schools wit bad rep.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which dental schools have a bad reputation and wouldn't consider applying to. I will be applying to all california schools (ca resident), and also out-of-state schools but don't know which ones. I guess i would like schools that are not too expensive, accept more than just a few out of state applicants, programs with clinical emphasis, and not located in the middle of nowhere like kansas or someplace( specifically middle or south farm states; dont want to go there :D

Members don't see this ad.

dWiz said:
which dental schools have a bad reputation and wouldn't consider applying to. I will be applying to all california schools (ca resident), and also out-of-state schools but don't know which ones. I guess i would like schools that are not too expensive, accept more than just a few out of state applicants, programs with clinical emphasis, and not located in the middle of nowhere like kansas or someplace( specifically middle or south farm states; dont want to go there :D

hey dwiz. You know, I don't think any school really has a bad reputation. They're all pretty good.

But if you want clinical: don't apply to Harvard or Columbia, or UCONN

Accept more than just a few outta state: do not apply to SUNY Stony Brook or maybe even Buffalo.

Not Expensive: do not apply to USC, NYU, BU, Tufts

Maybe others could add to my lists as I only really applied to 13 schools, and interviewed at even less. I don't know how helpful this is, but at least I'm helping you narrow it down.

Oh, but as for a bad rep. I do hear people talking negatively about UCSF for some reason. Seems a lot of students are unhappy there. Never been there, so I don't know myself...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to Buffalo and am from California. If you can deal with the weather it seems like a very solid school...don't cross them off the list too fast!

thx for the input. I didnot know some people dont like UCSF, i thought it was one of the best in the nation. The only schools i have heard negative comments about are NYU and univ. of florida.

"Farm state":in middle of nowhere, potatoe fields everywhere, ok a better word would be : "backward states": the ones that voted for Bush? j/k :D

I also got accepted to Buffalo, and I am an Indiana resident. I thought they accepted a fair number out of state.

DWiz,

Some schools that accepted a significant number of CA residents (<5) in 2000 include:

MA: BU, Tufts, Harvard
NY: NYU, UB, Columbia
PA: UPenn, Temple, Pitt
NE: Creighton
OH: Case

There's a newer listing of it in ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. You can buy it from adea.org or just go to your school's pre-health advising office. They should have it.

Good program to look into w/the stuff you mentioned is ULouisville.. check it out. And even though Iowa is not in the best location, they have an awesome program. I was thoroughly impressed with both programs as they are very strong clinically. Good luck! BTW, I know Louisville accepts something like 36-40 out of staters out of 80.

Hmm. Thanks guys... I stand corrected on Buffalo. I know 4 sure that stony brook is like 100% new york state people, so I just assumed. In my defense, I did say "maybe even buffalo." :p

So, thinking of some schools for you dwiz. These are schools you should apply to (given your criteria): Temple, Nova, Detroit Mercy, UMichigan, case, pittsburg, UNC. I dunno what else. I'm mostly an east coast guy.

As for UCSF - yeah, I had read that it was pretty amazing too (esp. with research funding)! But just from listening people talk about it, it doesn't seem so hot. Whatever, go there... I dare you!! :rolleyes:

delicious said:
As for UCSF - yeah, I had read that it was pretty amazing too (esp. with research funding)! But just from listening people talk about it, it doesn't seem so hot. Whatever, go there... I dare you!! :rolleyes:

I would if they accept me :D

dWiz said:
I would if they accept me :D

Fine then. Just don't send me any postcards from San Fran saying: "Oh delicious, you were right about UCSF. I'm so unhappy here." Because I'll just laugh and laugh and laugh! :p :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey delicious,

just to kill the myth about Stony Brook. We are not 100% NY. In fact I guy in my class is from your home town, Maine. Also, they are dramatically changing their acceptances in the future. Starting with incoming class 2009 they would like to have at least 25% out of state.

delicious said:
Fine then. Just don't send me any postcards from San Fran saying: "Oh delicious, you were right about UCSF. I'm so unhappy here." Because I'll just laugh and laugh and laugh! :p :rolleyes:

tbeaven said:
Hey delicious,

just to kill the myth about Stony Brook. We are not 100% NY. In fact I guy in my class is from your home town, Maine. Also, they are dramatically changing their acceptances in the future. Starting with incoming class 2009 they would like to have at least 25% out of state.

He's from Calais?! That is extremely random - and extremely funny in more ways than one! :eek: What's his name?!

Thanks for the info on stony brook - it's good that they're opening things up to out-of-staters. I think it's important to work/play with people from other parts of the country, with their different views, experiences, and ideas. I know that sounds corny and pc, but it's true.

You know, when I applied I got accepted to a bunch of competitive schools, but didn't even get an interview from Stony Brook. I didn't really want to go there, but I've heard good things about Stony Brook and wanted to visit. And chill in the hamptons with paris hilton, p. diddy, and all them people.

ItsGavinC said:
Come on man, it's a state that has farms in it. One farm doesn't do it, there have to be lots of farms, like 20+ in the state.
true that, good definition :thumbup:

dWiz,
When I was at UMDNJ they said that they wanted to get the word out about how solid their school was, and one of they ways they are going about it is accepting people from all across the country. It may look like they only accept residents but that is because they make you a resident before you get there so you can have in-state tuition. I am from California but on the records it says that I am a New Jersey resident and that they accepted a NJ resident.

Johnson22 said:
dWiz,
When I was at UMDNJ they said that they wanted to get the word out about how solid their school was, and one of they ways they are going about it is accepting people from all across the country. It may look like they only accept residents but that is because they make you a resident before you get there so you can have in-state tuition. I am from California but on the records it says that I am a New Jersey resident and that they accepted a NJ resident.

that's interesting how do you do that? I wouldn't want to pay out-of-state tuition fee...... don't u have to live there for a year or something to be considered resident?

dWiz said:
thx for the input. I didnot know some people dont like UCSF, i thought it was one of the best in the nation. The only schools i have heard negative comments about are NYU and univ. of florida.

"Farm state":in middle of nowhere, potatoe fields everywhere, ok a better word would be : "backward states": the ones that voted for Bush? j/k :D

So...Texas is a "farm state" even though Houston is the 5th largest city in the country (UT-Houston)...not to mention Dallas (Baylor) and San Antonion (UT-SA)?

Delicious and dwiz.....I too heard many neagtive things about UCSF from friends who are 2nd and 3rd year students there. I used to think that many dental students hated the school they were at just because it was hard work.

I used to say to my friend at UCSF, "Don't worry. I'm sure most dental students feel the way you do. You guys think the grass is greener on the other side, but how do you know that for sure?"

His reply was - "Oh yeah?? Ask the students at UOP if they like their school. Is it a coincidence that they are happy people by nature?"

Any lay person would think UCSF is a good school by it's name since it's associated with the med school's reputation. I'm sure that any predental student who has visited or interviewed at the school has a better perspective. I know when I interviewed there all I could think was how the other dental schools were better (in terms of facilities and making you feel comfortable and student morale). But, in the back of my mind UCSF's "great rep" wanted me to look at the brighter side and I made excuses as to why I wanted to go there....almost convincing myself that the school was right for me. It's amazing what the consensus' perception of a school can do to distort the decision making for a student. I even went as far as disagreeing with my friends who hated being there! ha!

TX Hopeful said:
So...Texas is a "farm state" even though Houston is the 5th largest city in the country (UT-Houston)...not to mention Dallas (Baylor) and San Antonion (UT-SA)?

Exactly, Texas has alot of farms, way more than 20. [BTW what kind of farms are we talking here? Cotton? Wheat? Cattle? Dairy? Fruit? ...]

Alot of your "middle of nowhere" towns have more than 20 farms. So, I guess to everyone outside of Texas, we are a farm state.

And yes, you will have to buy a horse; Texas schools don't have parking, just stalls to leave our horses. :D

And contrary to popular belief, not everyone in Texas voted for Bush or is a cowboy. :)

dWiz said:

Just out of curiosity, what did you hear negative about UF? The only thing I have heard is that they are very partial to their undergrad students, but supposedly they are making improvements to their school to make it seem like less of a "dungeon."

Doesn't Gainseville have a high population of serial killers?

airvent said:
Doesn't Gainseville have a high population of serial killers?

I assume you are reffering to the ONE gainesville serial killer back in early 1980's?? Just look at all the killings in big cities... no worries in the small college town anymore! Besides, you have a GREAT football tradition at UF and lots of tailgating to look forward too!! :D

TX Hopeful said:

This is really just a nitpicky thing, but Houston is actually #4. #5 was Philadelphia until it was surpassed by Phoenix last year.

dds said:
Any lay person would think UCSF is a good school by it's name since it's associated with the med school's reputation. I'm sure that any predental student who has visited or interviewed at the school has a better perspective. I know when I interviewed there all I could think was how the other dental schools were better (in terms of facilities and making you feel comfortable and student morale). But, in the back of my mind UCSF's "great rep" wanted me to look at the brighter side and I made excuses as to why I wanted to go there....almost convincing myself that the school was right for me. It's amazing what the consensus' perception of a school can do to distort the decision making for a student. I even went as far as disagreeing with my friends who hated being there! ha!

Yeah, UCSF apparently has an amazing medical school. A top 5 in the USNews rankings if that means anything to you. I know that some people who get accepted to top med schools like harvard and hopkins don't even get interviews at UCSF (& they're cal residents).

I guess the moral of the story is to not judge a school by anything except for their dental program. But I wonder what UCSF people think about this. Their opinion would be welcomed. :D I don't want to turn this into a UCSF-hate fest. Although I wouldn't mind participating in a UCONN hate fest if anyone's interested. :rolleyes:

defender90 said:
And contrary to popular belief, not everyone in Texas voted for Bush or is a cowboy. :)

say what !! :eek:

frogger33 said:
...Besides, you have a GREAT football tradition at UF and lots of tailgating to look forward too!! :D

and it's going to get better - I watched Urban Meyer coach here in Utah for two years and he is an amazing football coach. I bet you'll have a national championship within 5 years, so I guess if football is important to you, UF would be a safe choice IMHO.

mccarth2 said:
Just out of curiosity, what did you hear negative about UF? The only thing I have heard is that they are very partial to their undergrad students, but supposedly they are making improvements to their school to make it seem like less of a "dungeon."

Where did you hear this? What kind of improvements will they be making?

USUaggie said:
and it's going to get better - I watched Urban Meyer coach here in Utah for two years and he is an amazing football coach. I bet you'll have a national championship within 5 years, so I guess if football is important to you, UF would be a safe choice IMHO.

Hell ya!! I am sooooo excited! UF has the talent (that is something Ron VERY was good at...recruiting!!), so I will be ready! I may be a female dental student hopefull (keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I get accepted), but I LOVE my football even if I do not end up at UF!! :D

dWiz said:

I am from Ca and am attending U-Detroit Mercy. UDM has probability one of the strongest clinically program in the nation. This is my guess based on the high demand for our serves. It is also a very expensive school to attend due to the fact that it is private. However, housing is cheap and the suburban areas are a world of difference from the inner city of Detroit. It is no Cow town. Only experience I have with Texas is that it smelt like cow $hit the whole way through on my way east. UDM accepts more then a few californian. There are 7 in my class. I think they accept 4-8 on avg from Cali.

I'm curious to hear why some of you don't like UCSF, in my opinion, it is pretty damn good for the following reasons.
* It is located in a scientific hub.
* State school, so tuition is cheap for residents.
* In California, so when dental students are taking the boards, it is much easier to find the patients.

Now, these are mostly advantages that is applicable for any california dental school, but I like to know if anyone have anything negative to say, please enlighten me.

jk5177 said:
I'm curious to hear why some of you don't like UCSF, in my opinion, it is pretty damn good for the following reasons.
* It is located in a scientific hub.
* State school, so tuition is cheap for residents.
* In California, so when dental students are taking the boards, it is much easier to find the patients.

Now, these are mostly advantages that is applicable for any california dental school, but I like to know if anyone have anything negative to say, please enlighten me.

Have you ever visited the school or talked to the students that go there? I urge you to find out for yourself if you're interested in applying to UCSF. Don't go by opinions on SDN solely.

As for your reasons above as to why UCSF is a good school, my belief is that those do not make for a great dental school. However, remember, that this is my opinion.

"* It is located in a scientific hub" -- Very true. Maybe the best thing about UCSF is that they have a lot of research going on. This helps especially if you want to specialize. But, I'm sure the name of the school does more for your chances of getting into a specialty program than research at the school.

"* State school, so tuition is cheap for residents." -- True again, but this does not say anything about the quality of education nor does it project a student's happiness.

"* In California, so when dental students are taking the boards, it is much easier to find the patients." -- There are 4 other dental schools in cali. What's so unique about this?

I'm sure UCSF graduates many clinically sound and capable dentists just like any other school. However, their facilities are dismal (the labs and clinic floor look like you've stepped into a time machine back to the 70's). Also, there are many specialties at UCSF, which is a bad thing for dental students because they can't get many of the patients they need.

My impression is that UCSF gets praised for its research and reputation that goes along with the med school. There are many other schools out there that will prepare you to be better on the clinic floor. We're going to school to become great dentists. The school's name does not define how good of a dentist one is.

dWiz said:
that's interesting how do you do that? I wouldn't want to pay out-of-state tuition fee...... don't u have to live there for a year or something to be considered resident?

The word is that you can get in state tuition starting your first year of school there and you DON'T have to live there for a year prior (that's what I've seen posted on SDN at least).

Also, another reason not to cross Buffalo and Stony Brook off your list is because you will get instate tuition by your second year, after you've lived there for a year. Not a bad deal.

dwiz

Since you are getting many answers to your initial question... here is my 2 cents.

If you look for a d-school beyond CA, then consider what matters to you most 1st.

- or Neither?

IMHO, all dental schools are the same, the setting and curriculums vary however. Look for a school that you can have good time for the next 4 years first, and even though it's difficult to determine that at this point (as a pre-dent), consider schools that also fit your preferences most. When you get interviews in the future... you will know which one it is.

One or two people might share their bad experience about a school they you would like to go, it doesnt mean you will too. I personally think, you live through grad school how you want it to be... work hard first, the fun can always wait after d-school.

Good Luck

I visited 5 dental schools during the interview process and here is my take on UCSF. The two deans I met were very nice a down to earth. They were serious about what they did and passionate about providing their students with the opportunity to do what ever they want with their career. The faculty member I interviewed with was very personable and fun to talk with. She was also down to earth and spoke highly of the dean saying he was a "saint." However, some of the other applicants had short interviews and were a bit concerned. It may have been due to their nervousness or an inability to hold a conversation or the interview may have been a jerk or did not wanted to do interviews that day. The interview coordinator was a bit rough around the edges but once you broke through that she was very nice. The student interviewer appeared to be introverted. He was nice in a geeky kind of way. I felt I was carrying the conversation.

The facilities are not straight out of the dark ages as othes have posted. Yes the PRE-clinic is a bit dated but it is under renovation that will most likely be complete by our second year. It still has the old lab benches yet they now have flat screen monitors and new overhead lights. The instructors also have a new projection system that allows his/her bench work to appear on the students flat screens. When complete the pre-clinic lab will be much like that at AZ, UOP, and Pitt. However, today, the preclinic lab is more like Temples.

The clinic itself is on par with UOP, Pitt, and Temple. I visited UOP the day after my interview at UCSF and I was impressed by their building and pre-clinic lab, but I felt the clinic itself was about the same as UCSF's minus the great windows at UCSF that overlook the bay bridge. Pitts clinics have almost no windows, nor do temples. The ratio of student to prof is 1:8 or 10 as it is at most schools so the clinical education is on par. No students mentioned terrible problems with getting patients as I heard at other schools. However, I did ask my faculty interview about being able to do harder endo cases and I got the impression that those would go to the specialty program. However, b/c of the specialty programs you are taught by some of the finest. You also can network if you want to specialize. In addition, the school emphasizes good board scores so they have a strong didactic program.

If your sole definition of "great" dental school is one that has outstanding clinical than UCSF is not a "great" dental school. If however, you factor in the didactic portion of your education than it is as good if not better than most schools. I say this b/c its clinical program is on par with most other programs and the didactic portion of the program is the same as that received by their medical students.

The happiness factor is a mystery to me. It may be due to the fact the students are worked too hard. It may be due to the fact most students who go there are much to serious and competitive. Who knows. In the end, every dentist I speak to says dental school sucks no matter where you go so go to the least expensive school you can. UCSF falls into that category of affordable.

dWiz said:
Anyone who writes "wit a bad wrap" probably shouldn't be pointing fingers. :laugh: Jk.

dWiz said:

Guess most of the country is backwards then? Better stay in CA. haha.