but cGPA is...

Can you just come out and say your GPA and MCAT, >3.3 isn’t very descriptive