Schools that don't accept AP credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmirchel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there schools that won't accept AP credits for prereqs like Bio or Chem and what are they if any? Or are AP credits pretty much looked at like Community college credits? I have a friend that is wondering if taking AP classes in science is worth it if she is just going to have to retake them. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad among other private schools do not accept science AP credits, only dual credit. Do not expect for AP to equal dual credit at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there schools that won't accept AP credits for prereqs like Bio or Chem and what are they if any? Or are AP credits pretty much looked at like Community college credits? I have a friend that is wondering if taking AP classes in science is worth it if she is just going to have to retake them. Thanks

"Schools"?? I will assume you mean medical schools, but that overlooks the fact that the first hurdle you must clear is the policy toward AP credit at your undergrad institution. Most medical schools don't have a problem with AP credit as long as your undergrad transcript clearly shows the AP credit and the college class(number and description) for which they are giving you credit. Your "friend" also seems not to appreciate the competitive nature of medical school admission. Taking the most challenging classes offered at her high school is step toward a successful college experience. She should get that experience now, while it doesn't affect her pre-med GPA.

The problem with just searching the web on the question of AP credit and medical schools is that there is an incredible amount of BAD information out there. :(

Yes!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
This site is the current "gold standard" on AP credit and medical schools. However, once again, the info on this PDF assumes that your undergrad school has the same AP policy as Rice. (which is spelled out on the top of the page. )

Last edited:
"Schools"?? I will assume you mean medical schools, but that overlooks the fact that the first hurdle you must clear is the policy toward AP credit at your undergrad institution. Most medical schools don't have a problem with AP credit as long as your undergrad transcript clearly shows the AP credit and the college class(number and description) for which they are giving you credit. Your "friend" also seems not to appreciate the competitive nature of medical school admission. Taking the most challenging classes offered at her high school is step toward a successful college experience. She should get that experience now, while it doesn't affect her pre-med GPA.

\

Work smarter not harder! But its a good point.

The Rice PDF is a good guide, although it's a little out of date, and probably the best thing to do is just to take an hour and check the websites of the schools you want to apply to. Most will either state explicitly that they do or don't accept AP credit. If it's not clear, sending a quick e-mail to the admissions office asking about the specific credits you care about will usually work (this is what I did).

For example: The Rice chart says that Ohio State only accepts AP credit if supplemented with higher coursework. However, when I e-mailed them, they said that they will accept APs as long as your UG put it on your transcript.

It's a good starting point, but always contact the schools directly to ask about their AP policy.

I AP'ed out of biology, chemistry, and physics (with no subsequent upper-division coursework), and I had absolutely no issues at UTH or UTMB.

Really? That's a huge relief! What about UTSA? Do you know if they give a crap?

Really? That's a huge relief! What about UTSA? Do you know if they give a crap?

I didn't interview there (another example of how random the admissions process can be), but I know of several friends that were in the same situation with AP credits, and they interviewed/were accepted at UTHSCSA.