Schools that read SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the Osteo forum, someone mentioned that most schools have a dean or two who read SDN and sometimes students are confronted about their postings. I assume this happens at allo schools too since it's come up before, so if that's true, my question is, which schools read this stuff and what the hell's the point? It's not like a bad review of a school is going to make people not apply.

And if they do read, how do they know who's who? I find this disturbing actually.

Members don't see this ad.

On the Osteo forum, someone mentioned that most schools have a dean or two who read SDN and sometimes students are confronted about their postings. I assume this happens at allo schools too since it's come up before, so if that's true, my question is, which schools read this stuff and what the hell's the point? It's not like a bad review of a school is going to make people not apply.

And if they do read, how do they know who's who? I find this disturbing actually.

I'm sure it has to do with curiosity. If I was a school admin, I'd like to at least have an idea of what goes on about my school. Take a look at the CCLCM thread in school discussions. Their dean directly responded to one of ONOY's posts.

They can probably identify you if you post your stats (or have an MDapps link) and post about when you're interviewing at said schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are schools that read SDN. I know of 3 for sure that do, but I never asked about it at any other schools.

They can figure out who you are based on your MDapps, interview date, or any other identifying information you give out.

While I don't know which schools specifically read this board, some people make it fairly easy for a school to figure out who they are on here, either by a very specific MDApps (i.e. how many people with my exact stats applied to my exact schools from my undergrad), or otherwise make it obvious who they are (i.e. uses parts of their name as their username or uses their face as their avatar, etc). Most likely, I doubt they'd really care about anything they say on here unless it's really off-color, but I think the information they're looking for more is what schools you've already been accepted to, that way if they don't think you'd accept their school over the places you're already accepted at, they won't waste time giving you a spot that they think you'll turn down later.

Anything you post online for the public to see they will also that goes for facebook and other things like that(I know an interviewer who does look at these things). As for why they do it, well im sure there are many reasons but i guess maybe just to get some backround on you? Its probably hard to tell what you are like at an interview since everyone puts on their fake persona. Just a guess, regardless it shouldnt matter.

I would be surprised if a school didn't poke around on SDN occasionally.

That doesn't mean they try to figure out who is who for everybody, but if there is a real trouble maker... I don't see how it would be hard to figure out.

If someone posts an MDApps with very specific stats and says they interviewed at this school on X date, what are the odds that there is someone with identical stats, age, gender, any other MDApps info that happened to be at that school on that day?

I kinda want to delete my mdapps now...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
The alternative is to not say anything dumb or suggestive in a public forum. Choose wisely!

Heh, this :) That was pretty much what I think, so even though I'm positive a school could figure me out in about 15 minutes if they really wanted to, I don't care because I haven't said anything on this site that I'd be ashamed of.

are amazing, thoughtful, selfless, and are very intelligent.:thumbup:

Well then it's gonna be hard for schools to identify you based on your behavior here :smuggrin:

I think more than trying to "spy" on the applicants, adcoms go on SDN to see what the newest rumors are about the school. It's sort of easier to prepare for the deluge of "did I get in?!" phone calls when you know someone made up a story about the dean calling people on a certain day. It's also easier to know what your school's reputation is among the general public and address the issues at interviews ("I hear you guys think our student body is competitive...well it's not...").
On the other hand, don't be an idiot in a public arena, and you'll be fine.

The Dean of Admissions at Case Western read one of my threads once. I thought it was sorta awesome. Buuuut I'm a dork :D

Perhaps they're reading this thread right now?

I always wonder how you can get a job at a medical school reading SDN forums. If there was ever an opening, I know of at least a dozen posters on this forum who would qualify for that.

I think more than trying to "spy" on the applicants, adcoms go on SDN to see what the newest rumors are about the school. It's sort of easier to prepare for the deluge of "did I get in?!" phone calls when you know someone made up a story about the dean calling people on a certain day. It's also easier to know what your school's reputation is among the general public and address the issues at interviews ("I hear you guys think our student body is competitive...well it's not...").

Same here, I don't think they're bothering to check or to uncover anyone's identity, I think they're doing it just to get a better idea of how everyone else is perceiving their school. They're doing it for PR values I guess. That being said, I still kind of think it's a waste of time for them to snoop around without doing anything to help out their applicants. If they're going be on here, at least create a real profile (such as "Dr. So and so, Dean of Admissions at Bestest Best Medical school") and help answer our questions about their school. I can't tell you how much time that would probably save the admissions office, cause instead of taking a hundred phone calls from applicants checking their interview status or asking about deadlines, recommendations, etc, just post it on the forum and broadcast it to everyone.

The dean of admissions at every school I interviewed at mentioned SDN. Some were to dispel rumors, some just to mention that they have a feel for what is being said about their institutions.

No one was trying to ID people.

My name is ***** ***** and I am an excellent candidate to so-so schools I'm applying to. Please accept me to your school since you know I deserve it. :p

I would be happy to discuss all my posts including the ones that got me in trouble.

SDN was mentioned when I interviewed at TCMC in Scranton. The school even has an SDN account under the name 'TCMC'

do schools care if we share info abt our status on the WL(s)? Will that negatively affect our chances for acceptance if we share some WL movement info w/ others here :scared:?

i never really though about deans looking at SDN but i guess it happens.

Well, if your SDN posts affect your admission, it doesn't mean that the affect is necessarily is going to be negative. I can think of a few members here who would actually benefit if a school knew their SDN SN. So instead of trying to insult people all the time and keeping everything anonymous (so you think), you might instead try to be more helpful and understanding. What will you have to worry about then? I guess if you do a really great job you might get an interview based on your SDN history. Hahahahaha. That would be a nice one and I am sure there are at least a few SDNers who have benefited from their comments here if the school indeed knew who they were.

I can imagine a day when SDN becomes a place where students make posts in hopes of getting a positive reaction from adcoms. That will be a sad and corny day, given how students pad their ECs!

Well, if your SDN posts affect your admission, it doesn't mean that the affect is necessarily is going to be negative. I can think of a few members here who would actually benefit if a school knew their SDN SN. So instead of trying to insult people all the time and keeping everything anonymous (so you think), you might instead try to be more helpful and understanding. What will you have to worry about then? I guess if you do a really great job you might get an interview based on your SDN history. Hahahahaha. That would be a nice one and I am sure there are at least a few SDNers who have benefited from their comments here if the school indeed knew who they were.

I can imagine a day when SDN becomes a place where students make posts in hopes of getting a positive reaction from adcoms. That will be a sad and corny day, given how students pad their ECs!

SDN will be so boring if that happens.

At WashU i heard a story from one of the applicants. During downtime between interviews she was on sdn posting. The director walked up behind her, and says, "Oh, so YOU are ........!" She still got in.

Maybe. But you've got to admit, premeds stress about the strangest things sometimes.

Remember when there were multiple threads about glasses, and whether they were good to wear to interviews, whether wearing them would prevent you from being a good doctor, etc? That dean must have been laughing her tuchus off then.

They can probably identify you if you post your stats (or have an MDapps link) and post about when you're interviewing at said schools.
The Dean of Admissions at my school figured out who I am. I don't know if she knew before or after I matriculated. It's not very hard to figure out based on my MDapps.

I think this is correct. For example, our Director of Admissions checked SDN after Second Look to see what people thought.

"Paranoia strikes deep."

You guys need to take it easy.

I'm sure it has to do with curiosity. If I was a school admin, I'd like to at least have an idea of what goes on about my school. Take a look at the CCLCM thread in school discussions. Their dean directly responded to one of ONOY's posts.

Talk about sticking my foot in my mouth...

That was actually pretty embarrassing lol I looked like a complete jerk.

Again: My name is ***** ***** and I am an excellent candidate to so and so schools I'm applying to. Please accept me to your school since you know I deserve it. :p

Perhaps they're reading this thread right now?

I always wonder how you can get a job at a medical school reading SDN forums. If there was ever an opening, I know of at least a dozen posters on this forum who would qualify for that.

If that's the case:

middle-finger-of-the-apocalypse.jpg

The Dean of Admissions at my school figured out who I am. I don't know if she knew before or after I matriculated. It's not very hard to figure out based on my MDapps.

I think this is correct. For example, our Director of Admissions checked SDN after Second Look to see what people thought.

Sounds like the adcoms are almost as stressed/paranoid as the premeds...