Schools that Take Step 1 after Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While researching the curricula at different schools, I realized there is a trend of schools taking Step 1 after their rotations. Which schools are currently doing this? So far I have:

Duke
Vanderbilt
U Penn
Baylor
UCSF
Harvard (Pathways)
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Western Michigan
U Michigan
FIU
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Yale
Stony Brook

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Western Michigan. There was some conversation regarding it leading to higher scores based on evidence from cornell.

Thanks for the responses. Current list is:

Duke
Vanderbilt
U Penn
Baylor
UCSF
Harvard (Pathways)
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Western Michigan
U Michigan

During my interview there, I was told FIU does this as well.

Quinnipiac takes it during or after third year as well.

Can anyone speak to the advantages and disadvantages of this? In theory, it sounds like a great idea...

Can anyone speak to the advantages and disadvantages of this? In theory, it sounds like a great idea...
Well the kool aid is that step 1 is becoming more clinical with its question styles and having the year of rotations under your belts means that you can draw out more info from the question stems than others.

The downside is obviously that you require longer retention of your preclinical knowledge throughout your rotations

TBH the importance of each of these varies drastically from person to person. E.g. I keep up with my Anki deck that spans back almost 3.5 years so the extra time of retention wouldn't be a problem for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Heard from an M1 that Stony Brook just started this year.

Well the kool aid is that step 1 is becoming more clinical with its question styles and having the year of rotations under your belts means that you can draw out more info from the question stems than others.

The downside is obviously that you require longer retention of your preclinical knowledge throughout your rotations

TBH the importance of each of these varies drastically from person to person. E.g. I keep up with my Anki deck that spans back almost 3.5 years so the extra time of retention wouldn't be a problem for me.
I heard what @kb1900 stated as well regarding step I becoming more clinical. I wonder if we heard it from the same school.

I am unsure of the downside, but the only thing I can think of is organizing rotations in the specialty of your choice and getting some other speciality specific ducks in a row prior to residency application. If your entire app is built around NS up till that point and you score 220 on STEP I, I suppose you will have a bad time. Conversely if your entire app is built around IM and you score 270 you might have a difficult time figuring out how to get your app to be more competitive for Derm if the step score suddenly has you thinking of the possibilities.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard what @kb1900 stated as well regarding step I becoming more clinical. I wonder if we heard it from the same school.

I am unsure of the downside, but the only thing I can think of is organizing rotations in the specialty of your choice and getting some other speciality specific ducks in a row prior to residency application. If your entire app is built around NS up till that point and you score 220 on STEP I, I suppose you will have a bad time. Conversely if your entire app is built around IM and you score 270 you might have a difficult time figuring out how to get your app to be more competitive for Derm if the step score suddenly has you thinking of the possibilities.
Exactly. The more I think about it, the more I see this being the "real" downside.

Though even then the considerations aren't significant unless you're gunning for something super competitive. still, it seems like more and more ppl are taking research years and what not to get more competitive for the super competitive specialties - even at the top schools