Schools that don't require the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 23 y/o from Arizona with a 3.3 gpa in Dietetics. I'll be in the Peace Corps when ideally applying, so taking the PCAT will set me back heavily time wise as I will have to return to take then test then apply. My low grades, which include Cs, were in my first two years included math, stats, gen chem, and microbio. I aced both ochems, biochem, both physics, anatomy and phys, bio 2, and have been on the Dean's list for two years. My resume is full of ECs, including working in a pharmacy in Honduras on an abroad mission, I've taught English in South Korea, studied Spanish in Argentina, I was employed by the university as a TA for chemistry during my undergrad, worked in an ER as a tech after getting a CNA, and tons more. Do you think I can be admitted ? or should I take the PCAT when I get back from the Peace Corps? My first choices are Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), because I'm a nut for diversity and inclusion. FAMU is specifically what I've been looking at for a while; however, I'm Mexican, so I'm not sure if they prefer African-American students. Also, the California schools seem to not require the PCAT, but since I'm not from California I'm not sure if this will set me back. Anyways, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Purdue
Sullivan
MCPHS

are the ones off my head that don't require the PCAT.

Could always just retake those classes or even apply, take the PCAT and see what happens. Never know until you apply.

None of the CA schools require PCAT but GPA standards are pretty high.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the CA schools require PCAT but GPA standards are pretty high.
Exactly. Most of these schools that do not require you to take the PCAT have high GPA expectations. SGPA better be stellar to even get an interview.

Didnt know Purdue does not require the PCAT. Thats news to me.

If I'm not mistaken, they require Calculus II.

http://www.pharmacy.purdue.edu/academics/pharmd/admissions.php

But says on their website the PCAT is not used in the admission process.

i've heard its very competitive.

They also want Immunology which hasn't been a prereq for any of the other schools that I have seen.

Other schools w/o PCAT that haven't been mentioned:
-Rutger's
-Pacific University Oregon
-Oregon State University (wants upper div anatomy AND upper div physiology)

I'm 23 y/o from Arizona with a 3.3 gpa in Dietetics. I'll be in the Peace Corps when ideally applying, so taking the PCAT will set me back heavily time wise as I will have to return to take then test then apply. My low grades, which include Cs, were in my first two years included math, stats, gen chem, and microbio. I aced both ochems, biochem, both physics, anatomy and phys, bio 2, and have been on the Dean's list for two years. My resume is full of ECs, including working in a pharmacy in Honduras on an abroad mission, I've taught English in South Korea, studied Spanish in Argentina, I was employed by the university as a TA for chemistry during my undergrad, worked in an ER as a tech after getting a CNA, and tons more. Do you think I can be admitted ? or should I take the PCAT when I get back from the Peace Corps? My first choices are Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), because I'm a nut for diversity and inclusion. FAMU is specifically what I've been looking at for a while; however, I'm Mexican, so I'm not sure if they prefer African-American students. Also, the California schools seem to not require the PCAT, but since I'm not from California I'm not sure if this will set me back. Anyways, thanks!

Aside from CA schools there is purdue, pacific oregon, mcphs-worcester, both lecoms (bachelors required), and touro NY.

They also want Immunology which hasn't been a prereq for any of the other schools that I have seen.

Other schools w/o PCAT that haven't been mentioned:
-Rutger's
-Pacific University Oregon
-Oregon State University (wants upper div anatomy AND upper div physiology)

So true. There isn't many universities wanting Immunology listed. I know Uni of South Florida wants a upper division school course either Cell Biology or Immunology preferred.