Schools that eventually give instate tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallnugget

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After my interview at Indiana they told us that we would always have to pay out of state tuition. I think this is the same at Michigan, Colorado, and NYU. Im not sure.

Could anyone give me schools where you can get in state tuition eventually?
I think Pittsburgh you can. How bout Temple or Columbia?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After my interview at Indiana they told us that we would always have to pay out of state tuition. I think this is the same at Michigan, Colorado, and NYU. Im not sure.

I think temple and columbia are private schools that have no in-state tuition.

UConn......instate residency from second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought about Temple because it is a private school but they listed on pre dents an in state amount also. Any clue..

That makes sense for Columbia.

Thanks for your help!

Temple is a state-related university, meaning it receives public funds and offers reduced tuition for Pennsylvania residents but is under independent control. Usually, tuition at state-related universities is higher than the tuition at the PASSHE schools due to the independence of the institution. PA resident tuition is at least 10k LESS than out-of-state resident tuition.
From what I hear, Temple is very strict when it comes to changing one's residency for tuition purposes, and no dental student has successfully done it in the past year or so. Maybe if you moved to PA first, worked for a few years, and then applied.. that might work.

NYU is all private; every student is subject to the same tuition requirements.

So damn temple is pretty expensive to attend then? I mean jeez 172K....damn.

So damn temple is pretty expensive to attend then? I mean jeez 172K....damn.

172k isn't bad for private or out of state tuition. Have you seen how much tuition is at USC, NYU, UIC, UOP, Midwestern, etc. cost? They are all over 200, not to mention cost of living in those locations. At the USC interview they told us that we could expect to graduate with around $400,000 in debt, takin into account tuition, supplies, and cost of living.

UNLV lets you have in state after the first year, as long as you set everything up (drivers license, car registration, voter registration, etc.) before the first day of class. If not, you have to wait until after your second year to establish residency.

From what I know, it's pretty easy to get in-state residency status for the SUNY schools after 1 yr, as we were told at the Buffalo interview (kewl!)

Louisville and Kentucky do not allow a change of residency status to get in-state tuition (Louisville makes you sign a contract saying that you'll be OOS for the whole 4 yr - I wish they didn't have this cuz their school is off the hook!).

I'm pretty sure at Ohio St you can get in-state after 1 yr also.

At Buffalo, and I'm pretty sure Stony Brook, you can get instate easily. At Buffalo a couple people bought houses before they started and got in state their first year. Otherwise you get instate your second year. Tuition drops from an already low $32,000 a year to 16,000 a year. I've also heard from people I know at UMDNJ that you can get instate after the first year there as well.

This makes things a lot more interesting. My instate (uic or siu) would run me 100,000 for 4 years but I really didn't like the school and would like to live elsewhere. Temple is 172K. Columbia is 166K. ASDOH is 158K. Pitt is 130ish once you get in state I'm guessing. Also damn Buffalo is a great deal. 16k a year!

Do you guys think its worth the extra debt to go to a school like Temple or Columbia? I'm big on experience and being happy but the money difference being over 50K is a big factor.

All this really doesnt matter till I get accepted anyways but I'm just trying to kill time till dec 1st.

I believe you can get in-state tuition at Maryland after the first year. Can anyone confirm?

I heard UMDNJ gives you instate tuition right from the get go.

Members don't see this ad :)

Who knows about Michigan? Do you have to pay out of state tuition all FOUR years? Arent they a public school?

I'm not sure about Maryland, I know someone who chose our state school over maryland because of the tuition. I'm pretty sure it was because they wouldn't be able to get in-state at Maryland.

172k isn't bad for private or out of state tuition. Have you seen how much tuition is at USC, NYU, UIC, UOP, Midwestern, etc. cost? They are all over 200, not to mention cost of living in those locations. At the USC interview they told us that we could expect to graduate with around $400,000 in debt, takin into account tuition, supplies, and cost of living.

When you attend USC, it's like you buy a house, but you don't get to have it.

Last edited:
Who knows about Michigan? Do you have to pay out of state tuition all FOUR years? Arent they a public school?

its practically impossible to get in state tuition at Umich if you are out of state. they told us that at the interview i think. I have lived in michigan my whole life, as have both my parents, but I went to college out of state, and I still had to fill out like 1000 forms just to prove that i was still an in-state resident. then they kept sending me more and more forms to prove it even more. it was so frustrating! so yeah, answer to the question is i'm 99.9% sure umich doesn't give in state after any amount of time in school there.

Does anyone know, for sure, if Pitt dental school allows you to get instate tuition after the first year?

Thanks..

From what I hear, Temple is very strict when it comes to changing one's residency for tuition purposes, and no dental student has successfully done it in the past year or so. Maybe if you moved to PA first, worked for a few years, and then applied.. that might work.

From what I understand, residency at Temple is determined by your residence for the past 12 months before you enroll. So, starting in August, they would consider where you lived in August the year before.

If that is OOS, but you want to try to get in-state, you have to demonstrate that you moved to Pennsylvania for a reason other than education. Also, I believe you have to demonstrate intent to stay in Penn after graduation (buying a house, switching over your drivers license, checking account, paying taxes, etc). There is information online that is pretty easy to find, and I believe it's difficult if not impossible to switch residency to in-state after having been determined to be OOS.

From what I understand, residency at Temple is determined by your residence for the past 12 months before you enroll. So, starting in August, they would consider where you lived in August the year before.

If that is OOS, but you want to try to get in-state, you have to demonstrate that you moved to Pennsylvania for a reason other than education. Also, I believe you have to demonstrate intent to stay in Penn after graduation (buying a house, switching over your drivers license, checking account, paying taxes, etc). There is information online that is pretty easy to find, and I believe it's difficult if not impossible to switch residency to in-state after having been determined to be OOS.

Where did you find this online information? I have been looking through their website and havent been able to find anything yet. I was going to try and move to PA at the beginning of the summer, get a job, and attempt to start establishing some type of residency so I could maybe get instate tuition after the first year. If anyone has anymore detailed info about this, that would be great! thanks!

Although Michigan is a public school, if they admit you as an out-of-state student, then you are subject to the out-of-state tuition for all 4 years.

Where did you find this online information? I have been looking through their website and havent been able to find anything yet. I was going to try and move to PA at the beginning of the summer, get a job, and attempt to start establishing some type of residency so I could maybe get instate tuition after the first year. If anyone has anymore detailed info about this, that would be great! thanks!

http://www.temple.edu/registrar/documents/PennsylvaniaResidencyGuidelinesandApplication.pdf

Does anyone know whether you can get instate tuition at Pitt after the 1st year?

A general heads up about in state tuition. For most state schools, you need to show a desire that you have, or plan on, staying in the state. If you enter as an out of state student, most expect you to gain a driver's license, vote in the state, have proof of a non-school sponsored residence, register your car there, and pay taxes in the state (have a job). The number one reason they will reject you for instate is because you're doing nothing to prove you have a desire to be a resident.

If you are out of state and hoping to get in, my suggestion would be to move to the area as soon as possible and do all of the above--even a 6 month head start on all that paperwork will make it seem more plausible you wish to become a resident.

Sorry if this isn't the advice people want to hear, but in state tuition in meant for instate students :) But yes, it is possible to get it!

Can you get instate for UCLA?

I believe you can get in-state tuition at Maryland after the first year. Can anyone confirm?

Don't know where you heard this, but that couldn't be further from the truth...

It's VERY difficult to get in-state status in Maryland (i.e. you have to do more than just change vehicle & voter registration, get a Maryland driver's license, or even buy property).

UIC - you won't get in state tuition unless you're an actual Illinois resident.

As far as Temple goes, I can't remember where I heard this at the interview (whether it was from Brian or elsewhere) but essentially you have to prove that you're not just moving to PA for school in order to get in state tuition; which essentially, that is the only reason you'd be moving to the state ... so I'm not sure how you can get around that. I hear this applies to Pitt as well.

Don't know where you heard this, but that couldn't be further from the truth...

It's VERY difficult to get in-state status in Maryland (i.e. you have to do more than just change vehicle & voter registration, get a Maryland driver's license, or even buy property).

I heard it from some friends who went to college park a number of years back, but it looks like they changed their policy recently.

For those who are interested, I found UMD's classification of residency policy -- http://www.testudo.umd.edu/rco/policy.html

It sound similar to what rewJW was saying about Temple, and PSU is right in that it is difficult (but not impossible). To those who may try to claim in-state after a year, closely read section III.

StonyBrook starting second year :thumbup:

From the info packet I got from Temple interview... its around 193,000 out of state:scared:

Not the 172 like predents say. If you include your instrument fees and the out of state tuition they have listen. Its about 183,000 without the instrument fee I believe.

OUCH!!!

Dah well. I suppose we should all expect to pay somewhere around there for D-school. Unless you're talking about USC, NYU, Buffalo.... drastic ends of each..... they all seem pretty similar if you factor living in.

200-250 grand seems about AVG. I suppose that 50 makes a diff though :)

For those that are confused about tuition about Pitt, you cant get instate tution after the first year! Like the other posts say, you need to demonstrate residency for at least a year before you start and show that you have an interest of staying after you graduate. I know that sucks for us out of state!

And about UCLA, you can get instate tution after a year!

Hope that answers many of your questions

From the info packet I got from Temple interview... its around 193,000 out of state:scared:

Not the 172 like predents say. If you include your instrument fees and the out of state tuition they have listen. Its about 183,000 without the instrument fee I believe.

OUCH!!!

Dah well. I suppose we should all expect to pay somewhere around there for D-school. Unless you're talking about USC, NYU, Buffalo.... drastic ends of each..... they all seem pretty similar if you factor living in.

200-250 grand seems about AVG. I suppose that 50 makes a diff though :)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

but it looks like at Buffalo it's also possible to claim in-state after a year (or after one semester for TAs/GAs/RAs/Fellows). "Generally, in-state tuition becomes effective one year after a student has established a New York State domicile."

http://src.buffalo.edu/studentaccount/residency.shtml
(seems like most schools have a residency policy, just have to search for it)

At Buffalo, and I'm pretty sure Stony Brook, you can get instate easily. At Buffalo a couple people bought houses before they started and got in state their first year. Otherwise you get instate your second year. Tuition drops from an already low $32,000 a year to 16,000 a year. I've also heard from people I know at UMDNJ that you can get instate after the first year there as well.

they bought houses a year before starting their first year? im under the assumption that it takes at least 12 months of actual residence to get in state in most states.

things sure changed!

http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/programs/dds/documents/estexpsheet0910Sheet1.pdf

oh wait are talking ONLY tuition? then nm.

Last edited: