Schools where you should use the acronym, not the full name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EX:
University of California, Los Angeles - everyone just says UCLA. I feel like it would sound stilted if you wrote out the whole name.

What about others?

Should I put SLUSOM instead of St. Louis University School of Medicine? What about the University of Michigan? Should I just put Michigan?

Meanwhile, it seems like OSU really likes having their name typed out as "The Ohio State University".

I mean I know it's not a big deal but I'm just curious and I thought it would make for interesting discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

In my essays, I wrote out the entire name the first time I mentioned it, and then just used the acronym

Reactions: 4 users
Lol... How on earth did you think a thread on this newfound etiquette of school acronyms would result in an interesting discussion? Can we party together one day? I feel like you'd be really philosophical and fun if we hit a blunt together. Oh and you always give examples, that's another good party quality.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just scan each school's website and see how they refer to themselves, then adopt that same nickname/acronym (typically after using the full name at first mention).

Reactions: 1 user
WashU (Washington University in St. Louis),
Cal/UCB (University of California, Berkeley),
NYU (New York University),
UNC?

P&S is fine/widely accepted at Columbia, but when I was applying, I would generally err on the side of using the school's full name unless it was explicitly clear that it wasn't required.

Ohio State University is 22 characters. If you only have 250 characters for an essay, you just blew 8% spelling it out. While it's good to be formal, if it impedes your ability to stay under limit, abbreviate.

Ohio State University is 22 characters. If you only have 250 characters for an essay, you just blew 8% spelling it out. While it's good to be formal, if it impedes your ability to stay under limit, abbreviate.

Don't they go by "The Ohio State University" just to make it all the longer?

Reactions: 3 users

If that's the case, I'm sure they'd understand.
Just spell it out the first time and maybe at the end but keep it abbreviated elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't use the acronym if you apply to South Hampton Institute of Technology...
HAHAHAHAHA.... I really needed that, today has been pretty rough... love it :)

If you want to see a school with an amusingly long name, look at Texas Tech-El Paso, for which the full name is Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine, or TTUHSCEPPLFSOM for short. When I wrote secondaries for here last year, I wrote the name once, but went with PLFSOM the rest of the way. I would've hit the word limit too fast otherwise.

I'm pretty sure Ohio State (tOSU) added the "The" because of a copyright controversy with Ohio University in which they were fighting over who was allowed to print "Ohio" on their t-shirts. Not sure how it solved that problem, though...

Quick tip: They are super touchy about the difference between Ohio U and Ohio State. Always double check :p

I'm pretty sure Ohio State (tOSU) added the "The" because of a copyright controversy with Ohio University in which they were fighting over who was allowed to print "Ohio" on their t-shirts. Not sure how it solved that problem, though...

Quick tip: They are super touchy about the difference between Ohio U and Ohio State. Always double check :p
Oh yeah well that's cause there's a big difference between Ohio U and Ohio State!

You don't say!? I feel like Ohio U and Ohio State is just about the same as Texas and Texas State, if you mix them up someone will hold a grudge against you forever and you will never be forgiven for committing one of the worst transgressions.