schools that require grade updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derf

Ohio Land
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which schools ask for grade updates. If you do know of such schools, do they ask for updates with the secondaries or during the interview.

thanks for any insight and best of luck to all :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

bump bump bump

My guess would be that all schools want you to keep them updated about your grades.

After I finished my fall semester I sent the updated transcripts to all the schools where I wasn't rejected yet. After my spring semester I plan on sending the transcripts to the school I choose as well as to the schools where I'm waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick guess would be ANY school that waitlists you :D

I know there was one person I talked to post-interview who was told (interviewer read a letter from the guy's file) to send in updated grades.

You have to think about the timeline.

AAMC -> Secondaries -> interview
Secondaries start arriving almost immediatly after the AMCAS app is sent to the schools. And interviews can happen 2 months after that!

So, as to when? I say post-interview (unless you have something to update...) But other people may know better.

TheRussian said:
After I finished my fall semester I sent the updated transcripts to all the schools where I wasn't rejected yet. After my spring semester I plan on sending the transcripts to the school I choose as well as to the schools where I'm waitlisted.

I agree; I've been sending updates to all schools, every term.

TheRussian said:
My guess would be that all schools want you to keep them updated about your grades.

I understand its highly encouraged to update often, but do any schools actually "require" updates in the sense that they have grade update boxes on their secondaries or they send you letters saying "please update your grades before we make our decision. We want to see that your lazy ass didn't slack off."

I didn't send grade updates to any of my schools, and I was still fine. Granted, many of my decisions were in December of prior to that. If you are put on a waitlist though, you will likely have to send in updates if you want to get off of it.

derf said:
I understand its highly encouraged to update often, but do any schools actually "require" updates in the sense that they have grade update boxes on their secondaries or they send you letters saying "please update your grades before we make our decision. We want to see that your lazy ass didn't slack off."

Don't think that that is part of any secondaries but you definetely have to send the final transcript to the school you get accepted to and plan on attending after may 15. All the schools I've been accepted at requested it. Also you probably have to send the final transcript to the schools where you were waitlisted.

As you say, they want to make sure that your level of performance is fairly consistant even after being accepted.

O.K., so what I'm hearing is you don't have to update grades on the secondaries nor do you have to bring updated transcripts with you on interview day. But that 1) updates are highly encouraged for borderline students who are waitlisted and need some assitance getting off and 2) you need to send in updates "after" you've been accepted for final validation and verification.

derf said:
O.K., so what I'm hearing is you don't have to update grades on the secondaries nor do you have to bring updated transcripts with you on interview day. But that 1) updates are highly encouraged for borderline students who are waitlisted and need some assitance getting off and 2) you need to send in updates "after" you've been accepted for final validation and verification.

You got it :thumbup:

derf said:
you need to send in updates "after" you've been accepted for final validation and verification.
I hate that part. I have a fair number of transcripts to send. And none of them have changed in the past few years... So basically, I'm sending in what I already sent to amcas. Why can't they just get it from there!!! :mad: