Schools that won't allow Interfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iduwanna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNC Chapel Hill says they want any letter that doesn't come from a committee to be signed across the seal of the envelope by the writer.

Many other schools' websites say that non-committee letters need to be sent directly from the letter writer and be on the university's official stationary.

It seems like this isn't really compatible with using Interfolio.

So, has anyone had a problem with UNC or any other school accepting letters from Interfolio?

There have been a lot of similar threads, but they mainly consist of people singing praises to Interfolio and not really addressing this question.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be attending UNC in the fall, used Interfolio as my letter service, and had no problems. The request that the seal be signed is meant to ensure confidentiality, and most schools understand that third-party letter holding services such as Interfolio and VirtualEvals do just that. Not all schools will accept electronic transmissions of the letters, but I imagine that any letter written on school letterhead, and sent through Interfolio (confidentially) would be acceptable to an admissions committee.

I plan on using interfolio to send a paper copy of letters to schools who do not use interfolio, letter writers can still use school letterhead, most have electronic versions that they can upload on interfolio, and when you use interfolio there is a form you electronically sign that shows you give up your rights to read the letter, I would ask that school if that is enough because that is the point of having them sign the envelope.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think interfolio is universally recognized as a trusted letter "guardian." i have never heard of a school not accepting a letter from them.

when you have professors submit letters to interfolio, you waive your rights to see them. everything about the letter is the same as if you submitted it directly from the writer to the school except that you're not harassing your writer to send 20 letters.

also, your letters will be assembled into a packet with your amcas id and name. you won't have to check back with schools to see if each writer has submitted their letter.

it's just way more convenient and reliable than any other alternative.

for the school letterhead thing, is it possible to do this electronically, or do my writers still have to mail in a letter signed/typed on letterhead, so that it could be scanned? If so I'll have to provide envelope/stamps too

for the school letterhead thing, is it possible to do this electronically, or do my writers still have to mail in a letter signed/typed on letterhead, so that it could be scanned? If so I'll have to provide envelope/stamps too

your recommender will have the option of submitting their letter electronically, by fax, or by mail. if they're technologically challenged, they can always do the good ol' printed on letterhead thing.

From WVU website:

1. All recommendation letters must be on or accompany our original waiver and scoring sheets and have an original signature.
2. Recommendation letters must be sent directly from each referee or institution to us.

"Be on or accompany our original waiver and scoring sheets..."?

call the school and ask.

a school i applied to requested something similar, and i just couldn't do it. i called their office and they were more than willing to work with me.