Schools that filter for secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DianaUT06

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked...but I can't find a list anywhere. Which schools will give out automatic secondaries, and which filter?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools DON'T filter pre-secondary because they want your application money, but I know that Loyola and the UCs screen.

Most schools don't filter pre-secondary because they want your application money, but I know that Loyola and the UCs screen.

I think you're missing "don't" in there. Besides those, Wisconsin, UNC, Wake Forest, and Vanderbilt (secondary comes with interview invite) screen. Mayo technically screens before they give you the secondary, but they make you pay the "processing fee" of $75 before they look at the AMCAS so it doesn't save any money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Va Commonwealth, UNC and Duke screen. I think Indiana just doesn't have one- this is just from trying to figure it out from their websites

Va Commonwealth, UNC and Duke screen. I think Indiana just doesn't have one- this is just from trying to figure it out from their websites

Duke doesn't screen. They haven't updated their website to reflect this change.

The MSAR tells you whether schools screen or send secondaries to all applicants.

The MSAR tells you whether schools screen or send secondaries to all applicants.

It's a good starting point, but you want to double check that with the schools themselves though. It only posts what the school did the prior year and so the information will be wrong if a school changes from one year to the next.

I think Indiana just doesn't have one- this is just from trying to figure it out from their websites

they technically do have a secondary, but i don't think there were any essays (last year anyway). just some forms to get filled out and of course another check to write. i can't remember for sure if they screen or not though, but i was under the impression that they did.